• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building Code (Roof) Question?

Alpine 338

Lumberjack
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
NW Colorado
Anyone here knowledgeable on building codes, specifically 2018 Residential IBC? Anyone a Builder, Engineer, Inspector, Govt. Bureaucrat , etc. here?

I've looked, and looked, and trying to search on a specific subject sometimes takes you in circles on the internet.

What are the code requirements for a carport vs a covered porch, other than the obvious that you can't park a car under a covered porch? Sometimes these stupid codes apply only when you refer to it by a certain name. For example, if I call it a "Patio", then the roof cannot be over 12-feet high, so I can't call it a Patio.

The only thing I can find is if a Carport is enclosed with more than two walls, then it falls under the rules (code) for a Garage.

Basically my roof will be extended (new construction) 14-ft out beyond the edge of the house, highest part approximately 15-ft sloping down to 8-ft. The roof needs to follow the same line (7/12 pitch) from the peak to the extended over-hang (call it a porch or carport for now) to allow for easy snow shedding. That's why I can't have a stepped roof with a lower pitch, because of the huge amount of snow I get.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
First, I think we need you to go into a little bit more detail with what you mean by "code requirements" - not trying to be a pedantic dick, but what goal/situation/concern do you have about your particular situation that makes you concerned about code requirements? In other words, are you trying to get away with something? Again, no judgement or anything, just trying to get more info.

The real easy button way of doing this is just having a conversation with your local code official so you get it straight from the horses mouth.

Here you take your drawings to zoning, then to the building dept, where they are helpful. If you have an architectural review board, you might need them to sign off. Finally, if you have a well or septic on the property, the health dept's site approval is ahead of the building dept.

Yeah, DO NOT take any drawings or ideas to the building department or any reviewing agency - you're on their radar then.

Make a phone call and ask hypothetical questions - you're asking for a friend. Don't give them an address or anything they can ID you with.

Do you know your snow load?

Yeah, DO NOT take any drawings or ideas to the building department or any reviewing agency - you're on their radar then.

Make a phone call and ask hypothetical questions - you're asking for a friend. Don't give them an address or anything they can ID you with.

Do you know your snow load?
I should've added this when I said call the code official. Use some verbal judo to keep the target off your back.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Ok, background to fill in the voids.

In most Counties in Colorado, they won't let you build a garage or workshop before having a residence on the property. The only way you can build an outbuilding without a residence, is to build an Agricultural Building. No building permits are required for Ag buildings. However, I went ahead and pulled a foundation only permit so the foundation gets inspected and approved for future changes. The original goal was to turn it into a garage/workshop after I built my future house, which is legal to do. I designed it with a full bathroom because County regulations allow you to live in an Ag building while you are constructing a residence, provided you meet sanitary regulations (Bathroom and Septic System).

Fast forward. Because of Covid, Material Shortages, Lack of Reliable Manpower, Inflation, etc., I've changed my plans to turn the current build into a residence (again legal to do), and put off building the future home until things return to to a normal state.

The original intent of the extended roof was to park my skid steer, ATV, firewood, and other crap for the Winter, and park the snowmobiles under it in the Summer. Currently I have a 20-ft shipping container parked there right now full of furniture. I would like to keep it there until the future house it built.

As far as the building department, I cannot get ahold of the guy who makes the determination on matters like this. Since Covid started, most of them are still working from home, except the administrative staff, and everyone else I talk to gives me personal options, instead of hard facts.

Small County, short handed, and from past experiences, they tell you one thing, then change the rules on you when they come in to inspect. Also, they are getting annoyed with me because I ask questions that they think are undermining their authority.

Ground Snow Load is 180#

IMG_20220405_080236113.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, background to fill in the voids.

In most Counties in Colorado, they won't let you build a garage or workshop before having a residence on the property. The only way you can build an outbuilding without a residence, is to build an Agricultural Building. No building permits are required for Ag buildings. However, I went ahead and pulled a foundation only permit so the foundation gets inspected and approved for future changes. The original goal was to turn it into a garage/workshop after I built my future house, which is legal to do. I designed it with a full bathroom because County regulations allow you to live in an Ag building while you are constructing a residence, provided you meet sanitary regulations (Bathroom and Septic System).

