• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BUIS alternatives

Roslyn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2013
Am trying to find a set of low profile BUIS for a JP AR15 upper that is running a Trijicon MRO. There are seemingly 10 million providers of BUIS, so am posting here to ask for any recommendations based on your experience using them. Do not need offset mounts, just want them straight up on the top Pic rail. And do I care whether the front post adjusts with a wheel rather than with the traditional detent? Any drift or reliability issues with a wheel?

The upper has a 16" barrel and 15" hand guard, so not particularly concerned about space on the rail. Have a light mounted already, but not expecting to put anything else on the fore end other than the front sight.

This isn't a competition rifle, just a good shooting rifle that I am looking to improve with irons. Searched around the sights forum on arfcom but that discussion group seems intent on red dots.

Appreciate any help.

Another vote for the Magpul MBUS Pro's. The have a strong detent to keep them in the up position, the tool less zeroing is fun, and I think they now come with the enhanced front sight post so you can choose skinny or fat post.

Reactions: black5.3
I use the KAC sights, the LMT sights are also nice. PRI makes some solid ones with HK style hoods, etc. They're not cheap though. In all honesty I've never used 'em short of sighting them in. Well, one day out of the last twenty years I played around with a set at the range. The only thing that really concerns me with 'em is whether or not they'll be used with clip on NV, in which case 45deg. sights are nice. In the future though I plan on just using a small tritium/batt. reflex sight. Almost the same cost as KAC sights and I can at least make use of it at close ranges.

That said, on a solid rifle I'm depending on, I'd want the flip up sights anyway. They're a "just in case" insurance policy I guess.

If it's not a problem, using a fixed front sight is almost always better than not.

If interested, I have a set of black Defiance flip up sights, they're pretty much identical to the Magpul set. Plastic with metal parts. Came on a Kriss Super V but they're made for an AR obviously. Never used 'em, took 'em right off. PM me if interested, I don't need 'em.

Thank you all, researching and will report back. A friend mentioned Bobro, looking at that as well.

FB95IMG9515691661443211.jpg

Fixes front and rear BUIS for anytime that you have a Reflex sight. No folding sights unless you have an optic with an etched retical.

Reactions: Basher
Sam4886, those are awesome. When zeroing the front post, do you just bend one knuckle at a time until you get it right? Tell me these are actually available somewhere.

I just run them magpul ones. No point in spending the cost of the gun on it IMO. The magpul is cheap yet durable enough for 99% of the people on here. Unless you are throwing your gun out of a chopper I do not see spending 3-400 bucks for back up sights.

Reactions: 10ring'r
I dont run them anymore. I spend several thousand dollars on an optic so I dont need to buy extra shit.

I used to run folding BUIS though, and the thought of implementing them is retarded to me now. So, I will be in the middle of a gun fight. My red dot goes down and I actually notice it (unlikely) and I have time to actually pop them up and keep chugging?

I agree with Frank Proctor on the subject of BUIS these days.

bench

I dont run them anymore. I spend several thousand dollars on an optic so I dont need to buy extra shit.

I used to run folding BUIS though, and the thought of implementing them is retarded to me now. So, I will be in the middle of a gun fight. My red dot goes down and I actually notice it (unlikely) and I have time to actually pop them up and keep chugging?

bench

The people who like BUIS, like them. The people who don't, hate them with a religious fervor. Why? Where's this trauma coming from?

Chill, y'all. We're talking a few extra ounces and less than $200. If you can't handle a few ounces or can't afford the two bills, that's all fine. But stop hating those who can.

Last edited:
Sam4886, those are awesome. When zeroing the front post, do you just bend one knuckle at a time until you get it right? Tell me these are actually available somewhere.

Haha, I honestly don't know. I just saw the pic online.

Love my Diamondhead metal folding combat buis. Extremely well built.

That is an interesting design. Do you find that the diamond shape in the rear sight improves your ability to capture/position the front post consistently?

That is an interesting design. Do you find that the diamond shape in the rear sight improves your ability to capture/position the front post consistently?

I do. I find site acquisition to be very fast. I liked them better than the Troy's I had

Thank you. Just ordered them. Had never heard of the company, which is part of the reason for the original post. .

Appreciate everyone pitching in with suggestions.

Thank you. Just ordered them. Had never heard of the company, which is part of the reason for the original post. .

Appreciate everyone pitching in with suggestions.

Ive been running them for shit 10+ years now. I love them. Built like a tank.

My favorite BUIS is KAC. They do what you want them to do and work. The magpul pro's also seem excellent and have been spotted downrange being run by some high speed dudes.

That being said, my two most recent ARs sport 45 degree offset KACs and a trijicon RMR, respectively. After using them both for a bit, I've learned that a) I'm never going to back to traditional in-line BUIS's and b) the RMR is likely the absolute best solution for a real deal emergency BUIS. It is stupid fast. The only thing faster is fixed in-line BUIS with red dots. But with LPVO or magnified optics, 45 degrees is the way to go IMO.

bench

That’s why I run fixed irons and a lower 1/3 mount for my red dots. Rare as it may be, optic failure is a real thing. I experienced one with an Aimpoint T1 several years back in the middle of a drill at a carbine class. Dot just disappeared, poof! Took me a second to let the reality if what happened soak in, and then guess what I did? Dropped my head about a millimeter further into the stock to acquire my irons, and kept on chugging. Ran the rest of the course with the irons and did great.

So I learned two things that day. Expensive optics CAN and DO fail, and my chosen setup of 1/3fixed irons saved me the hassle of having to disengage, pop the irons, then reengage the target. That’s time that could save your life if you’re actually in a gunfight.

Technology is amazing, but anything man-made can fail. A little analog redundancy is never a bad thing.

As for what fixed irons I use, I gravitate towards DD A1.5 and Scalarworks, moving mostly over to Scalarworks as I find used ones at good prices. They’re light, robust, and easily adjustable. The DDs have run reliably for me for years, though.

Throw a set of Magpul MBUS polymers on that rail and forget about them. Cheap, durable, low-profile. I've had the same set on one upper for six years, they have hit the ground twice and they stayed zeroed. One problem with them, is if you want to co-witness with a red-dot, you will only get a 1/3 co-witness, they are low-profile. Mac (y)

Love my Diamondhead metal folding combat buis. Extremely well built.

Following up on this suggestion. I bought the Diamondhead mounts, put them on and for the first time can consistently shoot inside 2 inches at 100 yards with irons. The diamond shapes front and back let the shooter index the front post consistently, vertically and horizontally, unlike a round peep rear sight and a whatever shaped wings on the front sight. If you mount these sights "correctly" in terms of the separation between them, the front diamond with post inside it sits visually just inside the rear diamond, essentially one aligned image.

Others may shoot irons better than 2 inches at that distance, but I have always struggled to index the front post in the same vertical and horizontal shot to shot. Kinda sorta get it right, but the impact pattern rarely is less than 3 inches and often more like 4 or 5.

Sights are also very well made, real pleasure to use them.

Thanks again for the recommendation....

Reactions: padom