• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet drop table for .308?

CUDDZILLA

Private
Minuteman
Guys, I'm a complete noob to this kind of shooting.

Equipment=Remington 700 ADL .308/SWFA SS fixed 20x42/Choate "Tactical" chassis/factory ammo.

#1) Is there a "standard" for bullet drop(per 100yds out to 1000yds) that I can utilize? Yes, I'm aware theirs a myriad of other factors involved in firing solution calculations.
I'm hoping to find a table that I can print out, or write down, and take to the range with me until I can commit some of the information to memory.

#2) Today, at the range, I zero'd at 100yds using factory ammo. Should I be zeroing at 200yds instead?

Thanks for ANY input.

To really get an accurate chart you're going to need to chronograph the specific load you are shooting. The alternative is to measure actual drop at known distances and use that to calculate velocity. An app like Strelok can be very helpful in calculating exact tables for specific loads. I use it, and it works quite well. Even helped me ring steel at 270 yards yesterday with my 22. It was spot on. (I won't mention hire many times I missed, but every time when I did hit, I was aiming right where the app said to.

JBM is a free website where you can print your own data cards and drop charts. as mentioned above, you will need to chrono your muzzle velocity so you can be accurate.

go online to JBM ballistics and use their calculators. You are not ready to use them the first time because you probably don't know/have all of the input info you need. Go on find out what you are missing (velocity, sight height, bullet, wind, etc.) when you get that go back on and put as much data in as you can then generate.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Maybe I'm not asking the question right.
Maybe I thought it would be a little easier.
I was just hoping there was a rule of thumb(approx) for each 100yds. I know you guys are talking serious accuracy, and I'm just not that good or experienced...yet.

My POF P308 14.5" using JBM Ballistics Calculator with 175gr SMK at 2375 FPS drops 12.4 mils/447.9" at 1000yds. Now thats for my gun. You would need to input your own data to figure out your drop.

Dude, this is literally rocket science. Use JBM and see if you can find a simple pattern in any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to shoot your rifle with preferred ammo over a chronograph. Measure the feet pr sec and type it onto an app. I really like the Ballistics AE. If you cant borrow a crono. You can revers add it. Shooting 100-200-300 yards and measure the drop. Then try to add different velocities until you have one that fits the drop. ( it can get you quite close ) Ballistics ae can send an email you can print.

If you snooze it - you loose it

On average.... a factory 175gr match will be real close to 37-38 moa at 1k, and 16moa or so @600. Of course, some differential will be noticed dependant on rifle setup, scope height above barrel, etc.. Now this is all based on 100 yd. zero. for comp. purposes always base you come ups from 100yd. zero because anyone you ask about their dope the answer you get will be from their 100yd. zero. It's a fairly standard starting point.

What ammo and barrel length? And is your ss mrad or moa? We can SWAG it to get you started. What distances do you have access to? We can see who guesses closest for your elevation values.

dmike might be onto to something, once you get the ammo you are shooting and barrel length and elevation I bet you won't be off that far with the drop that will be given on this site, the first one to post correct drop wins

26" barrel, the SS is MOA. As far as ammo, I'm going to settle on FGMM 168gr for now while I learn to reload. Distances, for now will be limited to 200 and 300yds. And thanks for replying.
What ammo and barrel length? And is your ss mrad or moa? We can SWAG it to get you started. What distances do you have access to? We can see who guesses closest for your elevation values.

check the back of a box of FGMM 168smk.
there is a chart that lists velocity at the muzzle as 2650 fps energy 2620 ft/lbs. Average range 0 @ 100yds, -4.3@ 200yds, -15.3 @ 300yds. (sights 1.5 inches above bore line.)

hope this helps

26" barrel, the SS is MOA. As far as ammo, I'm going to settle on FGMM 168gr for now while I learn to reload. Distances, for now will be limited to 200 and 300yds. And thanks for replying.

Ok I'm going to guess:
100 yd zero
200 yd 1.5 MOA elevation
300 yd 4.0 MOA elevation

Agree with dmike out to 300 yds. After 300, it's usually about 3 MOA up to 400 yds. Now it gets simple. Add 1 MOA every 25 yards until about 700-800 yards.
Jim

JBM has worked well for me. It was only about a crosshairs thickness off at 580yds, which is pretty darn close. Get on their site and play with some numbers, and it will help you a lot. Just learning the info you need to get your info entered is a great learning start for someone new to shooting.

Thanks all for the help/advice/time.

It's been a pretty steep learning curve already. Trying to gather the proper equipment(on a budget), learn to shoot, learn to reload, etc. while working 60+hrs a week.
Last weekend I shot 1 3/4" group at 200yds/168gr SMK's/44.5gr VihtaVouri N550/Nosler brass. I know that's not much compared to what you guys are capable of, but I'm really enjoying the process.
20141005_122838.jpg

Last edited:
My POF P308 14.5" using JBM Ballistics Calculator with 175gr SMK at 2375 FPS drops 12.4 mils/447.9" at 1000yds. Now thats for my gun. You would need to input your own data to figure out your drop.

Walmart has those barrel extenders you can get for longer shots...lol

Thanks all for the help/advice/time.

It's been a pretty steep learning curve already. Trying to gather the proper equipment(on a budget), learn to shoot, learn to reload, etc. while working 60+hrs a week.
Last weekend I shot 1 3/4" group at 200yds/168gr SMK's/44.5gr VihtaVouri N550/Nosler brass. I know that's not much compared to what you guys are capable of, but I'm really enjoying the process.
View attachment 52487

It is daunting now, just wait until you THINK you know what you are doing.
Good shooting, keep it up

i like the JBM ballistic calc you can get as an APP on your phone, while pretty accurate, it will defiantly help you get on target and find the actual dope for your rifle/round combo. if you didn't have any dope before.