• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR II 1-8 RFP

usmchog1965

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2014
Saratoga, WY
This topic may very well have been previously discussed, but here goes anyway. I have the Burris XTR II 1-8 with ballistic reticle RFP. I really don't like the fact that my 200-500 yard holdover marks are sort of "functionless" unless set on full power magnification. If I have a target I want to magnify at 4x, my holdovers will be off. Am I overthinking this?

I really like the low-power variable scopes, but I don't really have the money to buy a new one with the FFP reticle. I would be interested in possibly swapping for an Aimpoint CompM4S and add a 3x magnifier, but before I do anything I just wanted to get others opinions on the subject.
Thanks,
Andy

I don’t think you’re overthinking it. If you plan on using hold overs and do them fast then agreed FFP will be a better choice without having to worry or do the math as to which mag you’re at. Imo the best decision would be to sell the scope outright. Plenty of FFP options for a decent price in the LPVO market. The Trijicons 1-8 and Primary Arms ones come to mind. Better options too depending on budget of course. You might catch a trade but not as likely.

I have the same optic except in FFP and anything over 100 yds I’m on 8x and don’t have these issues and can relate to what your saying, but love the optic and my favorite LPVO as I have a PA Platinum 1x8 and a Bushy elite 1x8.5 and like the reticle and glass of the Burris the best. Maybe sell it as @StihlTech suggested and try the FFP version or the PA although I’m not a fan of the ACSS as much as the Burris or the Bushy ET.

Just sell it and buy the FFP version..

You aren't going to get a better optic with those features in 8x FFP for the price.

Just remember the biggest upside to your current RFP is the daylight bright red dot. I'm 99% sure the FFP does not have a daylight bright red dot.

Just remember the biggest upside to your current RFP is the daylight bright red dot. I'm 99% sure the FFP does not have a daylight bright red dot.

Its daylight bright on its highest setting. As in you can clearly see that its illuminated bright red.

But super bright like a dedicated reflex or red dot sight, it isnt. Which is common for most LPVOs.

Yeah, the SFP/RFP version is super bright like a dedicated reflex red dot sight and vortex razor 1-6. I'd say it's brighter than the Leupold Mark 6 1-6.

Last edited:
Yeah, the SFP/RFP version is super bright like a dedicated reflex red dot sight and vortex razor 1-6. I'd say it's brighter than the Leupold Mark 6 1-6.

I have a Gen II Razor 1-6. The FFP Burris is about the same as that. But in a circle, not a dot. So it looks a little different.

My FFP XTR2 1-8x is daylight bright from what I've seen. The glass also seems clear as all hell, and the circle in the reticle is big enough to see at 1x. It's a great optic, I love it more each time I shoot it. I've only had it a few weeks, but I'm happy with the purchase, I scored it cheap on sale from Camera Land.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I have that scope. It's my only lpvo, but i think it's pretty good. As said above, 0-200 is point blank shooting. Anything over that I'm just gonna be on 8x anyway. Also, it's a bdc reticle so it's not super precise anyway. If you need super precise, just dial your elevation. That works on any magnification.