• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bulgarian vs russian arsenal aks

M4sniperz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2014
Which one do you think is better and why? Is a russian ak really that much better, if better at all?

I have shot both and did not see any difference. Some say the Bulgarian milled receivers are the best. The latest issue of SUREFIRE Combat Tactics has an article on AK's the writer likes the Bulgarian ones the best. The Pres signed an exec-order banning the importation or Russian firearms so you may be limited to Bulgarian ones soon. The best AK I ever shot was a Kreb's custom.

I have shot both and did not see any difference. Some say the Bulgarian milled receivers are the best. The latest issue of SUREFIRE Combat Tactics has an article on AK's the writer likes the Bulgarian ones the best. The Pres signed an exec-order banning the importation or Russian firearms so you may be limited to Bulgarian ones soon. The best AK I ever shot was a Kreb's custom.

Thanks that's kind of why I asked

I have owned a Bulgy and now own a Russian. The milled receivers on Bulgy's are heavier than the Russian stamped receiver AK's. I have read that AK's with milled receivers run a bit hotter than their stamped counterparts due to their retaining heat more than the stamped. However, some have reported the rigidity of the milled receivers are more accurate than stamped. Go with whichever one you think you'd like. A milled AK receiver does feel more substantial when holding it, at least for myself. I do prefer the lighter rifle, and hence, I favor the Russian Saiga.

I have some of both.. The deal is that SLR 104/105 guns and 107 guns are great, they are built tough and accurate. 106 (5.56) guns are a bit funky and don't always run right. I personally find my Saiga based guns to be my favorite. They are 100 series guns , and have all the current technical updates that factory mil guns have. If you are looking for a factory built gun, the SGL series are hard to beat. They have all the correct russian parts and are semi auto imports of the mil versions. They also have updated stock geometry on the side folder variants. If you are looking to do a RD style rifle then start with a base model gun. The SGL and Saiga use the same receivers, trunnions, bolts, carriers and barrels.