• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bulk ammo for my bolt gun? .223

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
Im looking for fairly inexpensive bulk ammo to shooting through my Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Its only a .223 but I NEED the ammo to be in reloadable cases.

So far the only ammo ive found that still shot somewhat decent, was cheap, and was in reloadable cases was PMC Bronze. I have some American Eagle AE223 and its alright but the PMC is IMHO a lot better and right in the same price range.

Anyone have experience with Remington UMC? or can anyone suggest anything better?

Re: bulk ammo for my bolt gun? .223

IMI, never been a fan of Remington ammo..

Wal-Mart has bulk Federal .223 55gr in 100 round boxes for about 40 bucks. Decent plinking ammo, and it's reloadable.

I'd stay away from UMC, unless you're really into cleaning a filthy gun.

Not trying to start a huge argument but isnt it best not to fire 5.56 in a .223? Other than that the southwest ammo doesnt look too bad, a bit spendy but not horrible.

Your rifle will dictate what the best ammo for it is. If your rifle shoots reasonably well with UMC, then run with it. If you are looking for ammunition what might be a bit better, but cost less than factory, check out cheaper than dirt. They carry BVAC ammo. I used to shoot a good bit of that stuff before I started reloading.

Fiocchi 40 grain VMax shoots great from my 1-9 Savage. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the ammo, especially at 40 cents per round.

Is this the BVAC ammo your talking about?

Im not going for dead on accuracy (thats why im learning to reload). What im going for is just some fun plinking ammo that is still decent quality without breaking the bank. After i shoot it i will then hopefully have a large amount of brass all with the same head stamps so that hopefully I can find one load that works for me and load it up in 500+ round batches. Specially since im headed to college soon and when i get there i wont be able to run home to load more ammo and sure wont be able to buy too much.

I also just need to get some trigger time, im not a horrible shot but im not that good either. The more i can shoot for less money the better i will hopefully become.

Ive got some Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max and its alright price isnt too bad either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is this the BVAC ammo your talking about?

Im not going for dead on accuracy (thats why im learning to reload). What im going for is just some fun plinking ammo that is still decent quality without breaking the bank. After i shoot it i will then hopefully have a large amount of brass all with the same head stamps so that hopefully I can find one load that works for me and load it up in 500+ round batches. Specially since im headed to college soon and when i get there i wont be able to run home to load more ammo and sure wont be able to buy too much.

I also just need to get some trigger time, im not a horrible shot but im not that good either. The more i can shoot for less money the better i will hopefully become.

Ive got some Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max and its alright price isnt too bad either. </div></div>

500 round batches huh? Hope you got a Dillon machine! I've been wanting one forever now..
frown.gif

Check out the Prvi Partizan (sp) match loadings. Not too expensive and they shoot pretty well.

ill just be the one to point out that your 223rd post is about your .223 haha

Haha i didnt even look at that.

Nope no fancy prgressive press here it would take a LONG time to load up 500 rounds but it would last me long enough to be worth it.

I have some of the PRVI Partizan only a box of 20 but it seems like they use somewhat low quality brass. My gun's feed rails are still somewhat sharp and ive noticed that on cheap brass they will still somewhat cut into the brass but with higher quality brass it will just leave a slight line.

If anyone else has info on that BVAC ammo im deffinately interested but i want to here a few good reports before i make a purchase.

I have the same gun in a bell and carlson m40 stock. It loves the usa 55 gr vmax. If I can find my camera il post up a few groups from my range trip last week.

I was in the same place that you are now a few months ago. I just wanted some cheap reloadable 223. I ended up buying a bunch of UMC for $7 a box. Not sure of brass quality i found that the ammo is the least accurate out of my 700. It wasn't very fun shooting the UMC.

Thats why I dont want to buy 500 round boxes unless i know it will at least give me decent groups. Im going to say 1 to 1.5" groups @ 100 is ok for this ammos purpose.

Ive been buying Federal 50 gr hps in the 200 rn. bulk boxes at wally world for 36c / rn. they shoot great in a mod 70 sporter varmint and my ar pals like em as well. they do have a primer crimp, lake city headstamp. Ive laid in 2k rounds and buy it every time they get more in. white box 20 rd packs within the big 200 rd box.

