• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bullet trap

M.rolen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
wenatchee, WA
Hello i was tossing around the of making a indoor bullet trap so i could shoot my 22Lr suppressed at the house to get a little more practice. I was just curious if anyone has done this with success and if some one has a design that i could use to get some ideas from.
Thanks in advance

There's lots of plans out there for bullet traps. Rim fire traps are pretty easy. If
You do the rear plate at 45deg angle 3/16 plate will suffice I believe. Google it for plans.

You may want to look around for a large piece of pipe. There are plans out there, where the baffle (suggested earlier) is fed into a pipe with a slit down the side. Mounted horizontally, the pipe acts as a squirrel-cage for the impetus of the projectile to wear itself to a stop.

My description does not do the intent of the design any justice. Check it/them out, and you'll be surprised.

I've a 18X18X3/4" AR500 plate in a mild steel box, set up in the garage at a 45* angle. It dumps into a 30 gallon barrel that is full of water. Do all my subsonic and pistol testing/workups over the cronny in there. Saves time and money over driving to the range.

I've a 18X18X3/4" AR500 plate in a mild steel box, set up in the garage at a 45* angle. It dumps into a 30 gallon barrel that is full of water. Do all my subsonic and pistol testing/workups over the cronny in there. Saves time and money over driving to the range.

good idea. im going to add this to my diy bucket list.

Don't forget an exhaust fan. I'm assuming that shooting 22's at a steel plate close range may produce some amount of lead dust. Better safe than sorry.

Don't forget an exhaust fan. I'm assuming that shooting 22's at a steel plate close range may produce some amount of lead dust. Better safe than sorry.

They make filtering exhaust fan setups for Soldering benches that might work well for this issue.

You might also take a look at the calibre ammo that does not have gunpowder for indoor shooting.

[Emphasis added]

I think he meant "Colibri" ammo, which is the branding Aguila ammo uses for their primer-only .22 rimfire offerings [which use a 20gr bullet.] They are, for all intents & purposes, about the same as using a .22cal airgun both in noise & power. The Super Colibri uses a double charge of priming compound; still no powder, still w/ the very light bullet that is very similar to an airgun pellet in construction (small surprise there.) Next step up would be CCI CB Longs, which use a 29gr bullet [a la' 22short & 22long] but w/ a similar subsonic low noise profile.

I built mine that will stop a .50 BMG. It's not the best thing to shoot indoors but it does work. Since the range is 65 miles away, I test all my loads in it.
I'll post photo's later on. Total cost was under 20 bucks.

I built my trap out of high pressure oil field pipe with a 7/16" thick wall. The base is one inch thick AR-500 plate. The pipe is 48" long. The two are welded together with two layers of weld. The bottom of the steel plate has a pyramid shaped wedge welded to it to provide a 45 degree angle to the pipe. This allows a straight shot into the trap.v It also allows easy storage of the trap as a fulcrum point.
The "tube" is filled with 200 pounds of wet sand. Wet rags are on top of the sand.
This trap has stopped every caliber I have fired into it.
When done the mono-pod unscrews and the whole thing folds back onto the wall.

BT1.jpgBT2.jpgBT3.jpgBT4.jpgBT5.jpg