• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Burris or ss

Ditchdoc94

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2012
I have a cmmg 308 looking to scope up. Thinking Burris full field 2 4.5-14 x 42 or swfa ss 3-9 x 42. Which would be a better scope. Mostly paper punching but will be deer hunting in iowa and would eventually like to go west after elk. Any suggestions?

Re: Burris or ss

I like the Burris. JMO but I like the power range on the Burris and I just like Burris scopes. They are tough scopes with good Optics. Nothing wrong with SWFA SS either just like Burris better, Good Luck on Your Pick.

what is your budget?

realistically, I don't see either of those scopes fitting your requirements.

And honestly, putting those scopes on that rifle is like putting retreads on a Ferrari, it might get you where you are going, but it's not ideal to say the least.

1. if you are going for elk, that means possible very long shots which rules out 3-9 SS.

2. very long shots often require parrallax adjustment and I don't think that scope is parralax free, unless mistaking I think that burris has front focus adjustment, which is a pain for a shooter.

3. will you be hunting in low light? does that burris have illuminated retical? you may want to consider that

it's possible that Burris is you best choice given that price range.

let me say this: i own 2 burris scopes and both are currently sitting on my shelf and IOR Valdada is what tops my rifles. I found out burris is now coming from china and that bothers somewhat.

I won't there is anything wrong the scopes I have, but they just don't compare the scopes I'm using now. SWFA has better options but i think out of your price range.

if it were me, I would scan ebay and gunbroker.com to try and find a used higher quality scope

a final word about toping flatop rifles with wide aperature scopes: be careful about size and rings; the bigger that front end is the higher it will need to sit above your rail.

that's my poor boy opinion and you can take it to the bullseye

Looking at about 500 bucks ish, would like adjustable. Was thinking about putting whatever scope on PEPR mount. Off subject but anyone needs mags for g3or H&k 308 found them at Samco global for 3 bucks each

I have had both, I would go burris

I would rather find a used 30mm leupold on the for sale side , which you could do for a tiny bit more

ive had both, but the ss i only shot with 2x. I hunted with the burris quite a bit ( deer and elk) it was ok but for 500 buck I would try and get in line for one of the votex viper 5-15 that midway has or if you dont want to wait maybe just get one of the 4-16 lr. i know its more than 500 but not much more

I have the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 on my hunting rifle that is in your price range at 500. I have taken elk, deer, pigs, and bears with it and never felt I was underscoped. If you plan on hunting medium sized game with it I would keep the power to 10x or 12x max and the lower the low setting is the better. Also something to consider is weight if you plan on humping that rifle through elk country. My.02
Travis

I also have both a SS 3-9x42 and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 as well as a FFII in 3-9x40. Each one has their pro's and con's.

I'd also like to mention that the Burris FFII is made in the Philippines, not China as stated above.

Anyway, the FFII has quite a bit better glass than the SWFA SS imo and I also like the power range much more. The FFII I have isn't the tactical model, and while it does seem to track pretty accurately, it's a scope you will want to zero, and leave alone. It's not something that you want to dial for long range shots, while the SWFA is. It's got much better turrets that work much better for longer ranges. It's also Mil/Mil, while the Burris isn't. This comes in handy as well imo if you are adjusting the scope in the field.

Another advantage to the SWFA is that it's a ffp scope, while the Burris is not. This is useful if you are using the reticle for ranging.

As far as durability, I've not had a problem with with either, and I've not been rough on the 4.5-14 Burris. However, I've beat the snot out of the 3-9x40 Burris FFII I have, and while I've had it be an inch or so off after some really rough abuse, it holds up very well. This year was the first time I've had to make any adjustments and this was after several hard falls, bouncing around in a truck, etc. It was shooting 1.5" high when I shot it after the season was over. I also let a buddy borrow it, so I'm not sure he didn't mess with it, but he said he didn't. Reasonably though, I've beat the snot out of this thing for years with no problems at all and it's always stayed zeroed.

As for the SWFA I've only hunted hard with it for one season, but I did drop it a few times. I dropped it on tile once in the house that I thought would make it lose zero for sure. To my surprise it still was zeroed perfectly after that. The next time, I knocked it over while it was leaning against a tree. This also didn't bother the zero. So, it seems to be able to withstand abuse and still stay zeroed. Honestly, it does feel tougher than the Burris, but that's never an issue I've had with the Burris either.

Really, they just are two totally different scopes. If you want something to hunt with, that has good glass, is durable, and you plan to zero it and leave it alone with the exception of maybe using the reticle for longer range shots, I'd go with the Burris for sure.

If you want something that you will be making constant adjustments in the field on, ranging targets with the reticle, etc, I think the SWFA is the obvious choice.

It's hard for me to pick my favorite between the two since they have such totally different purposes, but I do think I'd have to go with the Burris, just because the SS doesn't have near the glass quality of the Burris, and I expected it to be much better glass for the price of it. That said it does have things it does extremely well, as does the Burris.