• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a rifle

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
Hi

New to building a rifle and I have a few questions. Trying to build a 6mmBR bolt action. I understand the 3 main parts, action, barrel and chassis. I can get a chassis based on the action (short or long action), a custom barrel but I am not sure how to start the action portion for this 6mmBR.
Someone mentioned that get a 308 action and take it to a gunsmith. Is that the correct way and also, is there a way that doesn't involve extensive research gunsmith work other than fitting a barrel? No reputable ones in my vicinity so I'll rather avoid it but if need be I can travel out. I don't suppose they build actions specifically for 6mmbr?

Thank you

I run a Borden mountaineer with a 308 bolt face (bedded) in a Matrix pro . Handles 6br and 6ppc without issue. Shoots zeros at 100 yards when I do my part. I shipped my parts to Old Dominion custom rifles . I can’t recommend them enough. This is the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. As far as the action Greg Taylor at Gtaccuracy.com is the man if you want a Borden (and why wouldn’t you).
94854ED4-D119-4221-ADF2-06322648B608.jpeg

BF501BE2-7060-4A6A-9DCA-52948667114C.jpeg

Any short action based upon the parent case 308 WIN size bolt face .473 will work. The main thing to consider is a 6BR magazine conversion kit for the very short 6BR round in an AICS 308 WIN magazine.

Other than that, using headspace gauges and barrel nut to min 55ftlbs should be the easy button.

Reactions: UndFrm and Stavey
Any short action based upon the parent case 308 WIN size bolt face .473 will work. The main thing to consider is a 6BR magazine conversion kit for the very short 6BR round in an AICS 308 WIN magazine.

Other than that, using headspace gauges and barrel nut to min 55ftlbs should be the easy button.

So I need a 308win bolt face .473 and a custom barrel and a chassis to go with it. Correct?
Does this also mean that if I get a custom barrel for a 6.5CM, I can use the same action and effectively convert the caliber with the change of the barrel? Also, considering the magazine tweak as you mentioned.
I don't know a whole lot regarding the headspace and the types of barrels.

Thank you!

So I need a 308win bolt face .473 and a custom barrel and a chassis to go with it. Correct?
Yes
Does this also mean that if I get a custom barrel for a 6.5CM, I can use the same action and effectively convert the caliber with the change of the barrel?
Correct
Also, considering the magazine tweak as you mentioned.
Convert 2-3 to BR and rest stay same for 6.5CM
I don't know a whole lot regarding the headspace and the types of barrels.
Use a "Go-Gauge on the bolt face when spinning on the action. When the bolt just closes on the gauge with no contact with the gauge, set the barrel nut. You can confirm with a no go gauge.
Thank you!
You bet. You can also do the shouldered prefit way. The headspace is determined by the smith chambering the barrel when they know what action you have. Then you just install the barrel hoping the tolerances are all good. If not, you are stuck until it can be figured out.

Reactions: UndFrm
Where in CA are you?
Perhaps use the new member area to meet shooters in your area?
Many have a lot of knowledge and are more than happy to share and encourage a newer member of the sport.

My $0.02 on rifles these days.

Look at actions that take prefits.

Im a budget minded guy, so I also like actions that allow me to swap bolt faces.

I have one action and .223 , 6BR, 6.5 creedmoor, .308, 6.5 PRC, and 300 WSM barrels.

I like prefits.
I can recommend Altus for a great 6br one. Mine is from them and is a hammer.

2 top contenders for actions right now based on Budget are the Arc CDG and the Zermatt Origin.
There are many others and those are two common ones.
The Aero Solus can be had for a great price and less bolt face choice as of right now.
One of the first 2 has more prefit support from more vendors as its been around longer.

There are plenty of really great smiths you can send an action and blank to and get a premo shooter back.
My top choice for this is Fritz at Black Canyon Customs.
The work I have had done is stellar and he is a really nice guy.
He is local to me, but would ship to him based on experience.

Reactions: FireFoot
@powdahound76
You had me at:
I have one action and .223 , 6BR, 6.5 creedmoor, .308, 6.5 PRC, and 300 WSM barrels.

I initially wanted to go for a 6BR and 6.5PRC. Doing some research what I got was that 6.5PRC need a short action with the bolt face of a diameter .540+/-, which is different than a needed dia of .473 for 6BR.
Is this incorrect, can you please shed some light on the needed bolt face to run a 6BR and 6.5 PRC with the same action and a different barrel?

Thank you

Reactions: powdahound76
@powdahound76
You had me at:

I initially wanted to go for a 6BR and 6.5PRC. Doing some research what I got was that 6.5PRC need a short action with the bolt face of a diameter .540+/-, which is different than a needed dia of .473 for 6BR.
Is this incorrect, can you please shed some light on the needed bolt face to run a 6BR and 6.5 PRC with the same action and a different barrel?

Thank you
Yes, you are correct, but if you use an aftermarket action that has interchangeable bolt heads, you can do what you want to do.

Here is a link to article about what you are asking with a list of what needs what size bolt head.

@powdahound76
You had me at:

Thank you

I am running a Zermatt Origin short action.
You can change the bolt head at home with no tools.
So I can run all 3 in a short action.
Then just swap barrels.

I am biased, and they (the Zermatt actions) are just darn good.
My 6BR shoots unbelievably well.
As does my .223, .308, and 6.5 prc.
Havent shot the 300 wsm yet and soon.

Barrel swaps are a breeze with an $80 barrel vice (I use the PMA Tool one) snd a Zermatt action wrench ($80).
I mounted the vice on 2” tube and can lock it down in my receiver hitch, bench vice, or with a couple clamps.