• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bulged barrel

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I have a Sears and Roebuck model 53 in 30-06 caliber. From all the research, I've found it to be a re badged Win, model 70. I got it from my son in law who shot pretty good groups with it at least at 50 yards. After careful inspection, I swear there is a small bulge in the barrel about 1" back from the crown I can see and feel with my fingers but, the crown looks fine. What could have cause this barrel stuck in mud etc.? And I guess I should take the barreled action to the smith and have a little trimmed off the barrel and re-crowned? Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: Bulged barrel

Have a gunsmith look at it and cut and crown if necessary.

I think I'd better, and also make sure he checks the bore and throat area for erosion so I don't waste money on a cut and crown job. Thanks!
smile.gif

I got a pre-64 Win M70 in 30-06, when some guy in Alaska died and his nephew wanted the money.

WinM70270.jpg

I changed the barrel to a 270 pac-nor ultralight, changed the scope from Redfield to Leupold, changed the stock from wood to Bordon Rimrock laminated fiberglass. I added a Harris swivel bi-pod, stretchy sticky sling, scope turrets, and Dvorak instruments soft eye cover. I put scotch tape over the muzzle for when I fall on my face.

What does it all mean?
I got the weight down to 8.9 pounds as carried.
I have been practicing and killing out to 500 yards.
I got my scent on it, and have bonded with the rifle.

What does that mean to you?
You have a 50 or 60 year old action that is a real gem.
Throw some money at it for parts. Throw some time at it, to get long range accuracy.

Run a jag with a very tight fitting patch down the bore. You should be able to feel it. If it feels differant in that area have a Gunsmith cut it off and recrown it.