• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet suggestions for .308 with Varget

TimK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
www.timkulincabinetry.com
Not new to reloading, but new to the .308. I searched, but realized you guys are using shorthand terms for the bullets that I'm not familiar with. I need to work up a load for a stock Rem 700 VS in .308, and I have a big stash of Varget I'd like to use.

Is there a top 5 list of bullets that generally return good accuracy in the .308? This is for target shooting only, no hunting. If you wouldn't mind giving a bit more complete description of your recommendation, it'd be a big help.

Edited to add that this will be used for some local sniper/prairie dog matches that involve pd sized targets at ranges out to 600 yards.

Re: Bullet suggestions for .308 with Varget

178Amax or 175SMK

Both of these are well suited for target shooting, and will get you to 1000 yards no problem, Amax are cheaper than SMK, but I think SMK is easier make shoot well.

1. Lapua 155 grain Scenar
2. Berger 155.5 Fullbore
3. Sierra 175 Match King
4. Sierra 155 Palma
5. 178 Hornady AMAX

The top five list you are asking for is going to be different for each person. Decide what you want to do with it first. Are you simply going to be punching paper at 100 yards or are you trying to make it out to 1k.

Here are a few that have proven to be very accurate in 308 with Varget.
Sierra Match Kings
Berger VLD
Hornady A Max
Lapua Scenar

Just to name a few

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Lapua 155 grain Scenar
2. Berger 155.5 Fullbore
3. Sierra 175 Match King
4. Sierra 155 Palma
5. 178 Hornady AMAX </div></div>

I would like to ad that if you're going to shoot short range (300 yards and less) that Berger 150 flat base hollow point bullets are wonderful. The Nosler 150 ballistic with the plastic nose are good shooters too.

The Berger 168 and 175 are both good as well.

If you are looking at 1000 yard type shooting, you need to stick either with Sierra 155 Palma bullets or 175 match King. Berger makes a very good 175 of the same design that I personally prefer.

Berger VLDs are wonderful bullets. But they are a bit harder to tune for. They kind of get frustrating until you get a hand on them. But you CAN do it.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ofcrfs242</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The top five list you are asking for is going to be different for each person. Decide what you want to do with it first. Are you simply going to be punching paper at 100 yards or are you trying to make it out to 1k.

Here are a few that have proven to be very accurate in 308 with Varget.
Sierra Match Kings
Berger VLD
Hornady A Max
Lapua Scenar

Just to name a few </div></div>
Truer words would be hard to find anywhere. First decide what you want to do with it then load to get there.

There are so many "good" bullets for the 308, it's hard to pick, just one, much less five.

Everybody has their "favorite". Why? Because what works in my rifle, may suck in your rifle. Because all rifles like all people are different. Also a guy with a custom stick like a Tac Ops, may think a 1/2" group sucks, and another guy with a Stock Remmy SPS may think 1/2" group is the berries.

We all have different expectations.

What I did, was pick a bullet weight, and then tried a variety loads working each up carefully with Varget.

I started with a baseline factory load:

HSM Factory 308 w/155gr. Sierra Palma Match. Shot good, pretty fast in my 20" LTR, and very consistent. This factory load would not win any medals in F class, but worked well in tactical matches.

I then worked up handloads w/varget, with the:

155 Gr Hornaday A-Max
155 Gr. Sierra Palma Match 2156
155.5 Berger Full Bore BTHP Match

I still have more work to do, but preliminarily the Berger 155.5 gr Full Bore seems like the winner. But again what I consider good, may not be to another shooter, with different goals. My standard of performance is my own.

Really, I could have just a well started with a 175 gr factory load, and worked up a bunch of loads in with bullets in the 175 to 180 grain class.

For tactical target shooting with the 308 winny. I would think that only bullets in 155 grain class or 175 gr class, are all that is necessary, for tactical shooting out to 1000 yds.

Other shooting disiplines have different needs and standards. Pick what's right for you. And go shoot.

You pay your money and you make your choice......

I use the 178 AMAX and have shot it to 1300 yards with a 45grn load of Varget behind it. Shoots great for me. The only bullet I use for matches that require a .308.

That said Hornady will have another bullet out soon, a 178 BTHP. It has a BC of .520 so it should also be a very good bullet to try.

168 SMK up to 600 yards

175 from 600 out

190's are fun just slow

A great round

Bill

The best thing to do is decide what you are going to do with it. (You said paper only, that narrows it down.) Then decide at what range. I have found better groups at 100 to 300 yards with a flat base bullet. Beyond 300 yards a boat tail bullet is needed. 168 SMKs will work well to 600 yards. But for 1000 yards you need either the 155 Palma or 175 grain bullet to stay supersonic at 1K.

