• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building up a stock for cheek weld

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
What is everybody using to build up their stocks. I’ve seen a couple pictures that look like they might work, but was wondering what else was out there.
47DCF3A6-E474-453C-967B-39FBBFB90BAB.png

Attachments

• 9EB89C57-152F-4E4D-A6C0-28202C39DF4C.png
    9EB89C57-152F-4E4D-A6C0-28202C39DF4C.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 66
If you'd prefer to not modify your stock or deal with adhesives, a neoprene sleeve with padded inserts works well for traditional stocks.

e.g.

I have the beartooth kits on 2 different rifles. Relatively easy adjustment and comfortable. Foe the price I think they're hard to beat

What kind of stock are you trying to build up on? That may help with suggestions.

Look at God a grip. Very good products for comb raising.

Reactions: HK-93
Remington 700 Hunting stock.
The Monte Carlo style comb is too short. Using a night force 5 x 22 x 55

I saw those, And that was my original idea.

I built my own from a carbon fiber and jeans micarta. It worked great. I am doing a complete forend for my TRG in a similar way right now.

1601043126440.png

Any idea who makes the pad in the OP's photo? My wife wants one and my google-fu isn't having any luck.

Loggerhead is the way to go if you're not rocking a chassis. Great level of adjustment with yaw as well.

Reactions: Baron23
Loggerhead. First, its built like a brick shit house and second, Terry Cross is a great human being and makes really fucking good shit.

Joe Ducos did mine, he's also a great guy, and did a terrific job

From KMW's site:

Email: [email protected]
or
Phone: (209) 620 - 5268

Note that it not only adjusts up/down and has an E-clip and ridges so you can mark your height and return to it exactly when removed for cleaning or to just remove the bolt, but it also adjusts some side to side to help alleviate the need to roll your head over to get in the eye box. Its 2020, make your gun fit you and not you fit your gun.

This is the Loggerhead kit
KMW Loggerhead Kit Hdwr.jpg

This is my 700 5R with HS stock with Loggerhead installed
HS Stock with KMW.jpg

A view of the parts installed
View of Loggerhead in my stock.jpg

View of Loggerhead installed in MY stock.jpg

And, the Loggerhead comes with a 3/16" hex bolt to tighten it but TS Custom makes a quick adjust knob that is tool-less if you prefer. For some reason, they are not shown on TS Custom's site but are available elsewhere. I bought mine from Primal Rights

LqBUWF1h.jpg

Any idea who makes the pad in the OP's photo? My wife wants one and my google-fu isn't having any luck.

I believe that is the Armageddon Gear Cheeky Bastard velcro attach version. Wiebad makes a Mini Stock Pad that is similar.

Reactions: Tortuga
I believe that is the Armageddon Gear Cheeky Bastard velcro attach version. Wiebad makes a Mini Stock Pad that is similar.
Cheeky Bastard it is! Thank you kindly.

McMillan is saying that they cannot install they’re adjustable cheek rest on a stock that was not ordered with it. Something to do with the Riser being molded separately. And the stock is hollow in that area. This is a question I asked about a McMillan game warden stock. Looks like I need to get more clarification From McMillen oar just contact Terry Cross.

McMillan is saying that they cannot install they’re adjustable cheek rest on a stock that was not ordered with it. Something to do with the Riser being molded separately. And the stock is hollow in that area.

From Terry Cross' KMW website for the Loggerhead:

" The LoggerHead A.C.P. hardware is primarily designed to work with the excellent McMillan Fiberglass Stocks and Manners Composite Stocks that are molded with separate integral adjustable cheek piece. It can also be custom installed in properly made synthetic and wood laminate stocks available from other manufacturers. "

And there is more relevant info on his page:

Last edited:
So is it a Remington stock or a McMillan? If it’s a McMillan just send it out to stock doc and have him install the KMW hardware. If it’s a Remington stock, not worth putting the $$ into it and at that point I’d just go with the Triad stock pack. It comes with little Velcro strips to adjust the height.

Reactions: Baron23
What do you have on the grip of the rifle that looks like black tape or velcro? And what is its purpose?

Thats just skateboard grip tape. I use it on a few of my rifles. That stock had a pretty slippery surface, when you are cold and wet you want some friction.

Reactions: drew_235
Thats just skateboard grip tape. I use it on a few of my rifles. That stock had a pretty slippery surface, when you are cold and wet you want some friction.
Thank you! It's not at all a bad idea and I learn something every time I log onto this page.

Reactions: VargmatII
I used a few strips from an old yoga mat my wife had, and some vet wrap to hold it in place...