• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet choice help, please.

ScottWatkins

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Oxford, MS
I was looking for some bullet option.I'm loading a .308 in a Remington VLS where the freebore seems to be about a 1/4 mile long! Right now I'm using a 168 Matchking over 46gr of Varget. I would like to try a 155gr. Any suggestions? Don't the secant ogives prefer to have less of a jump? I also have some 8208 XBR to try.
This gun has 65 rounds through it. Should I shoot it some more and then try to find a good load?
I'm open for suggestions.
Thanks,
Scott.

Re: Bullet choice help, please.

Generally the Tangent ogive bullets tend to be less jump sensitive.

VLD's have a tendency to be highly sensitive to jump position.

I'd suggest you try shooting the 168 or 178 Amax as well as the 175 SMK.

Don't forget about the Hornady 178 BTHP's. Better bc than the 175 smk's and the 178 amax.

Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna go to Sporstmans Warehouse and see what they have.
Slayer, is that their regular BTHP?

I use the 155 Scenars. In my gun, they like jumps in the 0.010 through 0.025 range, dislike the 0.035 through 0.075 range, and then work just fine again at magazine length 0.123 jumps. {Full disclosure: I did not check closer than 0.010 or all the jumps between 0.075 and 0.123.}

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigMoneyGrip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slayer, is that their regular BTHP?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady Match 178 gr HPBT

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=437242</div></div>

These are the ones ^^^