• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

building long range AR

caver101

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2005
Dalton, GA
I have been out of the AR game for a while (heck, just shooting in general). I am looking at building a 20 or 22" AR and want to use something like the Noveske Switchblock with my M42k suppressor.

Is Noveske the only person doing a 3 position gas block with a std gas system? If not, who else is?

I don't want to use a gas piston at this time.

Re: building long range AR

CASERIGHTSIDEPROFILE.jpg

Just finished building this one. 24" barrell w/ OPS INC muzzle break customed timed to the barrell. VLTOR Modstock, Hogue pistol grip. Nothing Special about the bolt/carrier/trigger group. I am just getting into this myself. this is my first AR.

noveske is one of the best (185$). JP industries makes a adjustable gas block(79$). unfortunately you need a allen head to adjust it.

paladin machine makes 2 and 3 position.

I have spoken with the guy but haven't purchased one.

I see him over on quarterbore sometimes...

I'll pm you his info.

I have had the JP and its not what its cracked up to be and I am not a fan. Still have one new in the wrapper that I will never use.

I had GAP build a 300 whisper SBR and they used a badger steel low profile gas block and drill/tapped it with a set screw to adjust the gas flow with a can (same thing the JP does). It would not stop the gas completely either.

Looking for something like the noveske with 3 positions (full gas, half and off). Guessing nobody makes anything like that but him??

Edit: thanks for the PM

You would be remiss not to click the link in my signature and at least talk to Scott. I've seen with my own eyes not only what a good product Scott builds, but I've seen George Gardner pick up one of Scott's uppers off a prize table......

The guy that sells them over on the Quarterbore forums makes a nice one but I feel that Noveske's Switchblock is worth the price compared to it. At some point Noveske was only selling the Switchblock on his barrels but that may have changed now. I have to say I truly love ALL of my Noveske products, especially the barrels.

I hope this is not off topic, but does anyone know if the Noveski SB, by changing the recoil impulses or otherwise, effects POI. Short range? LR? I cannot see how it would not do so.
RTH

I think ARP sells Jet Suppressors adjustable gas block. I think they are also adjusted with a screw, but you might check to see for sure as they are not listed on the website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would be remiss not to click the link in my signature and at least talk to Scott. I've seen with my own eyes not only what a good product Scott builds, but I've seen George Gardner pick up one of Scott's uppers off a prize table......

</div></div>

Scott is doing my POF build. Can't wait to test it.

Why not just get a switchblock? Proven reliable and effective. If the NFA would approve my AAC SPR/M4 that has been pending since May 24th, I would give you my evaluation of it on the switchblock on my fully decked out Noveske SPR... nothing like having the cake and the frosting is stuck in customs ....
mad.gif

But seriously, I have heard nothing but good things about Noveske's Switchblock.

Next time I'm out shooting I'll run some over the chrono with the gas on and off, and report back with any velocity and POI shifts.

Also, define "long range" please. There can be lots of variation in the definitions especially in a 223.

I use the PRI adjustable gas block: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=775354

My DPMS gas tube hole did not line up perfectly and had to modify it slightly, but everything works great now. I can turn the gas off completely or anything in between with a hex screw. I prefer the infinite adjustability of this option versus fixed settings that may require attention to the gas port size.