I wouldn't hesitate to use BVAC. I have used their loose pack 55g fmj. It works for our LE training purposes and leaves you with quality LC brass. Don't expect better than 2moa or so with the fmj. I think you can get 55g OTM for just a bit more$$$. No experience with that load yet.

Well If im doing my math right I can get 1000 rounds with shipping for $.34 a round. Thats if i got the 55 grain PSP. What kind of accuracy would a PSP give compared to FMJ? And whats more prone to Ricochet? FMJ or PSP?

Check out Triad Tactical, Black Hills Red Box 77grain BTHP Match ammo, 500 rounds $206.85 plus shipping

There must be a glitch in their website or thats just one killer deal. Although, my 1:9" barrel doesnt like the Hornady 75 BTHP ammo i tried so i dont think it would like the 77 grain

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Triad Tactical, Black Hills Red Box 77grain BTHP Match ammo, 500 rounds $206.85 plus shipping </div></div>

Link?
I dont see it.
$43/50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There must be a glitch in their website or thats just one killer deal. Although, my 1:9" barrel doesnt like the Hornady 75 BTHP ammo i tried so i dont think it would like the 77 grain </div></div>

I just bought and received 1000 rounds of the Black Hills Red Box 77grain Match ammo from them for $414 plus shipping.

Killer deal... YES!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit the drop down box from the 50 round to 500 Round Case

</div></div>

Thanks!

Well shoot I wish my gun had a bit faster twist.

Hell, I'll buy some at that price!

walked into wally world today they have federal/eagle for 5.49 per 20 and they are reloadable cases

Crisis averted.
blush.gif

There was a fat fingering when the price was converted from 1000 round cases to 500 round cases.

My hat goes off to my competiteor that was kind enough to point it out to me via PM. Thanks Mike

Well unless i find any great sales here locally i think im going to give some of that BVAC a try. Start out with 500 and if it shoots decent maybe pick up another case or three
whistle.gif

While ive got everyone here, How do you guys store your ammo when you buy in large assortments? Just leave it in the box? package it with silica in smaller containers?

I have a SPS Tactical 223 and it loves 69SMK. Not to mention the yotes and bunnys I see love them too.

Because for milk jug hunting I dont want to shoot expensive hand loads. The way i look at it I can buy all of the brass primers powder bullets and load my own for $50-$70 (per 100 rounds) or I can spend $35-$45 and buy some factory "plinkers" shoot them get my trigger time then spend another $35 and reload them with higher quality components going for either good hunting rounds or a good target round. Im also just trying to get a good stockpile of brass.

I would have to take pencil and paper to it again but when I did all of my math the first time the way i figured it was in the long run to buy 100 factory rounds shoot them reload them and shoot them again than it was to start with 100 new brass and reload and shoot them twice.

Mike's SWA Run N Gun is great ammunition for the price. Loaded in pulled LC brass, so it's reloadable when your done. I haven't shot the 69gr loads but i've tried the 77gr SMKs and love them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because for milk jug hunting I dont want to shoot expensive hand loads.</div></div>
The last time I ran the numbers, I came up with $0.27/round for my .223 Rem loads. That's with Lapua brass, Rem 7-1/2 primers, Varget, and either SMKs or Hornady A-max (can't remember). Buy wisely and in bulk and you're in business.

edit: Brass cost is amortized over an expected 10 loadings (I think) per piece.

Did you hit the jackpot on sales? If I went out right now and bought 100 Remington brass i would be paying $.25 each. Figure $.03 per primer. Not sure about the powder but another $.02-$.04 per round. Then if i went with 69 SMK's it would add another $.20. (none of these prices are figuring my gas or shipping)

Although my dad has a folgers coffee can of 55 grain FMJ that he bought years ago and he said I could use them. That would keep my cost down in the $.30 range but its still just an FMJ.

Let's see if I can get the numbers to work out. All of this stuff was purchased in the last few months.

