• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Bullet weight selection

Klemm

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I am shooting a 338 Lappula magnum, 300 grain scenars at about 2840 FPS. I am planning to switch over to 300 grain Berger’s. I have a brand new unopened box of 500.

am I pushing these fast enough to take a vantage of the BC.
Should I drop to a 285 or a 250 gr bullet. To increase speed.

Your fine right were you are. The only reason to drop to a lighter bullet would be IMHO if you were under 2700fps or if you were only shooting under 1000 yards with that rifle.

That’s a pretty good speed for 300’s.
Going that fast I do not see the 285 eldm or a 250 giving any big advantage.
The Berger 300 is more consistent at distance than the 285 seems to be of late anyway.

The only possible ballistic advantage you could really notice over the 300 is a 250-265 grain solid.

I am shooting a 338 Lappula magnum, 300 grain scenars at about 2840 FPS. I am planning to switch over to 300 grain Berger’s. I have a brand new unopened box of 500.

am I pushing these fast enough to take a vantage of the BC.
Should I drop to a 285 or a 250 gr bullet. To increase speed.
Isn't this something that you can figure out yourself using something like this: http://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi