• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris 3-12x50 tactical.. Any good?

dmatlosz

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
United States
I was looking at purchasing a used Burris 3-12x50. I was told it has a couple 100 rounds on it. Any good? Whats a reasonable price?

THanks,
D

Re: Burris 3-12x50 tactical.. Any good?

its a decent scope, Ive had good luck with Burris myself. As for the price, cant say. What is he asking for it?

I've seen new one's sell for around $670. Used one's are in the $500-$550. range.

As far a quality goes, the Burris Extreme Tactical, is a poor man's Leupold. Except it has none of Leupold's virtues, and all of Leupold's vices.

In short, it's a Tactical scope that has: MIL/MOA, SFP, large undistinguished plain MILDot reticle, rotating eyepiece when you change zoom power (very annoying if you use BC Covers), and it's a rather large and heavy scope.

In short, for about same money, you could buy a new ($679 from Liberty Optics) Bushnell 4200 3-12x44mm Tactical, and get FFP, MIL/MIL adjustments and Illumination.

Or for $599. you could buy an SWFA SS 3-9x42mm FFP MIL/MIL. Don't let 9x power deter you. Whatever you can do with 12x, you could also do with 9x.

Both the Bushnell and the Super Sniper are miles ahead of anything Burris offers the tactical market.

YMMV,

Bob

I had one, it was the first scope I bought for my first "tactical" bolt action.

Mine had decent glass, tracked pretty well, and gave me no issues in the year or so that I owned it. I think a few others might not have been as lucky.