• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bullet Seating

astrohound24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
Well I worked up a pretty good load the other night with 44 grains powder, FM210 primers, Winchester brass, and Hornady Amax. Managed 5 shots in group of .382. That is the best on that type of projectile I have done so far. One thing that has me stumped is when I am seating bullets. My OAL is not consistent but I am assuming its because of variance in projectiles. I am not varying by great amounts, but I hope as far as at the Ogive of the bullet that I am on. I shot the group above seated around 2.810 to 2.815. Any thoughts on varying overall length? I bought a set of RCBS dies today to replace my Lee set. Thanks for any info.

Re: Bullet Seating

your die is seating your bullet off the ogive and not the point. I wouldnt change anything if thats the groups you are getting. lee dies are fine

You can get a bullet comparator and it will measure off the ogive if you really must know what your present OAL at the ogive is.

Your variance in measuring with calipers is related to the lack of uniformity at the bullet tip. Your seater is seating the bullets uniform (assuming a quality projectile - Sierra, Hornady, and the like) at the ogive which is really all that matters as long as your rounds fit your magazine.

Well they all fit and apparently everything is ok so thanks for easing my mind on that!

Greg