• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet options for 338 Lapua

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
Currently running a 300 Berger OTM but mag length even by CIP standards will not allow me to get near the lands. COAL to touch the lands in my rifle is 3.920". Not too many rounds through the rifle, I'd say about 400 and that's with mild loads at 2580 FPS. But my main question is are there any bullets out there that have the ogive closer to the tip of the bullet so I could experiment with some more seating depth variations while still keeping my rifle a repeater? I have considered Hornady 285AMAX, 300 Scenar, 250 Scenar, and the Sierras. I just don't want to buy these things and be in the same boat. Hoping someone might have had a similar issue and found a solution aside from single loading each round. I need to make sure I can send 5 down range exceptionally quickly to protect myself and my loved ones from the likely event of a charging herd of rhinos or a blue whale attack. Thanks

What you're going to find, if you do find a suitable ogive close the tip, is the ballistic coefficient is going to be very low. The resulting geometry required to reduce drag necessarily sets the ogive back from the leading tip.

Keep those rhinos and beached whales as far back as possible with a solid performing projetile. =)

The 300 Scenar is an outstanding bullet and the ogive will get you closer. BC, verified many times out to 2k+ yards is .765

Hornady's ogive is shifted more forward or toward the tip.

This has not been my experience in comparison to the scenar. The 300gr scenar has a much shorter COAL on the lands for me. It appears the ogive is closer to the tip and the broken tip on SMK/Scenars buy you some additional mag space.

Hornady's ogive is shifted more forward or toward the tip.

hornady match or amax? I am leaning towards scenars... Hoping to get to the lands and stay with the mag. Anyone have a few I could buy ??

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I'm using the 285 Amax. In my 110FCP, I'm finding .020" jump to give me the best accuracy with them. The tips are just barely rubbing in the mag so I single load, but it hasn't been a problem since I've only encountered lone AR500 targets and they move fairly slowly. PM me your address and I'll ship you a few to try if you'd like.

Check out the 300 Scenars. I ran into the same issue after I traded off a Lapua with Seekins bottom metal with all kinds of room and got a new, but early GAP/Surgeon XL build that has their pre-CIP bottom metal. My old favorite load was a 300 Berger, but couldn't even come remotely close. Went with the Scenars--which where I wanted them are still a little long until I get the new CIP bottom metal and action opened, but COAL (and ogive) was way shorter than the Bergers.

Thanks. I've got the 110 FCP (Even cheaper than your 110 BA) I mentioned earlier. I've been exploring a higher charge and 91.5+ seems like it may work well. I need to do some more fine tuning to figure out a final charge weight and seating depth. Are you sticking cases at 92.5? I'm using Lapua brass and rarely get any that stick at 88.5.

OP,

Send me your address and I will send you 10 285gr hornadys and 10 250gr otm bergers to try out free of charge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hobbyshooter & itsonlylight, thanks so much for the offers to send me some bullets. Its random acts of generosity like that remind me why I frequent this place and how good people within the shooting community are. I actually just took the plunge and bought some 285 Amax, 285 match, 250 otm elitehunters, and some 250 match kings. I don't have any lapuas but might buy some this week. So far with mag length oal (still a good bit off the lands) and a random charge of what worked with the 300 hybrids of 88 grains, the 250 match kings have significantly outperformed the rest. I did pressure tests all the way up to 100 grains of h1000 and things are still looking good with no ejector marks and only very slight primer craters. This is supposed to be a 3000 fps load so if I can find the node around that velocity I will be smitten. I am not giving up on the Amax fyi, those have always shot best in other calibers I've had. Going to try 88.5 gr 20 thou offas suggested and a few more powder charges at mag length to see what I can run as a repeater. Thanks again to all..

The limiting factor seems to be the DBM and mags. I'm not a machinist but I think if someone would make longer DBM's and mags for the big bores (338's, 378's, 375's, 405's) they might have a good LR niche. I would sure buy some.

BTW if you can get the 300 berger VLDs to shoot in your 9 twist anywhere near 2750+ let me know.. I can send the with the same 92.5 grains of H1000 in my Lapua brass as I can the Amax at 2835 (drop confirmed)..... But they just don't group unless I slow them way way down.. At that point the Amax out runs the claimed higher BC of the 300 grain Bergers..

It is almost as if the faster twist and higher pressure is doing something weird with the long thin Berger 300s

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Diver,

Check out Brian Litsz' piece regarding the structural integrity of the 300 hybrid, might have something to do with your experience with them.