• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Choice AR15 .223/5.556 ?

Go get some 77SMK and stick them on top of 24gr of varget or RL15 and load to 2.250 OAL. It'll shoot better than you can hold out to 600yds.

My 5.56mm load is similar to the above except I use Nosler 77gr bullets, Speer Brass, CCI 450 primer, 2.250" OAL and 24.4 Gr RL15. Work up from below, please...

I have the Sig 516 it has a 1-7 twist and is very accurate even out passed 500 yard with 55g factory loads. I just ordered some Nosler 77g with the cannelure. I am going to try some 3031. I have a good load for 55g.

I have a number of rifles with 1:9" or faster twist, and they all handle the HDY 75gr HPBTM. A very accurate load of 23.7gr of Varget, CCI BR-4, in PPU brass, OAL of 2.260" seems to be about optimal in all of them. This is listed in the current Hornady manual as a max load, and its beginning to look like a generic load in my guns; Stag Model 6 24" Super Varminter, CMMG 16" Bull WASP alternate upper for the former, 20" Mossberg MVP Predator, and Savage 24" 11VT. Cycling and pressure signs appear tolerable.

I have attempted to duplicate this performance with BR-4 reprimed TulAmmo steel Boxer cases (which have a reduced case capacity of around 2gr less powder, and should be treated as a completely different smaller chambering), and the winner (at 100yd so far) seems to be 22.0gr-22.2gr of Varget, all other components being the same. I have some reservations regarding additional distance with this load, it may shoot equally small at 100yd, but I doubt the trajectory curve will match the other load. So far, this load will not lock back the BCG on the last round, but otherwise shoots nicely from bolt rifles.

Greg

Last edited:
No matter how you twist a barrel in a 5.56 or .223 the limiting factor is the length of the ogive of the bullet. Unless you want to single feed. I duplicate Mk 262/mod 0 and Mod 1 by loading 25 gr. of RE-15 (in a true 5.56 chamber) and loading to magazine length. I love the 70/75 VLD Bergers, but they won't load magazine length without the ogive sticking into the neck. therefore must be run from a bolt gun with longer magazine or single fed into an AR.

Have had good results with the Berger 75gr.

I hope you do realize that the 75 gr Berger VLD has a nose length of 0.570, which is 0.070" LONGER than will fit in a normal AR15 magazine, unless your single loading or loading the ogive below the top of the neck....

i have used several of the load listed here. most of them are a the maximum recommended charge or over it though. 53 v max is worth mentioning along with all the good ones mentioned already. it has a higher bc than the 55 or 60 v max

Thanks guys, ending up buy from midway, Hornady Match Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 75 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail

I've had outstanding luck with those. I have found they tend to work a little better at longer ranges as the reduced profile ogive gives them little better BC than the 77's. (Sierra and Nosler)

I also shoot the 75 gr Hornadys over varget. I bought a bunch of them when midway had them on sale. Took a chance on them, and my 18" JP barrel really does good with them. I guess I got a little lucky, but I won't complain.