• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet Proof Vests

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
Hey guys, I'm suddenly in the market for a bullet proof vest and was wondering if any of you had experience with the vest in this link. Click Here WIRED magazine recently did a small test and apparently this vest came out on top with the others that they tested, though they didn't say if they used it with Kevlar (+$95) or UHMWPE. The price is right for me, so basically I'm just looking for some personal experience with this particular vest.

As some information on why I'll be needing it, I'm interning at a local PD and was in a situation the other night where I could have easily taken one had things gone south. I won't be doing any door kicking, so I don't need anything real heavy duty, but I'd like to have something on in case I do happen to catch a round.

Edit - This is the test I was talking about.
Click Here

Re: Bullet Proof Vests

1. No such thing as "bullet proof"
2. If it doesn't come from Second Chance, First Choice, or at the least Galls, then it's probably not worth trusting my life with.

I am not trusting anything without a name and that quotes Wikipedia in it's ad.

Check with the PD you are interning with. They probably have a couple vests hiding in the office services dept. Even if it's "expired" it will still stop a bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. No such thing as "bullet proof"
2. If it doesn't come from Second Chance, First Choice, or at the least Galls, then it's probably not worth trusting my life with.

I am not trusting anything without a name and that quotes Wikipedia in it's ad.

Check with the PD you are interning with. They probably have a couple vests hiding in the office services dept. Even if it's "expired" it will still stop a bullet. </div></div>

definately don't bet your life on any vest made by some fly-by-night operation. Besides, if a situation goes <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">really wrong</span></span>, you'll have AK's and AR's spewing bullets as fast as they can. And for that situation, you'll really want level IV plates and a helmet as well!

Your department should provide you with the proper protection. If they haven't already, it's time to talk to the Police Union rep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. If it doesn't come from Second Chance, First Choice, or at the least Galls, then it's probably not worth trusting my life with.</div></div>

Any particular reason why? I've read some pretty terrible stuff about Second Chance, like they continued to make and issue defective vests made of Zylon. As far as Galls go, does that extend to Paca as well?

Any vest that meets NIJ standards will do.

We've tested old turned in daily worn 10-15yr old vests that stopped mulitple firings of 9mm and 40cal.

Personally, while I liked Wired, I wouldn't turn to them for the most informed information and reviews on body armor. It's like reading Popular Mechanics for a comparison/analysis between Nightforce and US Optics.

We sell PACA and Point Blank, and they are simply the best body armor available on the market.

"Galls'" vests are actually rebranded Point Blank armor (they say so clearly on their site).

New to the site. I would suggest a level 3Alpha at least from a well trusted supplier. Talk to your training officer and do some research on your own. We all have different likes and needs, use what you feel safe with, your life depends on it!

bulletproofme is seems like a great place.
they are all surplus vests i think though.
some consider surplus or 'seconds' vests shit. others dont.

The main question you need to ask youself as a new boot, Is what's your life worth.Ask around the dept if they have a spare one that you can wear before you decide,And get one that fits.

I've worn point blank, second chance, and currently US armor. Go with name brand, that's for sure, you're betting your life on it.

I haven't noticed a big difference in comfort from one to the next. It's nice to have one that's custom cut to your size though. And thank goodness I can't rate their effectiveness at stopping a bullet either.

Why is it that civ's have such hard time finding a legit supplier? Bulletproofme seems to have seconds. Is there anybody that sells quality product to civs that I haven't found?

six9-

The reason civ have so much trouble getting armor is because they are restricted items. You have to so a legit need. It is also a crime for a convicted felon to be in possession of armor. Retailers dont want the liability of selling it for the wrong use. Just do a google search and see how many rap stars have been charged with being in possession of it.

As for suppliers, Second chance is good, but our tests on diamondback tactical was supposed to be amazing. You can also get a carrier fitted to it for plates and gear or a concealable cover for uniform use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, while I liked Wired, I wouldn't turn to them for the most informed information and reviews on body armor. It's like reading Popular Mechanics for a comparison/analysis between Nightforce and US Optics.

We sell PACA and Point Blank, and they are simply the best body armor available on the market.

"Galls'" vests are actually rebranded Point Blank armor (they say so clearly on their site). </div></div>

What you say is absolutely right, but in this test it is not like WIRED did the test. They took the vests to Oregon Ballistics Labs which is one of 5 NIJ certified facilities. That should definitely give it more credibility. Just saying.

This is what I found..

<span style="font-style: italic">8 U.S.C. § 931 : US Code - Section 931: Prohibition on purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor by violent felons

(a) In General. - Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall
be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor,
if that person has been convicted of a felony that is -
</span>

It goes on to outline the various requirements that a felon must meet to own such an item.

I can understand that you wouldn't want a felon to own it. And I certainly wouldn't want to get a distributor in trouble when they are trying to protect those who need it most.

However, shouldn't I (a non-felon, non-minor, non-sex offender, non-violent crime) be able to prove my status and procure such an item for myself if I am not affecting those need it the most?

Honestly, all I want is some decent protection to go into the 5.11 carrier. I hope I would never ever use it and that it would go into the category of "things I bought that are silly" (according to my girlfriend). Some days when I go to the range I just think WOW, I wish I could have some sort of protection. Also sometimes when I'm camping and I hear some ass clown mag dumping off in the near woods I think the same thing.

six9,
You must go to the same range I do. I have been muzzle swept so many times I swear I should have the helmet and vest, and arm/shoulder/leg protectors, etc.

