• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet seating help

srzbiznz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
I am new to this and have a question although it may seem stupid, but I couldn't find an answer by searching. I have the comparator and figured that my bullet should be seated to 2.3535 measured from head to ogive. I started seating my bullets and each one comes out a different length, usually fluctuating by less than .1 give or take. So It makes me wonder if I am supposed to back off my seating die for every round I make and measure it individually? I am using Lee seating die and I think that is a big reason why I am getting such big fluctuations. Can other dies such as the Forster or Redding ones with micrometer adjustments, just be set and get consistent seating depths each time? Do those push against the meplat to seat or does it contact the ogive area and seat from there?

Re: Bullet seating help

I can only assume that your depth is fluctuating by .001" instead of .100" If that is the case then calm down and stop being so anal. Your ammunition will work just fine and be very accurate. If it isn't accurate it has nothing to do with a .001" variance in seating depth.

You have got exellent bullets if you have got only .001 variation. I have got some Hornady 178 A-Max. They go from an average .003 to .005 with the occasional .009, I will double check this tomorrow.

Redding goes off the ogive when seating.

Even with this variation with the Hornady bullets, they still shoot good. Early morning with no wind, I'm ringing steel at 800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Srzbiznz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I started seating my bullets and each one comes out a different length, usually fluctuating by less than .1 give or take. So It makes me wonder if I am supposed to back off my seating die for every round I make and measure it individually? I am using Lee seating die and I think that is a big reason why I am getting such big fluctuations. Can other dies such as the Forster or Redding ones with micrometer adjustments, just be set and get consistent seating depths each time? Do those push against the meplat to seat or does it contact the ogive area and seat from there? </div></div>

the variations are normal , yes back off your stem on the seater die and adjust it to get the same lenghts. A more expensive die will not reduce this problem, though it may improve runout. No the stem does not push agaisnt the meplat but agaisnt the ogive, take your seater die apart and get a look at it and you'll understand.

oo ya , the chris long obt website mentions something about .003-.005 variation in seating depth is acceptable and should still produce an OBT/OCW load , but i forgot where it is.

I would suggest you change nothing right now, .001 is fine, save up for a better seating die, I like Redding Comp seaters, but Forster Micrometer does the same thing but costs less.