• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Building youth PRS rifle.

ajridgedell

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
US
My son and daughter are starting to show some interest in the PRS matches me and my wife shoot. Rather than getting several .22 rifles for us to all shoot together Im thinking build a .223 on a custom action so it can be upgraded to more common prs calibers in the future.
My main two questions are quality light weight stocks / chassis that offer lop down to 12 or less? And What actions are known for light bolt lift? I have a tl3 and mausingfield now for comparrison sake. Looks like I could contact mpa and manners for custom or stocks not listed? Any other recomendations from those that have done similar rifles for children/youth? Also if anyone has anything to sell along these lines pm me.

Reactions: powdahound76
I have a LP Fuzion, Mausingfield and a LA Defiance Deviant all with BnA Tacsport triggers. The bolt lift on all of them is very light - I wouldn't think that any kids would have issues with any of these actions with properly timed triggers.

When it comes to bolt lift, you need to understand that a properly timed trigger will optimize your bolt lift, keeping it as light as possible. This can be done by a gunsmith, the action manufacturer (Bighorn/Zermatt provides this service, I believe for free), or with a trigger such as a BnA Tacsport, you can easily do it yourself at home. My friends Mausingfield with an untimed trigger is unbearably heavy when compared to mine, and for the brief time I owned a TL3, the sear engagement was so heavy that the bolt lift and close was impossibly heavy.

For light bolt lifts, you are always going to have a lighter lift with a 90* action then a 60* action. Also, different actions cock differently. Both the Mausingfield and LP cock 100% on open, meaning all the work is done while opening the bolt, and they essentially want to close themselves. Other actions, like Impact, spreads the work of cocking the firing piece over the open and close (50/50). I'm not sure what your kids may prefer, but I prefer 100/0 (cock on open), the rifles already unsettled through recoil, I'm not worried about further disturbing the sight picture when opening the bolt, but I like to have my sights on target by the time I start closing the bolt.

Beyond that, an action is very much a personal preference. My wife has the LP Fuzion, and she loves it. It's a great action, one I would certainly recommend. I love my M5 Mausingfield, but have no experience with the newer ones.

If you don't want to change out bolts/bolt faces for different cartridges in the future, you may want to consider a straight up 6BR. It will have a bit more recoil then a .223 - I'm not sure how big your kids are, and how recoil sensitive they may be, and you will also need to reload for this cartridge. Nothing wrong with the .223, that's also a great round and you can "grow" into a 6ARC on the same bolt face. Just spit balling ideas.

I think the KRG Bravo is a great chassis that's very affordable, has plenty of accessories to dress it up and allow it to "grow" with you/kids as you progress, and it's light. However, minimum length of pull is 12.8" according to KRG's website. I don't have kids, so I don't have a good handle on chassis options that are best for kids/shooters with short LOP. It's hard to find on their website, but McMillan has a stock designed for junior/smaller shooters, called the A-10 that's also worth a look:

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I didn't go all out when I built my daughter's. It's a Tikka action, barrel is a light palma contour 22" there is typically a Ultra 7 on the end of the barrel all the time. Boyds AT1 stock and Burris XTR2 scope. I think it wound up at #14. The stock is ok, I think looking back I would have gone with one of the budget chassis. I really wanted to get a Archemedes or Nucleus and a Xylo. I do have a Mausingfield and both the 9yo and 13 yo can run it with no issues. I didn't have a real high confidence in her really wanting to do it. She did like the club matches at our local range, but there gone now. The only club level matches are 3-4 hours away.

I would also strongly consider suppressing the rifle.

We are much more sensitive to concussion then we think. We focus a lot on the recoil portion of that, because that is directly perceivable, but the concussion from the projectile and gasses leaving the barrel certainly takes a larger toll than we account for. It's exhausting and fatiguing, and could ingrain bad habits.

If legal/possible, I would strongly consider suppressing the rifle.

Like Kthomas said suppressing the rifle made a huge difference with my kids. Our normal club squad all shot suppressed. My daughter would flinch and smash the trigger, it was bad.

Reactions: kthomas
I’m midway through a similar project
I’m using my old krg X-ray. My 10yr old daughter can get behind it well, my 7yr old son not quite as well but manageable from fixed position

I tried to keep it medium weight, so my 10yr old can move it around, so I went medium Palma barrel at 26”. I plan for them to use my tbac dominus 30 cal can.

For a scope I am using a Burris xtriii 3-18. It’s pretty darn light compared to many prs optics and I got a really good deal

Action is an archimedes because of their Black Friday deal. It should provide nice bolt lift (my kids can make my M5 cerekoted mausingfield work)

I strongly considered an xlr element. You can get the short tube for a folder, and this allows LoP to drop to around 11”
Only reason I didn’t go that rout was wait times for the chassis

ARC Archimedes is going to give a nice short bolt throw and a super light lift. MPA chassis with a short LOP kit, or MDT ACC or LSS-XL with a short LOP stock. For a more tradition stock, Manners can meet pretty much any parameter you want. You can specify a short LOP and have it pre fitted for a spacer kit to install as they grow. KRG Bravo is a great budget option that can be kapr pretty light and down to 12.8” LOP

An Impact 737r in 223 would be a good choice IMO. You could get a new bolt in the face of your choice later on and go up to a dasher or something else with the same action.

