• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II 1-5x24 Illuminated Reticle Issue

GardDog

LT
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2009
New Orleans
I bought a Burris XTR II 1-5x24 to replace the Eotech on my company carbine. I finally had some downtime yesterday and had the opportunity to mount it. After mounting it, I dropped in the battery and found that the illumination feature on the reticle only worked after dialing up to 11 and then back down to 6. It would then work on 6,5,4 and 3. Dialing up from the off position didn't work on 3, 4,5 or 6. Only when you dial all the way up and then back down. I thought that maybe the battery that was included in the box might have been bad, so I picked up a new pack of CR2032's at the store this morning and replaced the battery. Still doesn't work right.... I plan on calling Burris tomorrow, but wanted to see if I was missing something or if anyone had similar issues.

And yes... The battery is installed with the correct side up.

That's odd, and sounds like an issue. There is a time-out function that turns off the illumination completely after a certain number of hours (not sure the number), INCLUDING time when the switch is in an "off" in between two settings, not at either end of the dial. But if starting from either end of the dial, all settings should work.

This is the third XTR II issue to show up recently on the hide. Appears Burris missed the mark with this series.

I at first thought mine had issues because it wouldn't turn back on from the intermediate positions but after reading the manual, it only turns on after the timeout period from the starting off position (before 1) and the ending position (after 11). Settings 1-3 weren't visible to me, I think night vision settings. It has to be pretty pitch dark to see anything. But yeh if you're not seeing anything when you go all the way to the off position before 1 and after 11, that seems broken. First report I've heard of this issue though. The reticle having issues on the 1-5x they've acknowledged (with one of the glass pieces coming loose). They've had 3 reports out of the 5000 scopes they've sold so they feel it's pretty limited. The 1.5-8x I had a decent discussion with them as well regarding the dual focal plane illumination. The issues some people were encountering they've ackowledged and will replace rather quickly the scope, though it is hunting season right now so things are pretty hectic in terms of response time.

I called the company that sold me the scope and found out that if I had discovered the illumination issues prior to mounting it, they would have replaced it (life lesson learned). They were very surprised that I was having a problem with that model and referred me to Burris and their warranty program. I then called Burris and ran down the problem that I'm having to the service tech. He advised that it sounds like there is a problem with "the board" and that I need to send it to them. You print the service paperwork from their website and include it in the box when you ship it. No timeline given, but I'll try to box and ship it tomorrow morning.

What I've learned:
1) Always check all features of a new scope prior to mounting it.
2) Be patient. As with all human endeavors, things can go wrong.

If I'm using gear on a duty weapon, I'd rather it be right from jump street, so I'll be rocking the Eotech until I get the Burris back.