• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building a scope testing rig

tucansam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2012
Wanting to build a scope testing rig that I can use to test the tracking on the various scopes I own, and future purchases. Have seen some of the posts (some here) showing wooden clamp-down styles. Have also seen some pic rail tripod adapters.

Two main questions: considering I would want the platform to be 100% stable, I assume the collective would frown on the idea of a tripod mount, even with a super expensive, fancy tripod. If this assumption is incorrect, what tripod would be recommended for the purpose?

Secondarily, although every thread I see tests at 100 yards or meters, is there any reason it couldn't be done at a closer distance? I have 20y available in my yard, and if I could make a testing target that was sufficiently detailed, to make up for the otherwise tiny reticle movement at such a short distance, any reason why tracking couldn't be tested without having to cart a bunch of stuff out to the range?

Thanks

Are you planning on testing the scopes while mounted on your rifle, or while it is not mounted? Things to consider that will impact your testing:
- Make sure the reticle is level with the target (both must be synced up with each other)
- Distance doesn't make a huge distance, but you must have a target calibrated for that specific distance
- Nothing will be perfect

Awesome way to test scopes to eliminate most factors:
- Take an I-Beam and cement it to the ground
- Mount a pic rail to the I-Beam (I would recommend glass bedding it also)
- Precisely measure 100 yards/meters (based on preference)
- Setup calibrated target for distance

Now, for those of us that don't have access to do that...
Simply get a decent bench rest vice for your rifle that you can bring to the range. It's not much extra gear and will definitely work fine.

If you go to the Riflescopes forum, at the top among the stickies is Killswitch Engage 's scope tracking tests. He built a test rig out of I-Beam as mentioned above. His has levels and leveling feet, and I can't remember what else on it. Pretty badass setup