• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Bullet Selection

EM92wx

Non timebo mala – “I will fear no evil.”
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
The Lowcountry.
I’m wanting to move into a rifle build and have always used a variety of bullets. Now I’m wondering if I should order a barrel for one bullet. How do you decide between different weights and ogives? Do you decide based on BC only, range being shot or what worked in previous barrels though a new one can shoot different.

First question a lot of people like to ask: what's your application? Hunting or no? Personally, I don't ask this at all for deer-sized game and smaller because I think shot placement will put an animal down with just about any bullet, but that's another conversation.

Second question: what cartridge are you shooting? This will determine what kind of velocity you will get from a certain bullet weight. Bullet weight can also affect recoil, BC, etc.

Once you know what weight bullet you want to shoot, then I would just choose one that seems like a good option to me. Generally, I stay away from true VLD's and stuff with a secant ogive as a general rule. Hybrids or tangent ogive for me.

Example: In my 308 I used to shoot 175gr Sierra MatchKings mostly because that's tried and true for a 308 and they just flat work. Later, I went to 155gr ELD-M's because they were a more efficient bullet at the ranges I was typically shooting. They also gave me a slight recoil reduction over the 175's.

(Now, I shoot a 25x47 with 131gr bullets that are FAAAR superior to anything I would shoot from a 308.)

I personally would tend to stay towards the heavy for caliber side of things to pick up the extra BC they typically offer. This is a no-brainer for me in the 6mm and 25 cal cartridges (20 cal and 22 cal have a different purpose for me (see: varmint hunting), so the heavies may get passed over in that case) because you can efficiently push a heavy bullet with short-action cases. As you step up to 6.5mm and through 7mm, 30 cal, 338, etc. the smaller cases struggle with heavy bullets more and more.

For short action, .473" face cartridges (similar to the 308 Win case), I would probably choose:
6mm - 105, 110, 115 gr
25 cal - my favorite, the 131gr BlackJack ACE
6.5mm - 140 gr class (maybe 130's)
7mm - 160 gr class and under
308 - 175 or 185 gr class

Reactions: Bear24
Thank you for the insight. I’m going to go with 260 Remington as I have a few hundred Lapua cases and am set up on reloading equipment for it. Also shoot 308 so I have a few hundred there also. I will stay short action. Primarily shooting from 100 to 800 yards in a club I joined. Not for competition but for fun. I would like to occasionally hunt. Maybe go with 140 as they offer more BC and I have a variety of bullets to choose from. I don’t think I want to specify one bullet over another based on shape. I need to research that more. Plus that weight gives me some hunting bullets as well.

@MarkLeupold hit the nail on the head. For a 260 the 140 class bullets will suit you great. The 140 hyb and 142 SMK are going to be the easiest from a reloading stand point. The 140 ELDM or 143 ELDx are both good too. I would stay away from the RDF's they work great for some and not at all for others.

If you get in the market to switch up brass or just want something new the 25 creed or 25x47 with Blackjack 131's will outrun the 260 in every aspect.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
140 SMK’s are glorious in 260 but the BC is kinda meh for past 1000.
Easy to load.
If you want groups to brag about it’s the first I’d try.
142SMK’s have a better BC and also shoot wonderfully with the same big grin group potential.

Hybrids are an all around excellent bullet with a good BC.
Very consistent bullets and also forgiving to load.
I never seem to get the teeny tiny groups with them but down range performance is always excellent.

The ELD’m are really similar to the hybrids but cheaper.
Some say they aren’t as consistent as the hybrids at distance and I’d agree but they’re good enough especially for the price.
Also easy to load for.

All three are very tolerant of jump.

My first box of RDF’s sucked.
Last box I tried were actually pretty good.
I still prefer others bullets though.

Match burners are a decent plinker bullets.

Hornandy BTHP’s are another good plinker bullet.
They can give surprisingly good groups and I’ll always have a soft spot for them as I broke my 1000 and 1400 yard cherry with them.

I shoot ELDM 147’s now in my 260 almost exclusively.
Occasionally I’ll shoot some of the 142’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkLeupold
This.

You can set a throat to a particular bullet but that’s no guarantee it will like it.

i disagree with this....3 of the guys i shoot with(myself including)shoot BRXs and have shot countless barrels chambered around the 108g berger BTT bullet and everyone of them have shot tiny groups...ive shot 6 6CM barrels with a .109 freebore which is basically for VLDs/hybrids and everyone has been a shooter with 105 hybrids or VLDs.

if you choose a good bullet to chamber around its going to shoot with a little tweaking.

i disagree with this....3 of the guys i shoot with(myself including)shoot BRXs and have shot countless barrels chambered around the 108g berger BTT bullet and everyone of them have shot tiny groups...ive shot 6 6CM barrels with a .109 freebore which is basically for VLDs/hybrids and everyone has been a shooter with 105 hybrids or VLDs.

if you choose a good bullet to chamber around its going to shoot with a little tweaking.

Lol
Just give it time.

It’s not a common occurrence but it will happen.

Lol
Just give it time.

It’s not a common occurrence but it will happen.

going on 4 barrels in BRX my smith has been shooting BRX for years as well as the other guy and always within .2g plus or minus...same seating depth,powder,primer ECT