• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet length

djkost

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2011
minnesota
I have a 22-250 (Remington VTR) and am currently using the nosler 50 grain ballistic bullet. Powder used is 8208 xbr- 35.5 grains.

My question, if someone can help is, the Nosler Ballastic bullet measures 0.800 acording to JBL List. I found a Sierra 63 grain softpoint varmint bullet that measures 0.755.

Now since the bullet is shorter but heavier will it shoot better groups then the 50 grain Ballistic point?

Now I know some will say "that depends on the rifle since all are differant" but in theory the Sierra should be a better choice currect?

I've read that rifle twist and bullet selection has nothing to do with weight. Any help, thanks in advance.

Re: bullet length

Theory is a good place to start, but reality is what counts.

I shoot small bore (.204) and alot of guys claim excellent results with Sierra bullets in that cal. My gun spits 'em out cockeyed but does fine with Nosler and Hornady bullets.

So, what it boils down to is try some and see. How the rifle handles the load is what counts.

If you're talking about the Greenhill formula, correct. Bullet weight isn't part of the equation.

Take a hard look at just what 13 grains worth of copper and/or lead really is, regarding mass.

Overall bullet length in your situation is basically meaningless compared to the bullet's bearing surface, regarding your barrel twist, .045" isn't enough to matter.

Chances are the 63's will shoot about the same as the 50's, with the twist you have.

Buy some, shoot 'em, and find out for yourself........

Thanks for the information, I guess what I kinda whated to know is there anyone that tried the heavier but shorter bullet in a 1/14 ttwist barrel and how they grouped. I should have asked what the twist in the remington rifle was before buying it because I would have liked to have had a 1/8 twist or 1/9.

Tripwire -

Gotta disagree with you on length not being important regarding twist rate.
Twist = 150 X D2/L (use 180 for velocities 1800 - 4000)

150 and 180 = constants
D = bullet diam.
L = bullet length

Nothing in the formula about bearing surface. As long as there is sufficient bearing surface to impart a stabilizing spin, you're good to go.

Bearing surface has more to do with velocity and pressure.

Fixed it for you Hedge, so it's a little clearer for ya.......

Rgr that, Tripwire
smile.gif

o.k. The Nosler 50grain measures 0.800- The Sierra 63 grain measures 0.755. Now with that formula the 63 grain should shoot as well as the 50 grain, correct. I understand that the rifle might not like the 63 grain bullet but on paper, the 1/14 twist should shoot it just as well.

My run of the Greenhill formula shows a 1 in 12 twist for those bullets. Not that I believe the formula is an absolute. 40 gr. bullets from my .204 stabilize just fine with 1 in 12 despite the formula saying I need a faster twist.

As far as them shooting the same groups...you won't know until you try. There is no simple formula that will predict the results with absolute certainty.