• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Bullet trace and impact

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
1. How important is seeing trace in a PRS event?

2. How important is seeing impacts?

3. Considering recoil is major factor in seeing trace and impact, How much advantage/disadvantage is there for useful trace and impact between the heavier 6.5‘s vs the lighter 6BR/22BR/Valkyrie?

Plenty of guys on here will have much more experience and knowledge than me but Seeing your MISSES is the most important thing that I've found.
Also, Depending on Distance and Magnification you are running, the trace may go out of view.
There has been a trend to shoot the 6's as opposed to 6.5's but I've seen guys with 6.5's clear stages all the time.

Enjoy

Trace is not that important but seeing impacts, specifically misses, is very important to be able to correct. Even of you can't see the actual impact on target from a shot up grey target you can watch how the target reacts to see if you hit left right and sometimes higher or lower. Targets will twist.

If you have a 6.5 set up right with a good break and some weight you can see what you need to see.

The guys who tell you they can see trace on 90% of their shots are lying.

Rob is spot on. Seeing the plate twist the original direction, not the swing back, is important. Seeing your dirt or water splashing on miss and measuring and correcting is the best thing you can do to improve your scores.

Trace isnt really important and i dont see it often. Spotting were your bullet impacts is incredibly important. You aldo have to believe it and correct. I shoot 6.5cm and 6br. The br is way easier to shoot well and doesnt give up much ballisticly to the cm.

1. Not very important.
2. Vitally important.
3. Massive advantage in seeing where your shots land and or downrange effects on misses to then make corrections for follow-up shots. If you don't see your miss or hit, and send another, you're essentially shooting in the dark. IMO, every shot should be based on prior DOPE, be that wind, target size, structure, hanger type, waterline, prior shot location on target, etc. So seeing where you're hitting is incredibly important. Shooting a caliber that affords you that ability is a key ingredient to that.

Consider this: Your first shot of the stage/match/day is a wind call. Every shot after that is simply a correction to that first wind call / shot. If you can't see where that first shot lands, you're never making a sound correction, you're forced into basically taking a guess because you don't have good information from the prior shot. So how much do you want to see that shot?

Morgan King discussed this on his podcast.

He doesn't attempt to spot trace, forces himself to keep his eyes open when firing, and shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor with 150 + projectiles.... and happens to be one of the best shooters in the world.

I'd go so far as to say seeing someone else trace is more important than seeing your own.

So, No, Vital, and not that enough to matter.

Morgan King discussed this on his podcast.

He doesn't attempt to spot trace, forces himself to keep his eyes open when firing, and shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor with 150 + projectiles.... and happens to be one of the best shooters in the world.

I'd go so far as to say seeing someone else trace is more important than seeing your own.

So, No, Vital, and not that enough to matter.
I would like to listen to this podcast… Remember which one? Thanks

Reactions: roperking
I think being able to see it is very important but normally you're not helping yourself trying to find it. Only a few situations mean I will actively look for it. That generally means a skylined target past approx 750 yards. I see a ton of trace inside 500 yards or so as the arc isn't very tall and more of the flight is inline with your target. But I have worked on being able to see it when I need to and I can see it most times I look for it. The problem is that right when you catch it (when looking) the bullet is already there and you probably missed the impact which usually gives much more accurate info.

Recoil management is HUGE in my opinion and you want to see every shot land. Whether it's a hit or a miss. You can read misses and hits. Hits may not tell you the exact spot but learn how plates react to know if you caught an edge or such.

I fire my rifle with a pretty strong grip and want to see everything I can. It lets you get a grip on your dope and current conditions. The sooner you can get all that lined up the more room for error you'll have.

As far as cartridge I think a shooter needs to work on a technique that lets them see most any round. I shoot a 308 in PRS and have no issues seeing most any shot. I see alot of trace and a most every bullet land. Yes it is easier to "recover" from a 6 or 6.5 but don't discredit fatter slow bullets. There are benefits to both.

I hope this helps.

Environmental conditions for trace seem to me to be narrower than they are for mirage. Seeing trace is more kewl than anything else, but does make spotting misses at least a little bit easier. You are not going to see trace more often than you are, unlike mirage which gets to be a constant when in the throws of summer heat. But, as has been pounded home, seeing the splash of a miss is what's critical.

Reactions: Milo 2.5