Unfortunately, I live in El Campo, TX and there isn't much other choices unless I want to drive 1+ hours to go to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hog hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main question you need to ask youself as a new boot, Is what's your life worth.Ask around the dept if they have a spare one that you can wear before you decide,And get one that fits. </div></div>
That's the other problem I'm having, finding a site that gives me sizing requirements. A quick google search only comes up with forms to fill out and send in to a manufacturer for a custom fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lostangel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">six9,
You must go to the same range I do. I have been muzzle swept so many times I swear I should have the helmet and vest, and arm/shoulder/leg protectors, etc.
</div></div>
I've had that happen a lot too, as well as having someone shooting clay pigeons while I was still down range putting up targets.

So is there any place besides bulletproofme for quality (the brands people have been discussing) Civ purchase?

How about you just ask the dept that you are interning with if they have a spare you can put on while you are there. And remember, you did sign a waiver of liability lol. If not make sure you get a name brand PACA, FORCE ONE, SECOND CHANCE POINT BLANK,Safari-Land, if they still make them. Dont bet you life on something that is not well known or tested.

Welcome to the LE community. I hope your internship turns into a great and rewarding career.

For your armor (and assuming your department does not provide it... they should) go to a legit vpolice supply shop which deals in armor and get yourself measured. Order a set that fits you and which has maximum protection and comfort. Including a plate. Get two carriers. You can write the cost off on your taxes. Make rich Auntie Pelosi pay for it. But do not skimp.

You will wear your armor 8 - 10 hours at a time. It needs to be made for you, not hand-me-down. And it needs to be comfortable, especially in the deep South where your summer temps are, well, miserable.

Moreover, if you don't get a vest that fits, it will make your whole uniform look unkept. That will make you look un-professional and that's the sort of thing that sierra-bravos look for when they size you up (which they do) and when they try to decide whether to comply or whether to take you on.

If you are inclined to buy discount parachutes or sign up for third-world organ transplants, by all means get your armor online or from a seconds dealer. If you want to stay alive on the street, don't compromise and spend what it takes to get a good set made for you.

And ALWAYS look and act 100% squared away and in control. If you present yourself and your uniform as unkept, lax or looking like you eat too many donuts, you will find yourself going hands-on with the first sh**bag who thinks he can take you. Read the FBI LEOKA studies (which are available online) for some insight.

Again, welcome to our side of the thin blue line.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Street survival tip #1: Be polite. Be professional. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I think everyone here has summed it up. I was in your shoes at one time and was given a vest that was for someone twice my size...was damn happy to have it though. I have worn PACA, Armour and am wearing a second chance right now. Take what ever you can get your hands on right now (I know there's on officer in Greenwood that would let you use a spare). I have one that expired that I keep just for the same situation. If you are buying, don't get anything less than a NIJ level III in one of the manufactures listed if you can swing it.

Hope ya stick with it, it was definately one of the best decisions I have made.

Good Luck and stay safe!

so let me get this any felon even one like 20 years old restricks you from having body armor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so let me get this any felon even one like 20 years old restricks you from having body armor? </div></div>

If I understand you correctly, yes. If you have been convicted of a felony, it is unlawful for you to be in possession of body armor, guns, ammunition, etc.

I'd listen close to what Sirhrmechanic and LoneWolfUSMC said. I have a Safariland ABA (Safariland now owns ABA, Second Chance, and Protech). Mine is the slightly older model IIA, before the new NIJ standards took effect.

I would have prefered the Second Chance but that was what my department issued. It's better now but when I first got it it was uncomfortable and stiff. Just so you know and I had it done with mine you can send the vest back to the factory and they can make some adjustments if needed. I had to have my arm opening enlarged slightly. Took like 3-4 weeks from when I sent it in until I got it back. It was way worth the alteration time.

But, i would still stick with a known brand, for the little bit you might save will never make up for the peace of mind.

Good Luck on your path,
JMC

What about Pinnacle Armor's Dragon Skin. Isn't that the the new and ultimate body armor?
That's what I thought, but I haven't researched much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a reason nobody in the know has pointed to dragon skin.

Here is a little info since your google fu is weak.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18790506/</div></div>

Perhaps my sarcasm should have been highlighted. Just because R. Lee Emery says its good doesn't mean much. Nor do I get all excited about something just because it was on Future Weapons.

Let me be more clear. Victory is right. Dragon Skin has major issues. There was even a Congressional hearing on it. The owner says its bull. The tests say penetration was achieved. Its kinda like the fights I used to hear as a bartender. One party says there was penetration, the other says no way. Only those fights didn't lead to the retirement of generals.

Dragon Skin is probably better, they just cost way more and that's why a lot of things aren't used in the Military.

Dragon skin is not better, I would never take that shit to war.

If I were buying my own, it would be Diamond Back Tactical.

We are issued Point Blank and it works like a champ. Had a co-worker take two .45 ACP's at contact distance and the vest did its job. The other thing I would suggest you invest in is a good trauma plate to supplement the front. I personally like the hard plates as they provide a degree of puncture/stab protection. As has already been stated though if this is not going to be a regular gig for you just ask at the department if they have a vest you can borrow. Make sure it is not too small, too big is not a big deal as you can just overlap it but you do not want to leave a void on the sides or that is where Murphy will send the projectiles. An exterior carrier for your concealed armor is not a bad idea as well if you are not going to be wearing it all the time it allows you to take it off when not needed. Good luck and be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranger70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What soft armor would one wear with NIJ, 111 plates </div></div>

Depends on if they are ICW or standalone plates. If they are ICW, the manufacturer will state what level of soft armor they should be worn over.