• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Buying Tips

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
Anyone else ever get hosed buying either open box or bulk packaged bullets, or am I the only sucker here? I just tapped into a couple boxes of 168gr "SMK" bullets I bought from a guy several years ago. I bought like 6 or 8 boxes that he claimed were new. When they arrived I recall noticing that some of the Sierra boxes had been opened since the decal that wraps around it had been broken but I have seen this occur in shipping from Midway or other vendors when the boxes get jostled in shipping so I didnt think anything of it. Welp, yesterday when I finally got to using a couple of these particular boxes I noticed that the COAL of my loads changed pretty significantly so I measured the ogive of my known SMKs to these and they were different. I then weighed several and the they were a .2-.3 gr variance. I have found verified SMK to be +/-.1 gr. Now obviously I cant go back to the seller a couple years later and say WTF but it begs the question: Other then only buying NIW directly from vendors how do you keep from getting ripped off buying supposed match bullets online or even at gun shows? With the significant difference in cost between say a SMK or Berger and a Nosler blem, Hornady or other lesser quality bullet and the difficulty spotting differences measured in thousandths of an inch or tenths of a grain, its a real crap shoot. In some cases the seller may not even be aware of the product not being the real deal. Estate sales seem the sketchiest. Who know if Grandpappy just reused boxes for storing bullets?? One easy answer, I suppose, is to only buy NIW from established vendors but if everyone did this take a look in the for sale forum under reloading and realize how many of the ads are for open or bulk packed bullets and know that none of those would move if everyone took such advice.
I guess I am just sort of pissed and frustrated. Now what to do with a couple hundred 30 cal SMK knock-offs????

I bought a few boxes from a member in Commiefornia several years ago that turned out to be less than stellar match bullets. I finally decided he had weight and length sorted a bunch then sold me the outliers. Once bitten twice shy. On the other hand I've had nearly all good dealings here.

my experience isnt quite the same but still feel like i got robbed, ordered 1000 hornady 140 eldms from midway. I received 500 of one lot, 300 of another and 200 of another lot. still shit

FWIW, powdervalley has always shipped me the same lots of powder and bullets when ordering singles or hundred count boxes in bulk.

OP, sorry about your experience, that sucks. I usually buy bullets in bulk to avoid surprises. Typically, when I put on a new bbl, I try to buy about as many bullets and powder as I think that barrel will go before needing replacing.

i buy from both suppliers, midway had free shipping which saved maybe $10. i have oredered thousands of dollars of stuff from midway and never been shipped 3 different lots of bullets before. Always same lot. I know that hornady has a sleeve of 500 bullets 5- 100ct boxes heat shrinked. Why i order in certain increments.

I ordered 700 bullets from Brownells once. They came in three different lots! That was my first and last time buying there lol.

Brownell's seems to only match lot numbers when it randomly occurs. I quit buying bullets from them. Oh, and it takes them 5 days to ship after you place your order and they charge your card...

Midway...don't get me started but I'll at least say the blue box "blems" they had a sticker (not sure if they still do since i no longer give them business) that said "Guaranteed Count...Quality...Accuracy". Well a 125gr mixed in with my 158gr ..38cal doesn't necessarily fit that and when contacted they say sorry and offer a refund for the cost of the 3 bullets
that were not right in the 100ct box...wtf!! That was just ONE issue with them.

As far as other sellers i've bought both an done ok for the most part although some "1x fired 22 250" on GB isn't quite right having to throw away every 2 or 3 isn't acceptable.

Just be wise on who/where you are buying from is my best thought on it.