• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet Point Lesson, Flinching

Six seconds from report to impact. Good shooting, boss. No brake reduces noise too :)

Reactions: 1J04
That’s a good tip. I see this a lot and have been a fan of doubling up for many years.

Also, your short clip highlights a point I find myself making quite often. That is to stay on the rifle through impact. In addition to allowing you to learn to see your impacts and misses, it’s helps to get them to focus on and feel the rifle through it’s whole cycle.

Simple effective tip !!! Thanks for that Frank. Also like the empty chamber or snap cap drill. Shooter doesn't know if he's got a round in or not. Good drill for all calibers really. Very telling.

Exactly. I've used these many times as a check-up of sorts. Just have a buddy load up the mag (very important for obvious reasons) for you and run the normal course of fire. I like the snap caps or dummy rounds as one can't tell if they chambered a truly live round versus the dummy/snapcap.

I didn’t fully appreciate the recoil of the .375 until the slo-mo near the end of the video.

Mule. Kicks like a....

These bulletproof point videos are always a great prompt to focus on my marksmanship fundamentals.

^^^ From the magazine-drag/bolt feel

First school I went to instructor had random snap caps in my mag.

My caps would drag like crazy, as a noob I could tell

Then he started closing bolt for me

Once i thought I was king shit (still sucked) he would close bolt on me and stack up a few dimes on the barrel.

Little guys would fall if you thought about flinching.

I stoped joking/arguing.

Exactly. I've used these many times as a check-up of sorts. Just have a buddy load up the mag (very important for obvious reasons) for you and run the normal course of fire. I like the snap caps or dummy rounds as one can't tell if they chambered a truly live round versus the dummy/snapcap.

I do a similar thing. I make dummy rounds for my 6.5CR and 7remmag. I’ll take 3 dummy rounds and mix them with 7 live rounds and load 2 mags without looking, or with my eyes closed.

Reactions: camotoe
I would add video to this as well, with handgun this helped me immensely with predictive flinching. Having a friend load the mag with a random dud, and the video of my whole body when the round didn't fire was illuminating.

First school I went to instructor had random snap caps in my mag.

My caps would drag like crazy, as a noob I could tell

Then he started closing bolt for me

Once i thought I was king shit (still sucked) he would close bolt on me and stack up a few dimes on the barrel.

Little guys would fall if you thought about flinching.

I stoped joking/arguing.
Heard of that coin trick....actually have to try practice with that after a good bit of preliminary dry fire fundamentals practice to tighten it all up. That would do it.

Double earpro is the way to go especially if on a crowded range.

Helps with concentration even if shooting small caliber.

Now if we could get away from muzzle break concussion . Lol

Reactions: FishDr
I've doubled up for years. Glad to see some confirmation I was on to something.

Just a little more info on serious flinching. I have been a competitive trapshooter. I don't think most guys have shot full-house handicap trap loads. You'll feel it more than a dove load for sure. Serious shooters will fire those more than 30,000 a year. When a trapshooter gets what we call a "flinch" it is actually where his body will no longer respond to his brain's instruction to pull the trigger. Sounds kind of crazy doesn't it? To get around it a trapshooter with a flinch will get their gun fitted with a release trigger. Nothing happens when you pull the trigger. So they'll be on the line and pull the trigger before calling for their bird. And to fire they let go, or release, the trigger. Obviously this can be a hazard if someone unaware pics up your gun... Luckily I had a mentor with a flinch who tipped me off to the problem -- which is actually pretty common in serious trapshooting -- and I've had my guns set up appropriately.

Just thought some here might find this interesting, and perhaps feeling a little less self-conscious about gripping and shaking in anticipation of firing. It could be a lot worse!

A random guy at the range gave me this tip when I was shooting my 6XC and my 308. I guess he was eyeing my targets and watching me... My 308 groups kept growing the more I shot it and I guess the disgusted look on my face was a dead give away. He actually gave me a set of foamies and coached me a little bit to get my head straight and in the game. After that I was producing sub MOA groups.

I had this issue a couple years ago. I crawled the stock, one day, and got scope bite. Developed a small flinch afterwards.

@lowlight any suggestion for getting rid of a flinch?

Maybe shoot a smaller caliber that is tame and cheap between strings
with the big gun for a while. Give your shoulder and brain a rest.

I no longer shoot till I'm done with the pounding of a gun with large recoil.
Too old and beat up for that.

I think most younger people grit thier teeth and try to work through it.
Groups will open, then frustration.

I have a couple of old school light weight hunting rigs I shoot.
I now shoot a (magazine) full slowly, and then pick up a 223, 300blk sub or even a 22lr
To fill in on rest period.

Fatigue is what probably got your eye smacked and basics comprimised.

There are reasons people use (trainers) shoot one till flinch goes away.