• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet choice bulk .223 Rem

Numedal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Norway
Hi all,
Getting into reloading .223 for IPSC use. Been looking round at what is available locally in the way of bullets at a decent price in bulk (slim pickings), and have found the only real options here are Hornady 55gr FMJ (2267B) and 62gr FMJ (22760B).
Price wise they are a couple of cents a piece different.

I have found mixed reviews for either bullet, with the 62gr generally seeming more liked.

Will be fired from an 18" AR, 1:8 twist at paper and steel, up to 300 maybe 400 yards.

Anyone tried these bullets, are they worth going for?

Thanks

I use the 55gr FMJ-BT in all my bulk stuff.... I have not shot it over 200ish yards though.

If you're going to shoot regularly at 300+ I'd look into a better bullet overall.

I think you can get Sierra SP's or something like that for somewhat reasonable. Maybe I'll take my bulk stuff out to distance and see what I can hit

Reactions: Doc68
I use the 55gr FMJ-BT in all my bulk stuff.... I have not shot it over 200ish yards though.

If you're going to shoot regularly at 300+ I'd look into a better bullet overall.

I think you can get Sierra SP's or something like that for somewhat reasonable. Maybe I'll take my bulk stuff out to distance and see what I can hit

I don't know how much use there will be out 300+, aren't many ranges within a distance I can be bothered with that have that much space and get used for matches.

There are some Sierra bullets around here that aren't terribly priced, no bulk packs mind. Will dig a bit and see what can be found.

I usually use Hornady 55gr fmj or Berry's 55gr fmj over 25gr of h335. Haven't really noticed much difference in accuracy.

I don't know how much use there will be out 300+, aren't many ranges within a distance I can be bothered with that have that much space and get used for matches.

There are some Sierra bullets around here that aren't terribly priced, no bulk packs mind. Will dig a bit and see what can be found.

If you're going to be mainly shooting 0-300yds, then I'd try the 55 or 62gr FMJ-BT. The reviews prolly suck because people are stupid and think that bulk bullets are Berger bullets...and they're obviously not. If you want a tad more BC, go with the 62gr and try those. Do a load development or stick with some very known loads for most AR's.... (see below)

I usually use Hornady 55gr fmj or Berry's 55gr fmj over 25gr of h335. Haven't really noticed much difference in accuracy.

25gr of H335 is a money load. I've used it with 55gr Nosler Ballistic tips and its what I currently use for my bulk ammo.

OP... usually 25gr of most powders meant for .223 behind a 55 or 62gr would work well, but obviously use caution and work up.
All good options:
H335
H322
TAC
XBR 8208
BLC(2)
Power Pro Varmint

My WOA shoots the Hornady 55 and 62 fmjbt very well out to 300 yards...also shoots Bob's 223 bullets 55 well but since they raised prices during the panic I stopped using them.

Just received an order of the Hornady 62gr BTHP from Midsouth. I've looked but couldn't find any load data for CFE223 for that particular bullet. I did do a basic search on the Hodgdon powder calculator and found this:

1600472403209.png

I have no idea what the 62gr SFT SCIR bullet is. Between these two bullets is a large variance in powder charge. I currently load the Hornady 68gr BTHP at 25.4gr of CFE223. Should I start loading the new 62gr bullet at 24.5gr and work my way up?

My 3gun ammo is a Hornady 68gr bthp on top of 26.3grs of 223CFE shot it out to 400yds no problem. Not overly priced. Some shoot 55gr for paper and 75gr for any distance.

A very accurate and reasonably priced bullet in my AR's is the 60 gr Hornady SP with reloader 15 or Varget if you can find it.

According to the ballistic charts that I’ve seen, a 55 Gr will have dropped -10.9 inches @ 300 yards
whereas a 62 Gr would have dropped 12.44 inches @ 300 yards. One must also take in to account wind drift .

I just use hornandy 55gr fmjbt for plinking. But them 6k at a time.

Just received an order of the Hornady 62gr BTHP from Midsouth. I've looked but couldn't find any load data for CFE223 for that particular bullet. I did do a basic search on the Hodgdon powder calculator and found this:

View attachment 7426992

I have no idea what the 62gr SFT SCIR bullet is. Between these two bullets is a large variance in powder charge. I currently load the Hornady 68gr BTHP at 25.4gr of CFE223. Should I start loading the new 62gr bullet at 24.5gr and work my way up?
Hornady has Supplement load data , for they 62 Gr FMJ I’ve used that for 62 Gr BTHP

Reactions: Srikaleak
My son and i have shot thousands of the Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets for 3 gun, no issues out to 400. Have a good load worked up that shoots right at 1 moa in most of my Comp ARs, odin works BBLS. 24.4 grains of H335. I have also used Winchester and wolf projectiles, witch were junk......

Reactions: Gustav7
55gr FMJ with BLC2 is my go-to blaster ammo. Works fantastic for what it is. Anything inside of 1-200 yards, the cheaper the better.