• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris Eliminator IV - First Shots Review

Two models of the Eliminator V series? I was only aware of one: the Burris Eliminator V 5-20x50. Please see:

Hope you are not confusing it with the Eliminator IV (4-16x50). Some people were mistakenly referring to the Eliminator V as a 4-20x50 when it was a 5-20x50. The Eliminator 6 is a 4-20x52.
I must have been wrong. I was looking at these two models on their website...

It would be great if their new model can give ballistic calculations out to at least 2500 yards for the 300 PRC.

Last edited:
Just saw the early press on the Eliminator-6 ... looks like the two big improvements are better glass, and the parallax / focus is now on a turret instead of the optic-bell. Basic software issue for me (ranging further than the ability to plot a firing solutioni) ... remains. I'll know more when the specs are fully available.

Appreciate always ideas and reviews. That said, I'd offer this. Personal singular use of Burris Eliminatior since first generation on .223 platform for prairie dogs from a bench. Now using Eliminator III. Shooting 55 grain v-max with very confident 90% first round hits at 450 yards common. Given caliber limitations, what more can you ask for? Always wondered why military didn't adopt these. I have saved enough ammo to pay for the scopes each year over 10 years. About to mount an Eliminator IV on a Barrett .50 to see what that can do at yardage out to 2000 using match ammo. Popping prairie dogs at those ranges, that small with .223's made me a believer, specially when fast target aquisition and firing is the quest.

Appreciate always ideas and reviews. That said, I'd offer this. Personal singular use of Burris Eliminatior since first generation on .223 platform for prairie dogs from a bench. Now using Eliminator III. Shooting 55 grain v-max with very confident 90% first round hits at 450 yards common. Given caliber limitations, what more can you ask for? Always wondered why military didn't adopt these. I have saved enough ammo to pay for the scopes each year over 10 years. About to mount an Eliminator IV on a Barrett .50 to see what that can do at yardage out to 2000 using match ammo. Popping prairie dogs at those ranges, that small with .223's made me a believer, specially when fast target aquisition and firing is the quest.
Read the earlier part of this review, and you'll see that "ranging" isn't the problem. Plotting a firing (holdover) solution out that far ... well that's the problem. The best I've been able to do is get a 300-WM, 300-PRC, and 338-LM solutions out to about 1,300 yards max. I can range to 2,000, but it only provides holdover support for substantially less than that. Once you get past 1,300 yards ... it's a Picatinny-Mounted Paper-Weight.

Did some digging ... E-6 User's Manual is already available as an online PDF, with Scopelist and Europtic already taking pre-orders or signing up for in stock notifications. It's also showing in the Burris-Connect phone app. I have to admit that it's got some features that make it MUCH more interesting than the E-5. I especially like the fact that you can program your custom cartridges into the scope via the app, and save those profiles for future use. That is way better than having to follow the old button-based programming sequence. The "Gadget Guy" in me is saying "Get one as soon as you can". The pragmatist in me says "It's still useless beyond 1,300 yards". I don't know which "shoulder demon" will win the argument.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Did some digging ... E-6 User's Manual is already available as an online PDF, with Scopelist and Europtic already taking pre-orders or signing up for in stock notifications. It's also showing in the Burris-Connect phone app. I have to admit that it's got some features that make it MUCH more interesting than the E-5. I especially like the fact that you can program your custom cartridges into the scope via the app, and save those profiles for future use. That is way better than having to follow the old button-based programming sequence. The "Gadget Guy" in me is saying "Get one as soon as you can". The pragmatist in me says "It's still useless beyond 1,300 yards". I don't know which "shoulder demon" will win the argument.
Hello Rusty, I had posted the User Manual above earlier. Where did you get the confirmation that firing solutions still do not go beyond 1300 yards for the Eliminator 6? Do we even have an MSRP or availability date?

Late day edit: Burris officially posted info for the Eliminator 6 on their website with an MSRP of $3000:

Gonna be a hard sell when I see some used Tangents and ZCOs on the PX going for as much. Element's HYPR-7 is also going to draw buyers away from this option. One can also acquire a Vortex 6-36x56 with a nice range finder for the same price.

Last edited:
Hello Rusty, I had posted the User Manual above earlier. Where did you get the confirmation that firing solutions still do not go beyond 1300 yards for the Eliminator 6? Do we even have an MSRP or availability date?
It still uses the phrase "... increases the distance of an ethical shot ..." and mentions nothing about improving the firing solution distance ... so I am assuming that this isn't changed or improved in the new one. Once it's available, I'll get my hands on one and find out.

Reactions: CaseFinder
The older Eliminator 5 5-20x50 has 50 MOA of internal elevation and windage built it. The newer 6 4-20x52 has 40 MOA of internal elevation and windage built it.