I bought 500pc of Lapua from Midway for about $280 shipped (prices have since gone up). That's an estimated 5000 rounds' worth of brass, so figure $0.056 per.

Sinclair had a good deal going on a couple of months ago and I bought 16# of powder ($260) and 5000 primers ($137). Shipping was free, but I had to pay the $25 hazmat, which I'll split between the powder and primers for the sake of calculations. Assuming 25gr of powder per charge, that's $0.061 per round for the powder and $0.03 for primers.

I picked up 2400 75gr A-max bullets from manventureoutpost.com for $312, plus ~$20 shipping, so $0.139 each.

Put all that together and I get $0.286 per round - I suspect that the $0.27 number didn't include shipping/hazmat.

Forgot to add, you can also get primed ready to load brass from cmmg, and the American marksman. Hi tech ammo has surplus powders aaila le cheap as well. Deals to be had in bulk buys and reloading 223 is very easy, and for what your looking to do very forgiving.

Are there any other companies that sell pulled bullets like that? Say I got some of those pulled bullets which do you think would be a better performer in the accuracy department? 64 grain soft point or 62 grain steel core stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lmb7784</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Prvi Partizan (sp) match loadings. Not too expensive and they shoot pretty well.</div></div>
I'd recommend the PRVI Match stuff as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any other companies that sell pulled bullets like that? Say I got some of those pulled bullets which do you think would be a better performer in the accuracy department? 64 grain soft point or 62 grain steel core stuff.</div></div>
RMR has some of the lowest prices I've seen, TJConvera.com is another good site to try.

I would think the SP bullets to be a little better made and more accurate. My 5r in 223 will stabilize the 77's out to 600. 24.5 or so of N140 will do it. The ml 262 mod 1 stabilizes as well, and out of a 24 in tube are pushing the high side of 3000 fps. You never know until you try.

Just bought 3 boxes of Rem/UMC .223/55grFMJ for $10.97 a box at Wal-Mart Monday. After reading this, I started breaking down and doing some weighing.

Did five cartridges. Powder charge weights were 24.1gr, 24.2gr, 24.2gr, 24.5gr and 24.8gr of something that looked indistinguishable from W748. Not too hard to see where the inaccuracy may be coming from.

Reassembled the five with the average weight, marked, and held them aside for testing against five unaltered rounds. Would have broken down more, but the danged impact puller was on its last legs, and went belly up after five.

Greg

Just picked up federal 820 rnd green tipped 62grn for $250

Ive got my eyes on some PMC Bronze here locally that is on sale for $4.99 a box ($5.99 if i go to Cabelas) Hopefully its still on sale by pay day!
eek.gif

I went to www.scharch.com and picked up 1000 pcs of once fired, fully processed and primed .223 brass for $153.

Drop some powder, put a boolit in the end of it and off you go.

Works for me.

I've shot the Remington UMC 308 ammo in my 700, very inconsistent. I never weighed the rounds like you have but with a good factory I shoot consistent groups and that UMC crap is all over the paper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rdsii64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because for milk jug hunting I dont want to shoot expensive hand loads. The way i look at it I can buy all of the brass primers powder bullets and load my own for $50-$70 (per 100 rounds) or I can spend $35-$45 and buy some factory "plinkers" shoot them get my trigger time then spend another $35 and reload them with higher quality components going for either good hunting rounds or a good target round. Im also just trying to get a good stockpile of brass.

I would have to take pencil and paper to it again but when I did all of my math the first time the way i figured it was in the long run to buy 100 factory rounds shoot them reload them and shoot them again than it was to start with 100 new brass and reload and shoot them twice. </div></div>
You do realize that you can load your own ammo for much cheaper than $50.00 per 100 rounds. If you use Hornady's bulk 55 grain FMJ you can load 100 rounds for less than $20.00 and have a round thats much more accurate than anything you can buy over the counter. Lake city brand new brass is pretty cheap<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">(and not crimped)</span></span> and because its military brass its pretty thick so each piece will last longer than you think since you are shooting a bolt gun. </div></div>

Ill have to do the math again but last time i did even if i used some bulk 55 grain FMJ that my dad has laying around i couldnt load it for that cheap.