• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building steel targets

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Hey guys, anyone know of a good shop in Houston, TX or a place like cabelas maybe that builds targets that can handle close (and far) hits from fmj 147gr 308 rounds without getting holes blown in them or the steel bending after only a few shots?

I am a member of a range where you can set up your own targets and since I am not satified with the current targets I figured I would build my own. Maybe a good welding shop could put one together with a sinmple a frame and hang the target with steel chains and use 1/2 or 3/4 steel? It'll be heavy but I dont care. Any suggestions?

Re: Building steel targets

I'm near the Houston area and can maybe help ya out. A 3/8"x4x8 sheet of AR500 is about $1000 but I can get it for $800 at the place where we buy alot of steel. It's fun to make your own targets but alot of work and you need the equipment. I just sold the rest of the plate I had but If you can go in with some other people it's not that bad.

Link to my thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, anyone know of a good shop in Houston, TX or a place like cabelas maybe that builds targets that can handle close (and far) hits from fmj 147gr 308 rounds without getting holes blown in them or the steel bending after only a few shots?

I am a member of a range where you can set up your own targets and since I am not satified with the current targets I figured I would build my own. Maybe a good welding shop could put one together with a sinmple a frame and hang the target with steel chains and use 1/2 or 3/4 steel? It'll be heavy but I dont care. Any suggestions?</div></div>
What do you think "close" is? Are you using frangibles, steel core, lead, AP?

I shot FMJ and Hornady TAP exclusively...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot FMJ and Hornady TAP exclusively... </div></div>

What about South African surplus?

If I'm shooting steel it's with 147 grain fmj south african surplus. Close is 200......mostly i like shooting steel at about 450 or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamxdavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot FMJ and Hornady TAP exclusively... </div></div>

Keep in mind that you WILL eventually shoot something different. Your friends will come over with their weapons and want to shoot.

So, the question is, what thickness of steel should he go for?

Thanks for the linky, whoever posted it, I'm now buying my own steel for the first time!

But <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> need to know what thickness to go for.
I shoot the following;
.223/.243/.260/6.5CM/7mm-08 with both cup and core bullets and homogeneous copper (TSX/E-Tip etc)
and .300WM solely with cup n core.

Targets would be placed at about 400-600 yds, maybe a bit further.

Thanks,

Neil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, the question is, what thickness of steel should he go for?

Thanks for the linky, whoever posted it, I'm now buying my own steel for the first time!

But <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> need to know what thickness to go for.
I shoot the following;
.223/.243/.260/6.5CM/7mm-08 with both cup and core bullets and homogeneous copper (TSX/E-Tip etc)
and .300WM solely with cup n core.

Targets would be placed at about 400-600 yds, maybe a bit further.

Thanks,

Neil </div></div>

I would probably go with 1/2 inch. No thinner than 3/8. I have a 3/8 AR400 plate and a 223 at 100yd with put some significant dimples in the steel. 308 at 300yd puts a tiny burr on the steel and anything further is just a splash mark. I don't feel comfortable shooting that plate any closer than 300yd. Much closer than that and you start worrying about stuff coming back at you too. If you plan to shoot the 300WM at it, then I would opt for thicker than thinner. AR500 is also harder and more durable.

SPEED is the enemy of Steel.... 2900 - 3000 FPS + will damage most any of it... if your shooting fast calibers put the steel further out. I shoot 3/8" with 300 grain SMK's in my EDGE, No Issues.

3/8" will do what you want if it is AR500. I wouldn't spend my money on AR400. I have got one piece on 3/8" AR500 that is 2'x2' that I use for a backstop at my 300 yard load development target. This plate has taken thousands of rounds from 6br,6x47,6.5-284,7WSM, 308 and 338 Lapua and the only damage is a very slight bow in the plate. One thing to remember is that a rigidly mounted plate will not last as long as one that can move and absorb the energy of the bullet.

I would like to try some 1/4" plate at some longer distances(past 600 yards) to see how it would hold up. I move my targets alot and the lighter the better.

Has anyone tried the 1/4"?

If you can get AR500 for a good price then go for it. If it's going to be to hard or too expensive to get it to you then try and find some mild steel plate about 1-1/2" to 2" plate and then weld it up in a target frame that will take some abuse. I welded one together about 4 or 5 years ago and hung it at 200 yards and it has taken a horrendous amount of abuse on our gun range. If I had to guess, it probably has had close to a million hits. I know I have sat and just put thousands of rounds into it in a short amount of time and whenever I am at the range someone is banging away on that plate and we have 900 members. I just welded up one for 300 yards and used some 2" thick plate steel I had lying around, should last for about 10 or more years or longer. If you secure or hang it well then it will be less time that you have to screw with it or go down range to fix it.
I'm not saying that mild steel will take the abuse that AR plate will but it is an alternative you just need to go thicker to last for a good while.
Good luck with what you decide.
....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would like to try some 1/4" plate at some longer distances(past 600 yards) to see how it would hold up. I move my targets alot and the lighter the better.

Has anyone tried the 1/4"? </div></div>

Yep. I've got 3 1/4" plates and shoot them from 400-1K with everything from 223 V-max's to 300Win/200TSX's and lots in-between. They do bow a bit after a couple hundred rounds. They're hung on chains and allowed to swing so when they bow we just swap them around. 7Shamu/162 A-Max seems to be the hardest on them for whatever reason.

Thanks Horse1. I figured it would work but its always good here from someone that has tried it.