So, either this 6 model will be the only model in the 6 series or Burris is waiting to release a more powerful model in the 6 Series. Usually, companies offer multiple models in a series and release them at different dates.

The Tract Toric UHD 4-25x50 has 161 MOA / 47 Mil of internal elevation adjustment built it. It costs $1494

Last edited:
The older Eliminator 5 5-20x50 has 50 MOA of internal elevation and windage built it. The newer 6 4-20x52 has 40 MOA of internal elevation and windage built it.

So, either this 6 model will be the only model in the 6 series or Burris is waiting to release a more powerful model in the 6 Series. Usually, companies offer multiple models in a series and release them at different dates.

The Tract Toric UHD 4-25x50 has 161 MOA / 47 Mil of internal elevation adjustment built it. It costs $1494

Based on history, Burris has only ever released one version of each iteration of their Eliminator laserscope series since inception of the entire series. For the Eliminator 6, at 40 MOA of elevation, that is only about 6 mils of adjustment in either vertical direction from factory center, which should be enough for zeroing without a canted mount or rail as the Eliminator 6 user manual indicates (see page 11 of the E6 user manual). Presumably, the 40 MOA elevation limitation will not apply to the Eliminator 6 firing solutions as @rustyinbend found a 300WM on an Eliminator IV can hit targets reliably to 1300 yards (typically about 11-12 mils of elevation needed).

You mention a Tract Toric scope option (https://tractoptics.com/toric-4-25x50-34mm-moa-elr-rifle-scope) as a comparison but it has no laser ranging capability. I am not sure what your point was other than to show other scopes give more elevation for the money (true, but off-point given the Tract option does not have an integrated LRF).

Last edited:
Based on history, Burris has only ever released one version of each iteration of their Eliminator laserscope series since inception of the entire series. For the Eliminator 6, at 40 MOA of elevation, that is only about 6 mils of adjustment in either vertical direction, which should be enough for zeroing without a canted mount or rail as the Eliminator 6 user manual indicates. Presumably, the 40 MOA elevation limitation will not apply to the Eliminator 6 firing solutions as @rustyinbend found a 300WM on an Eliminator IV can hit targets reliably to 1300 yards (typically about 11-12 mils of elevation needed).

You mention a Tract Toric scope option (https://tractoptics.com/toric-4-25x50-34mm-moa-elr-rifle-scope) as a comparison but it has no laser ranging capability. I am not sure what your point was other than to show other scopes give more elevation for the money (true, but off-point given the Tract option does not have an integrated LRF).
I was referring to shooters today being able to hit targets out to 2000 to 3000 yards with 6.5 CM/PRC to 300 PRC with traditional scopes that cost much less and also rusty's experiences with the Eliminator.

The new Burris is $3000.

The Tract Toric is $1494 and the Maven RF1 range finder is $450. Total cost = $1944.

The Tract Toric has 160 MOA elevation. The Maven RF1 rangefinder can range out to at least 4700 yards. I think that's a better deal if your goals are beyond 1300 yards and my personal goals with 300 PRC. I do like somethings about the Eliminator but I personally don't think that $3000 is worth it when you can save thousands of dollars.

I was referring to shooters today being able to hit targets out to 2000 to 3000 yards with 6.5 CM/PRC to 300 PRC with traditional scopes that cost much less and also rusty's experiences with the Eliminator.

The new Burris is $3000.

The Tract Toric is $1494 and the Maven RF1 range finder is $450. Total cost = $1944.

The Tract Toric has 160 MOA elevation. The Maven RF1 rangefinder can range out to at least 4700 yards. I think that's a better deal if your goals are beyond 1300 yards and my personal goals with 300 PRC. I do like somethings about the Eliminator but I personally don't think that $3000 is worth it when you can save thousands of dollars.
Agree with you there. If they want to sell these, the E6 needs to be priced sub $2000. Otherwise, it becomes a boutique item like the Eliminator V and, as you stated, other scopes with better glass and reticle choices, with a separate LRF will continue to be the norm. It still remains to be seen what firing solution improvements exist over the E4's 1300 yards @rustyinbend was able to determine before.

Agree with you there. If they want to sell these, the E6 needs to be priced sub $2000. Otherwise, it becomes a boutique item like the Eliminator V and, as you stated, other scopes with better glass and reticle choices, with a separate LRF will continue to be the norm. It still remains to be seen what firing solution improvements exist over the E4's 1300 yards @rustyinbend was able to determine before.
There are things about the Eliminator that I think are groundbreaking which I really want in a scope, many of it's digital/electronic features where it gives the shooter the ability to consolidate devices and also quicker on target shots under 1000 yards. I am not too found of having to use external rangefinders, ballistics apps/smartphones, Kestrel windmeters walking through the woods/mountains just to get off a shot. I think the Eliminator is one of the best if not the best scopes for hunters and target shooters for under 1000 yards which the vast majority of hunters do. It's just $$$.

