• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullets sticking in Redding die

Twitch2120

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Atlanta, GA
80gr Eldm and berger vld bullets are both sticking in my Redding comp seater. I have tried both the vld and standard plugs. Both stick. Both leave visible rings on the ogive. Brass is brand new lapua 223 fl sized. Going to check neck tension in the AM and probably see what Redding says. Anyone else have any ideas?

I think you are on the right track with neck tension. Virgin Lapua brass is typically VERY tight. I typically run new brass thru a neck sizing die with an expander button to take care of this and take any dings out of the necks from shipping.

80gr Eldm and berger vld bullets are both sticking in my Redding comp seater. I have tried both the vld and standard plugs. Both stick. Both leave visible rings on the ogive. Brass is brand new lapua 223 fl sized. Going to check neck tension in the AM and probably see what Redding says. Anyone else have any ideas?

Smart money would be just to buy this and dip your necks:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/892537/imperial-dry-neck-lube-application-media-1-oz
Right now you're on track to crack your seater stems and Redding will not warranty. You can do the expander ball trick, but for me I always end up putting tension back on with a bushing die, by the 2nd firing problems will be gone.

After some time with Redding tech support we figured it out. Combo of 3 things. Small machine mark in seating stem is creating a ring around the ogive. This is acting like a hook, holding the bullet. Problem 2 was a herpa derp on me. Did not chamfer my cases so the bullets were requiring more force to seat further jambing the ogive into the aforementioned mark. Lastly is my fl sizer is a little snug giving .003 neck tension. Combine all 3 and were sticking.

chamfering the cases has helped but still getting the ring so a replacement stem is an route. Gonna polish the sizer stem in my FL die to relieve some tension as well