EVERY bullet company makes what they think is the best for these applications. I prefer Berger, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer in that order for domestically made projectiles. While the Lapua bullet line is better than most US made, I put them on 1 to 1 with Bergers. And they are only marginally better than Hornady or Nosler. I put the Norma bullets that I have used are available SOMETIMES and are in the same quality and consistency bracket as Sierra and Speer.

Trying to compare these factory made bullets to hand made projectiles by a well known bullet maker, Berger is the only production bullet that I would compare to hand made.

I hope this helps you choose what you want.

From the BCs in Brian Litz' book I would add the Berger LR BT to the long range list. Much better BC than the 175SMK and not fussy about load length like the VLD type bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the 178 AMAX and have shot it to 1300 yards with a 45grn load of Varget behind it. Shoots great for me. The only bullet I use for matches that require a .308.

That said Hornady will have another bullet out soon, a 178 BTHP. It has a BC of .520 so it should also be a very good bullet to try. </div></div>

Now THAT is interesting Rob. Can you tell us more?

To the OP, really almost anything will shoot good. I don't see a single BAD suggestion in here.

The nice thing about the SMK is it doesn't seem to give a damn if you jump it, so if you have a factory chamber and/or short mag box you should be able to get something that shoots good quite easy.

Good luck
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not much more to tell now except they will be loading it also and have a listed velocity from a 24" barrel at 2760fps. That looks like a really nice loaded long range round.

When i find out some more on the bullet I will let you know.

nosler custom competition,these bullets have the same jacket as some of the more expensive bullets,but they sell for a lot less .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLM ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not much more to tell now except they will be loading it also and have a listed velocity from a 24" barrel at 2760fps. That looks like a really nice loaded long range round.

When i find out some more on the bullet I will let you know. </div></div>

Rob,

If you find yourself too busy to test them, I'll be happy to shoulder some of that burden. I love helping out!

smile.gif

I have a remington 700 vs that seems to like a 168 sierra match king over 42 grains of varget winchester case and primer. Max load for this combo is something like 44.7 grains but start lower and work up.

Dan, max for the 168 with Varget is 46grns. 42grns is actually the recommended minimum start charge per Hodgdon. You can actually bump that up some.

Queequeg, thanks for the offer
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like to ad that if you're going to shoot short range (300 yards and less) that Berger 150 flat base hollow point bullets are wonderful. The Nosler 150 ballistic with the plastic nose are good shooters too.

</div></div>

I used to run the 155gr Nosler Custom Competition rounds at 300yard Fort Wolters matches. The BC is not near as high at 155 Scenars, but I could make the Noslers just screaming fast without pressure.

168 a-max and 45g varget in lapua brass, in a rem 700vs cut down to 22" is working great for me.
one large hole at 100 and 0.5 at 200.

i loaded up some 155 amax over 44.5 gr of varget in magtech brass, seated to the lands...showed promisse... .8-1.0 moa i think im going to play around with bullet seating depth and see what happens

You should keep working your way up as I have found best accuracy with 155 AMAX and SMKs at 47 to 47.5 grains of Varget, with no obvious pressure signs, though I know that load is right next to max.

well i got a couple of primers flattened out, so i am goign to do it slowly...i think the brass i am using is just a little thicker

Remember, flattened primers are not an accurate indication of excess pressure. Is the bolt more difficult to lift open? Are there engraving marks on the case head from the ejector (assuming your bolt has a plunger type ejector.

Flattened primers can come from multiple sources such as excessive headspace, insufficient powder charge, greasy cases, soft primers, and more.

Your load is well below that listed as max by Hodgdon (47 grains)and other manuals.

Naturally an abundance of caution is warranted, but you may find joy a little farther out there
laugh.gif

45 grains behind a 175 SMK is a good load in Winchester case with CCI BR-2 primer. The only place a 168 has an advantage is 0-100 yards. After that, the 175 rules..also recoils slightly more.
I also agree that if 300 is the max distance your shooting, Flat Base is the way to go. Flat Base bullets have much more bearing surface and will do great at the shorter distances.

Bill.., there are no bad 30 cals! However all the best ones were turned into 6.5's!

I was going to suggest the 208's and 210', but I don't think you can get a decent velocity with Varget on those. I haven't personally tried yet, but i've thought about it. There's just a complete lack of any reloading data of Varget and 208/210's.

Branden

180 JLK from HERE .575-.580 bc. I am able to run these at the same velocity I run 175 smk's, 2680fps out of a rock 21" barrel. Ive had them up to 2730 in that barrel but the sweet spot seems to be 2680-2690

155 & 178 Hornady AMAX
155 Lapua Scenar
155 & 175 Nosler Custom Competition
175 Sierra Match King

.308 and Varget work. 168's work well also, I just have no need for them.