For a hunting scope, I think it's pretty much all a hunter needs.

There are things about the Eliminator that I think are groundbreaking which I really want in a scope, many of it's digital/electronic features where it gives the shooter the ability to consolidate devices and also quicker on target shots under 1000 yards. I am not too found of having to use external rangefinders, ballistics apps/smartphones, Kestrel windmeters walking through the woods/mountains just to get off a shot. I think the Eliminator is one of the best if not the best scopes for hunters and target shooters for under 1000 yards which the vast majority of hunters do. It's just $$$.

For a hunting scope, I think it's pretty much all a hunter needs.

Well "if it's just money," then we can settle all of the discussion with the Steiner M7Xi IFS series (M7Xi IFS 2.9-20x50 and M7Xi IFS 4-28x56).

Last edited:
Well "if it's just money," then we can settle all of the discussion with the Steiner M7Xi IFS series (M7Xi IFS 2.9-20x50 and M7Xi IFS 4-28x56).

I don't believe the Steiner M7Xi IFS 4-28x56 has a built in laser range finder like the Burris does. The Steiner rep in the video below mentions how the M7Xi needs to be synced up with a separate external Steiner range finder (Steiner 1535 Laser Rangefinder binoculars) @ 3:58...

Steiner's official website: "Just turn the turrets until the distance and wind correction in the display matches the information provided by the spotter and you will be on target."

So, you need a spotter to take full advantage of the M7Xi? I think the Burris might be a better scope with it's range finding capability.

I don't believe the Steiner M7Xi IFS 4-28x56 has a built in laser range finder like the Burris does. The Steiner rep in the video below mentions how the M7Xi needs to be synced up with a separate external Steiner range finder (Steiner 1535 Laser Rangefinder binoculars) @ 3:58...

Steiner's official website: "Just turn the turrets until the distance and wind correction in the display matches the information provided by the spotter and you will be on target."

So, you need a spotter to take full advantage of the M7Xi? I think the Burris might be a better scope with it's range finding capability.

No spotter, but yes, an external RF like their RF with it being FFP versus SFP/RFP, and a 1500 meter firing solution range.

I know it’s an old thread but I purchased a eliminator 6 awhile back and had it out in 20-25 f temps calling coyotes the other day and after about 10ish minutes of being out in the cold it wouldn’t range anymore. It would say 101 yards at various ranges or range error. It would even pick up at 50 or so yards. It was a slight over cast clear day 25-35 mph winds. It ranged fine as soon as I sit down but in a few minutes of cold I couldn’t get anything. When I used it in warmer temps it worked flawlessly. Another thing to note is I had it out probably 5-7 times and the battery was just about to die already. I sent it back to Burris for them to look at so hopefully it’s just a bad one and not the nature of the beast or they will be useless for my hunting needs in colder temps. It says -4 to 110f for use but that’s not the case with mine.

I know it’s an old thread but I purchased a eliminator 6 awhile back and had it out in 20-25 f temps calling coyotes the other day and after about 10ish minutes of being out in the cold it wouldn’t range anymore. It would say 101 yards at various ranges or range error. It would even pick up at 50 or so yards. It was a slight over cast clear day 25-35 mph winds. It ranged fine as soon as I sit down but in a few minutes of cold I couldn’t get anything. When I used it in warmer temps it worked flawlessly. Another thing to note is I had it out probably 5-7 times and the battery was just about to die already. I sent it back to Burris for them to look at so hopefully it’s just a bad one and not the nature of the beast or they will be useless for my hunting needs in colder temps. It says -4 to 110f for use but that’s not the case with mine.
Interesting ... thanks for sharing first impressions. Hopefully this is a one-off issue and isn't systemic in nature. May I ask ... where did you buy this? I've been watching for it to become commercially available and haven't seen one in stock yet.

Thanks ... shows "Out of Stock" and priced at $2,499.99 ... I'll probably wait until it comes available on ExpertVoice for the usual 30-40% off. I want one to try out, but I don't want it "that bad". :)

At the end of the day ... "Yes" they've made some nice improvement ... and "No" they haven't solved the issue of giving ranges that can't reach a firing solution.

I hold out hope that the "Eliminator VII" will range to 1,740 and give me a valid firing solution on my 1-mile rifles (300-WM, 300-PRC, 300-NM, and 338-LM).

Realistically ... I might have to wait for the Eliminator XVII. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Rocklong
Interesting ... thanks for sharing first impressions. Hopefully this is a one-off issue and isn't systemic in nature. May I ask ... where did you buy this? I've been watching for it to become commercially available and haven't seen one in stock yet.
OpticsPlanet has/had them in stock. SportOptics and Spartan Precision here on the Hide gives the best pricing so far unless you have ExpertVoice which is lower.