• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building an M14/M1A

Spots

FNG
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2014
Oliver Springs, TN
So I've started down the long road of building an M14 Dmr style rifle. I started with a Federal Ordinance rifle that I traded for, and so far I've unitized the gas system, reworked the trigger to get a good crisp break, and bedded the action into a heavy profile NM style laminated stock. As it sits the rifle shoots 1.5" at 100 yds with Monarch steel case junk prone from a sling. I plan to have the bolt salt bath nitrided to ease any worries of a soft bolt since it specs out good right now, replace the barrel with a 22" Krieger heavy contour stainless 1:10 twist barrel, and mount the rifle in a Troy MCS that I managed to trade my way into. Then I'll be trying to find some budget glass and working up a handload to make the rifle effective out to 800 yds. While the Troy will mean that unitizing the gas system and bedding the rifle were wasted effort, it will make the rifle more comfortable to shoot for me. Just thought I would share my painfully slow, budget limited build with you guys.

Here is the rifle with my SOE micro rig and one of my hand forged bowies. This is the current setup.

1ca0178f-84e6-4de1-b48c-e743d086cdc4_zps56306d03.jpg

1a9d42f2-56c3-4668-924e-68f5dee9ae69_zps335d33f5.jpg

44f4aebf-0954-4be7-98b5-846a1dd1d017_zps19384dbd.jpg

This is the Troy MCS that is on its way now.

photo1_zpsc66cd716.jpg

photo2_zps95d938d2.jpg

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Very nice, I'd keep the wood. The Krieger barrel and better ammo will bring those groups down well under an 1 MOA

i agree with "keep the wood" im more of a traditionalist when it comes to m14s.

Its a little late for that, the wood stock is already sold and I shipped it today lol. My biggest reason for going with the troy was the fact that I don't have to add a $200 optic mount on top of everything else, as well as the modularity for stocks, buis, pistol grips etc. Thats a damn nice group Cayenne. Don't worry I plan to build another M14 at some point and it'll be a usgi build including the stock, probably on an LRB receiver if I ever get the money.

Last edited:
So I've started down the long road of building an M14 Dmr style rifle. I started with a Federal Ordinance rifle that I traded for, and so far I've unitized the gas system, reworked the trigger to get a good crisp break, and bedded the action into a heavy profile NM style laminated stock. As it sits the rifle shoots 1.5" at 100 yds with Monarch steel case junk prone from a sling. I plan to have the bolt salt bath nitrided to ease any worries of a soft bolt since it specs out good right now, replace the barrel with a 22" Krieger heavy contour stainless 1:10 twist barrel, and mount the rifle in a Troy MCS that I managed to trade my way into. Then I'll be trying to find some budget glass and working up a handload to make the rifle effective out to 800 yds. While the Troy will mean that unitizing the gas system and bedding the rifle were wasted effort, it will make the rifle more comfortable to shoot for me. Just thought I would share my painfully slow, budget limited build with you guys.

Here is the rifle with my SOE micro rig and one of my hand forged bowies. This is the current setup.

1ca0178f-84e6-4de1-b48c-e743d086cdc4_zps56306d03.jpg

1a9d42f2-56c3-4668-924e-68f5dee9ae69_zps335d33f5.jpg

44f4aebf-0954-4be7-98b5-846a1dd1d017_zps19384dbd.jpg

This is the Troy MCS that is on its way now.

photo1_zpsc66cd716.jpg

photo2_zps95d938d2.jpg

Man, these are not cheap plus they are a bitch to install. Let us know how it goes.

Finally got my chassis in. I add it and a Greg Mcgee engineering 1200 lllumen light for my coyote problem. I'll be adding some good glass soon, then moving on to other upgrades. Sorry for the shitty pics, Ill get some better ones up soon.

20140131_150047_zps38e4233a.jpg

Finally got my chassis in. I add it and a Greg Mcgee engineering 1200 lllumen light for my coyote problem. I'll be adding some good glass soon, then moving on to other upgrades. Sorry for the shitty pics, Ill get some better ones up soon.

20140131_150047_zps38e4233a.jpg

Retro toes! Nice rifle :)

I took some better pictures today, thought still cell phone quality. I can't wait to get a bipod and some glass and find out what it'll do.

I finally added glass yesterday. Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x50mm with Vortex precision rings, mounted on QD risers. Bipod is a Leapers 7" for bench work, but I have a Harris 13-25" I will be using normally for field stuff since I can shoot prone, sitting and kneeling with it. I also plan to add a VTAC 2 point sling. The light is a Greg Mcgee Engineering MTE MC-G33 XM-LIMITED 1200 lumen setup, and will be used for shooting coyotes that have been harrasing our cattle at night. Anyways, here we go. I'll be sighting it in and grouping it Saturday.

3ba31e6c-433c-4475-8ca7-d375087eee73_zpsfcb91039.jpg

Looks really nice! I've always had a soft spot for these rifles. Had one once for a good long while, wish I had never sold it. Updated range report please.

Yes, please get us some range reports and how you like the Troy system.
Hopefully this will be your solution to your coyote problem:)

Interesting…

I have an M1A SM pre-ban. I purchased a J. Allen stock system about 1 year ago to make the rifle more usable. However, it is a heavy solution and still does not result in an overly user friendly weapon. The scope mounting still leaves a lot to be desired as there is no integrated rail system.

Lately I have been thinking of selling the rifle and buying a GAP-10 or an MR762. It pains me to do it. This solution is giving me some pause though as it may result in a more user friendly solution.

Do you have any regrets?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting…

I have an M1A SM pre-ban. I purchased a J. Allen stock system about 1 year ago to make the rifle more usable. However, it is a heavy solution and still does not result in an overly user friendly weapon. The scope mounting still leaves a lot to be desired as there is no integrated rail system.

Lately I have been thinking of selling the rifle and buying a GAP-10 or an MR762. It pains me to do it. This solution is giving me some pause though as it may result in a more user friendly solution.

Do you have any regrets?

Thanks in advance!

My only real gripe is it adds weight to an already heavy weapons system. I'll get it on a scale to make sure, but Id say it's in the neighborhood of 15 lbs with the scope, bipod and a loaded 20 rd mag. If you plan to shoot from supported postions for the most part then its awesome, but if you need a CQB setup its a lot like kicking doors with a M249. Its heavy and long, but forlonger distance stuff its perfect

+1 about the weight. It is very heavy.

I am returning to shooting rifles at range since moving back to a place that doesn't outlaw the use of my SA rifles. CA was horrible in that respect. I only have SA rifles as I am left handed and have not yet made the plunge into a bolt action. Therefore, I have a lot to learn over again and even more to learn after joining this group. I love the experience that exists here.

I have a couple of different AR15 types that are much lighter and with shorter barrels for tactical target shooting. Would never even consider an M1A for that type of role. I only use it from a bench with sandbags.

Thank you for your help!

BR,