Reactions: Oldloser and tnc
My son and daughter are starting to show some interest in the PRS matches me and my wife shoot. Rather than getting several .22 rifles for us to all shoot together Im thinking build a .223 on a custom action so it can be upgraded to more common prs calibers in the future.
My main two questions are quality light weight stocks / chassis that offer lop down to 12 or less? And What actions are known for light bolt lift? I have a tl3 and mausingfield now for comparrison sake. Looks like I could contact mpa and manners for custom or stocks not listed? Any other recomendations from those that have done similar rifles for children/youth? Also if anyone has anything to sell along these lines pm me.
I'm a youth also showing interest in PRS and a new gun to shoot. Will you be my father? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 65x55guy
I'm a youth also showing interest in PRS and a new gun to shoot. Will you be my father? 😂
Yes, but there are a lot of chores to do and I hope you don't mind a good a$$ woopin every now and then! :ROFLMAO: Jk, but it is kinda funny I was thinking this morning how silly it is to spend that much money on something like that, maybe we should just go fishing or something lol.

But for the rifle, we plan to go with the impact action on a manners compact stock, lop down to under 11inches! super exited! and we got the burris xtr iii 5.5-30 in. which i decided on since it isn't that much more weight than a lot of 30mm tube scopes with great features still.

Just dropped parts at the smith yeaterday……

I have ended up with an MDT LSS XL chassis with the Carbine interface.
LOP needs to be 11” for my nearly 10 yr old.
Was gifted a Luth AR MB-1 buttstock, but LOP was too long, so ordering the LUTH AR MBA 4 with adjustable cheek.
As LOP needs increase, will add the adjustable butt if needed.

Here is a pic of it on a different chassis ny MDT and a Savage, but you get the idea.
F548F5B2-52B2-493C-9923-6C9A858F215E.png
Luth AR’s site says you cant use the front two holes of the buffer with the cheek riser, but thats just for ARs with the charging handle.
This was from a vid I found on the youtube.

Reactions: FrozenFingers
Yes, but there are a lot of chores to do and I hope you don't mind a good a$$ woopin every now and then! :ROFLMAO: Jk, but it is kinda funny I was thinking this morning how silly it is to spend that much money on something like that, maybe we should just go fishing or something lol.

But for the rifle, we plan to go with the impact action on a manners compact stock, lop down to under 11inches! super exited! and we got the burris xtr iii 5.5-30 in. which i decided on since it isn't that much more weight than a lot of 30mm tube scopes with great features still.
Hahaha That's too funny! That will be a great rig for them. Can't wait for my daughter to get a little older, and I'll be in the same boat as you.

Reactions: ajridgedell
I put my 6.5x47 in an XLR magnesium stock. 9yrs old but nearly 10.

deal was you can shoot a match when you can carry the rifle the whole time. he did well. we were RO’ing so we shot 18 stages in one day. He did amazing.

Most important thing isnt weight as much as it is attitude and patients. you can always help carry stiff. as role model and instructor, you cant get mad or frustrated. that kills the fun instantly.

eta the xlr butt stock is the only and best one for adjustment for short LOP
GL!
DT

Attachments

• 0B4D74FB-6690-4685-A35E-FDCFA4337454.jpeg
    0B4D74FB-6690-4685-A35E-FDCFA4337454.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 66
I think to grow the sport in the long run- youth, women, and over 60 should shoot matches for a significantly reduced price.

But I don't run matches.

Overall we need to keep things growing and make entry into the things we support easier for newbies.

I went this route for my 12 year old daughter. Thanks @powdahound76. MDT Black Friday got me everything else. When it arrives, an impact with 223 bolt will go in.

She has practiced on my ACC chassis and has zero wobble in my trigger cam in dry fire, but my setup is way too big for her to shoot at the range. She loves my LWRC carbine and wants to move on to long range. I'm hoping she can handle the 223 well and can move up to the Dasher setup I have sitting in storage.

Any suggestions on a good solid FFP scope that is around 1k?

• Love
Reactions: powdahound76
I went this route for my 12 year old daughter. Thanks @powdahound76. MDT Black Friday got me everything else. When it arrives, an impact with 223 bolt will go in.

She has practiced on my ACC chassis and has zero wobble in my trigger cam in dry fire, but my setup is way too big for her to shoot at the range. She loves my LWRC carbine and wants to move on to long range. I'm hoping she can handle the 223 well and can move up to the Dasher setup I have sitting in storage.

Any suggestions on a good solid FFP scope that is around 1k?

Lotta good options.

IF you see a deal (they happen a lot in the PX) , I have been very happy with the Bushnell Elite line.
The new DMR3 has a 1/4 mil hash reticle (I really really like it) and a nice floating dot.
Wasn't a fan of the dot before and it has grown on me to the point I really like it in my xrs3.

Other scope I know in that money range is the burris xtr3 with lots if happy customers. I peaked through one and for sure something I could run and be OK with.
I dont keep up with the “whats hip” scene, so my knowledge is limited.
Not sure on glass quality in that range and I do often look at Vortex. More now having seen their CS in massive action over the whole liberty optics mess (clean up of a problem that was not their making).

I have an old Weaver 3-15 and still say if you can find one, they are awesome for the $$ (around 400-450 I think).
Love mine on my .22 even though the parallax doesnt go to 25 yds.

A SWFA 3-15 works good too

ETA: we have run a variety of .223 rifles with either 75 bthp or 77 smk to 600.
Goes further and wind really kicks its butt after that in CO with 18” barrel velocities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldloser