• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet Coating - Moly or Danzac or HBN

matthewusmc8791

Minuteman
Is there anyone using any of these bullet coatings or barrel coatings for a 300 win mag... anything good or bad???? didn't Berger use to coat their bullets with moly??? Hope Bryan chimes in....

Thanks for your inputs..

Re: Bullet Coating - Moly or Danzac or HBN

Not in .300 Win, but I Use WS2 on the bulletts for my 22-250, and my 6.5x47 benchrest rifle. On the 6.5x47 I noticed a substantial reduction in vertical stringing at distance. On the 22-250 I had a batch of 68gr HPBT's that had been coated and the rifle did very well with them. I just figured don't mess with something that is working.

HbN has a lower coefficient of drag, or is a superior lubricate compared to moly or ws2, HbN has none of the negatives like building up in barrels, does not trap water, barrel clean up is very fast, and settles after 1-2 rounds, easy to apply but time consuming which is why I stopped using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HbN has a lower coefficient of drag, or is a superior lubricate compared to moly or ws2, HbN has none of the negatives like building up in barrels, does not trap water, barrel clean up is very fast, and settles after 1-2 rounds, easy to apply but time consuming which is why <span style="font-weight: bold">I stopped using it</span>. </div></div>

If you still have some, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

cool.gif

I traded what I had left for SS media, to me my time is better spent shooting than reloading, I have cut out a number of things that showed difference on my targets, and I'm not shooting 155 scenars anymore at 3050 so lube on bullets had to go.

What's wrong with the copper coating that comes on the bullet?

I did moly, didn't make much difference - if you are a high master I can see doing it for that extra notch.

IT does help the barrel though.

If you have a 6.5x284 definitely go with a coating!

Just my opinion.

'Ah Mr.Lewis Terman has spoken or should I say the 70's.....
The general concensus from manufacturers, including shooters from this forum as well as precision shooter the use of some sort of bullet coating is not because your an extreme marksmen but it does two things or they say it does... Reduces chamber pressure and promotes barrel life, these are the two import factures to me.. An old saying I was told; I work so I can have fun hobbies, but I don't work because I have these hobbies and I certainly cant afford to buy new barrels every 3000rds....