• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Building new .300WM hunting rifle....on the right track?

lilharcher

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Getting ready to build my first bolt rifle, specifically for hunting Elk & Alaskan Species (Moose, Caribou, Sheep, excluding Bear), and wanted to know if I am on the right path:

Action - Rem 700 LA accuritized by Long Rifles, Inc. (full package per the Group Buy)
Barrel - Bartlien 26" 3B contour (4 lbs) - fluted and chambered in .300 WM by Long Rifles, Inc.
Stock - Manners SL
Scope - Bushnell LRHS 4.5x18
Scope Base & Rings - 20 MOA Base with 30MM rings (NEED SUGGESTIONS)
Cerakote - (a) Barreled action - FDE, (ii) stock - multi-cam

Based on the stock and barrel contour, will this be a well balanced rifle? Wanting to keep weight (excluding scope) to around 8lbs. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

If it were me I'd trim the bbl to 22" and thread it for a brake and a can. (Cans are legal for hunting in AK) I'd also consider going to the 300 wsm, especially if you reload. If you hunt up in AK much you'll discover a shorter OAL is mo better. Seekins makes some awesome rings, same same for APA.
Hope this helps a bit. :)

Why spend the coin for this and just buy a Tikka T3 SL in 300, top it with VX3 2.5.8 and use the saved money for training and hunting. Animals in Alaska are not impressed with high dollar pop guns, only a well placed good bullet. And your legs, feet, back, lungs and head will be impressed with the lightest rig you can carry. And a wrangel goat hunt will destroy that beautiful custom made. Most guides I know will frown if you treat you rifle like a delicate flower as many do.

Too much barrel, 22 even in a 300 will work much better.

Too much scope, I used a fixed 3x Leup Alaskan for decades and never needed more out to 425 yards. Use spotter for judging animals.

20moa base for hunting, OK but not understanding this.

30mm tube, again extra weight and profile that is not needed for Alaska.

I am not a fan of 300s, in my book, too weight and recoil for little more performance over a 30.06. In my experience, 7mm mag flew better with a better or worse wound channel than 300 using Partitions bullets. I prefer 338s. If I knew then what I know now, 35 Whelen or 338-06. 243 tip over 1200 pound moose every September as do 223 and 22.250 where 375, 416 and 458 shot moose walk off!

You asked.

good luck and have fun

In my opinion, looks like you have done your research and have made some good decisions on parts, I have a similar elk rig except I used a stiller predator action, Mcmillian hunter with edge and a Z6 with ballistic turret. My Bartlein #3 contour is 25" at the crown and little over 26" with the vias break, it's very well balanced and little under 8lbs with swaro.
I love the 300 WM round, it's one of the most versatile rounds for hunting anything in the lower 48 other than brown bear. Your choice of bullets is endless all the way up to 230g. The 300 WSM is somewhat limited due to seating depth, can have feeding issues, but is still a great round but if you already have the long action stick with the 300 WM plus you can find ammo anywhere.

A lot of people will tell you there ring setup is good but there is no substitute for solid steel machined rings like badger and nightforce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of people will tell you there ring setup is good but there is no substitute for solid steel machined rings like badger and nightforce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your right I missed that, Im using Ken Farrell Steel Rings.

Too heavy for my tastes for a rugged sheep hunt. I have a sheep hunting rifle - 300WM weighs about five pounds plus scope, yes that's right. Very slim 24" barrel, last two inches is a brake. It doesn't spank you as bad as you'd think, but it is for shooting once well, no more than four shots at a whack, although this one seem to hold zero pretty well for longer strings, just a very hot barrel. My nephews have both shot this rifle well as early teenagers.

Oh yes, another thing - Teflon coated action and barrel - blue doesn't stay so well in moisture, Teflon works even when scratched.

45.308 comments about scopes are well spoken. This rifle has a 6x20 Zeiss Conquest on it, and it is too much, the 4x14 would be lots better and shorter/lighter as well. If you could get a 3x12, in a 1" tube, with turrets, that would be better yet. The 4x14 and 6x20 can be had with target turrets (get it on elevation only, keep cover on windage, ask me how I know) and with a decent mil dot reticle. The reticle is only correct at 10x, but I find myself leaving it there most of the time anyway, 10 is the most you really need for hunting. Took this rifle to Africa once - killed a lot stuff with it, about 40 gemsbok, several zebra, out to 420 yards, 300WM with 180 MRX, still have some of those left.

If I could have only one scope for Africa and everywhere else - it would be the Swarovski 1.4x10, with the little tabs you can set on the elevation turret, and has a zero stop too. One of the hide vendors fixed me up with that - but it is 30mm tube, and a little heavier. I'd take that sheep hunting in a minute, has illuminated reticle also - perfect for snotty conditions.

Even with a #3 Contour I never shoot more than a string of 3 without letting the barrel cool, more than that and it a good way to shorten the life of an expensive Bartlein!

I would suggest you consider the following:
Manners carbon fiber EH series stock
EGW 15 MOA base with Warne permanent rings or Talleys
the 3-12X Nikon Monarch 3 is a great hunting scope...no need for 18X or 30mm tube really...

After some research, I decided on the 300 WinMag over the WSM. The WinMag will carry a heavier bullet farther. I had a brake put on my 26" Stainless Hart. I put the Burris Signature rings on it and haven't been sorry. I think you'll do well with it. Take it to the range enough to know what it will do and how it likes to be held / operated.

Good luck,
Victor

Parts I have used n would use again in addition to your set up

Rem 700 LA
26" Broughton 1-11 twist with badger brake same contour and fluted
Leupold scope
EGW Base and rings or Leupold MK4 bases and rings
Cerakote as described
stock is good too

Just my .02

What is your target weight for the gun? I would suggest Talley one piece rings. Very nice and lite. Cerakote is good idea for resisting the elements. But have you considered melonite? I have used both, and the melonite is very very nice.

I have a 300WM hunting rifle build coming up, here's what I am using:

*BAT HRPIC melonited action
*Bartlein 5R barrel = 3B contour, 1-10 twist, 24" finished length
*McMillan Rem Hunter stock
*Badger M4 bottom metal, Rem mag box, spring, follower
*Timney Calvin Elite trigger set @ 2#
*All metal will be cerakoted
*Seekins 30mm rings