Fast forward. Because of Covid, Material Shortages, Lack of Reliable Manpower, Inflation, etc., I've changed my plans to turn the current build into a residence (again legal to do), and put off building the future home until things return to to a normal state.

The original intent of the extended roof was to park my skid steer, ATV, firewood, and other crap for the Winter, and park the snowmobiles under it in the Summer. Right now I have a 20-ft storage container parked there right now full of furniture. I would like to keep it there until the future house it built.

As far as the building department, I cannot get ahold of the guy who makes the determination on matters like this. Since Covid started, most of them are still working from home, except the administrative staff, and everyone else I talk to gives me personal options, instead of hard facts.
What's that roof rafter/joist size? That 8x12GLB should carry your load, but that will depend on the span between posts. I'd get in touch with a structural engineer first, and try and determine your framing assemblies / connection details.

If you're not a residential occupancy yet, you can probably do the extended roof thing - it's all about "life safety" issues for the building department. And generating fees.

If it's just going to be a dirt floor for now, then it can't be a garage or a carport - it's really just a covered outdoor storage space.

Do you have any county / municipal codes that apply? They'll get more specific about land use and what they allow.

Pro Tip: When you call the building department - try and get three different people. You'll most likely get 2-1/2 different answers. Then you'll have to go to the chief building official and get the final answer if you can.

2x12 Select Structural rafters 16" on center. 2x8 Select Strut walls 16" on center. 11-ft span. Ran this by several engineers, and they all say it's over-engineered.

The only code is 2018 IBC, outside of zoning regulations, which most don't apply to me because I'm remote.

2x12 Select Structural rafters 16" on center. 2x8 Select Strut walls 16" on center. 11-ft span. Ran this by several engineers, and they all say it's over-engineered.

The only code is 2018 IBC, outside of zoning regulations, which most don't apply to me because I'm remote.
If your local engineers say it's GTG, that's step one.

If you're leaving the three other sides open, I don't think they can call it anything other than a covered outdoor space. IBC won't necessarily dictate usage except through their occupancy classifications. Ag will be different than R-3 Residential for obvious reasons - life safety.

Can they see your house from the road? Like, how many inspectors are ever driving by your place? Any asshole neighbors that are just dying to call you in?

I think if you leave it unenclosed (three sides open), there's nothing they can say about it as long as you're not into a setback, a flood plain, spotted owl habitat, polar bear breeding grounds, etc etc. My two cents.

Reactions: Alpine 338
Thanks, can't be seen from the road. I'm 3/4-mile back from a locked gate, through a dense forest. The only way they'd see what's under the extended roof was to fly a drone over my property, which probably happens in other jurisdictions.

And for an example, why these rules are just crap. A friend remodeled his place with an extended roof to keep the snow away from the house. Because code specifies eaves cannot be longer than 2-ft. His extended roof now extended the square footage for assessed value. Any way the taxman can get you, they will.

• Angry
And for an example, why these rules are just crap. A friend remodeled his place with an extended roof to keep the snow away from the house. Because code specifies eaves cannot be longer than 2-ft. His extended roof now extended the square footage for assessed value. Any way the taxman can get you, they will.
What!??!!!

That's bullshit, there's no codes for maximum roof overhangs. You have to have anything over two feet (generally) engineered properly, but I'm doing one now with 6 foot overhang (using steel for support).

I'd fight that and make them show me where a roof overhang qualifies as square footage, that's out and out thievery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I think they consider anything covered by a roof beyond the 2-ft mark as covered storage space. The other thing they do here is tax you on your outdoor decks, per sqft.

I think they consider anything covered by a roof beyond the 2-ft mark as covered storage space. The other thing they do here is tax you on your outdoor decks, per sqft.
Same in Tahoe with the decks. Basically anything that keeps rain from hitting the ground is considered "impervious coverage", and gets limited AND taxed.

Hopefully they're only being taxed on "unconditioned space" vs "conditioned space" (interior).

That's why I bought 20 acres in a county out-of-state that has NO building codes. Only thing I have to watch is where the septic is.

Can't wait to move back to America ;)

Good luck man, PM if you need any help navigating the codes.