• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical or Vortex Viper PST FFP

rangerluke

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
New Philadelphia, Ohio, U.S.A.
Hey all, new member here, looking for advice regarding which scope to purchase for my rifle build. I have put together the following so far, Savage Model 10 action, a McGowen Precision 26" varmint profile barrel, mounted in a Bell and Carlson tactical stock, right now the rifle is topped with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5X-14X-42MM scope mounted in a DNZ Products one piece mount. I am looking to upgrade to a better scope and am interested in the Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical 6X-24X-50MM, I am also looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6X-24X-50MM FFP. I want the ins and outs of both scopes, preferably from members that have utilized one or the other, or maybe has experience with both. Thanks gents!

Re: Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical or Vortex Viper PST FFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex is a better scope. </div></div>

Not sure I agree with that statement.
The Burris XTR is a fine scope.

HOWEVER
The Burris is SFP and the adjustments do not match the reticle (if a mil dot)
The Vortex has several different reticles, all are superior to the standard mil-dot.
The 6-24 Vortex has an outstanding rep for excellent glass and a fantastic set of features.
Of the two, I'd go with vortex.

I also would go with the Vortex.Burris is fine but you can't beat the features on the Vortex and their no nonsense warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke Pace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all, new member here, looking for advice regarding which scope to purchase for my rifle build. I have put together the following so far, Savage Model 10 action, a McGowen Precision 26" varmint profile barrel, mounted in a Bell and Carlson tactical stock, right now the rifle is topped with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5X-14X-42MM scope mounted in a DNZ Products one piece mount. I am looking to upgrade to a better scope and am interested in the Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical 6X-24X-50MM, I am also looking at the Vortex Viper PST 6X-24X-50MM FFP. I want the ins and outs of both scopes, preferably from members that have utilized one or the other, or maybe has experience with both. Thanks gents! </div></div>

Get yourself to TVP or Rayners and get behind both scopes. I've seen both scopes in action at both ranges. Find out which one you like the best in real world conditions and make a choice.

Good luck,
Merritt

And then there is the Bushnell 3.5x 21x HDMR W/ H59 reticle and 1st FFP.
That's my choice.

I'm getting rid of my Burris Black Diamond 3x - 12x W/ mil dot reticle in 2d FFP. Good quality but MOA clicks.

From experiences with Burris I would go Vortex PST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex is a better scope.</div></div>

^This

Vortex:
EBR-1 Reticle with a matching turret
mil/mil or moa/moa your choice.
FFP or SFP your choice.

Burris:
mildot w/moa turrets
SFP

Vortex gave me the option that I wanted: mil/mil FFP
Vortex optics beat my Mark 4 optics.

I went with Vortex, Burris didn't get a consideration because they didn't meet my specs.

Matching reticle and turrets are HIGHLY important to long range shooting. Get the Vortex.

To me, there is no comparison. Vortex all the way... PERIOD!!

DK

Vortex, can't beat their warranty.

Yeah, we have never made long distance shots until we had matching reticle and adjustments. My goodness!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matching reticle and turrets are HIGHLY important to long range shooting. Get the Vortex. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman10-32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we have never made long distance shots until we had matching reticle and adjustments. My goodness! </div></div>

Sure, but they made long distance shots without optics too once. doesn't mean that the glass isn't important. Reticle and Adjustment being the same unit of measure makes things easier, and just makes sense. Why have different units of measure, what purpose does that serve?

I own 12 Burris XTR rifle scopes. I also own 3 vortex scopes. I will say, Both scopes are very nice. I had to chime in on Burris though since I saw others not too Keen on them. I am very pleased with my XTR optics. They are very clear. (excellent glass) They track well and are very durable. I have dealt with the customer service on a few occasions. They have always been beyond helpful and always accomplished what I asked and then some. I should also add that my dealings with CS was not their or their products fault. I had a buddy recently drop my rifle out of a stand and the scope took the 25 ft fall. I called and spoke with Brian and Josh. They simply sent me a return form and said they would take care of it. Their warranty is AMAZING. The people speak ENGLISH and the products are made locally in Greely Colorado.

Both scopes are great scopes but there is a reason I have 12 xtr's

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own 12 Burris XTR rifle scopes. I also own 3 vortex scopes. I will say, Both scopes are very nice. I had to chime in on Burris though since I saw others not too Keen on them. I am very pleased with my XTR optics. They are very clear. (excellent glass) They track well and are very durable. I have dealt with the customer service on a few occasions. They have always been beyond helpful and always accomplished what I asked and then some. I should also add that my dealings with CS was not their or their products fault. I had a buddy recently drop my rifle out of a stand and the scope took the 25 ft fall. I called and spoke with Brian and they simply sent me a return form and said they would take care of it. Their warranty is AMAZING. The people speak ENGLISH and the products are made locally in Greely Colorado.

Just my .02 </div></div>

Guess I should add that I have the XTR 1-4, and also love it. The only complaint is with the brightness of the illumination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman10-32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we have never made long distance shots until we had matching reticle and adjustments. My goodness!</div></div>

Damned right! I'm not going to try something new even if it might be better! God forbid I may end up liking it and have to spend money.

+1 for the pst. Also look at the sfp 6-24 pst. I liked it also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flynlow3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own 12 Burris XTR rifle scopes. I also own 3 vortex scopes. I will say, Both scopes are very nice. I had to chime in on Burris though since I saw others not too Keen on them. I am very pleased with my XTR optics. They are very clear. (excellent glass) They track well and are very durable. I have dealt with the customer service on a few occasions. They have always been beyond helpful and always accomplished what I asked and then some. I should also add that my dealings with CS was not their or their products fault. I had a buddy recently drop my rifle out of a stand and the scope took the 25 ft fall. I called and spoke with Brian and Josh. They simply sent me a return form and said they would take care of it. Their warranty is AMAZING. The people speak ENGLISH and the products are made locally in Greely Colorado.

Just my .02</div></div>

Do you have any problem when ranging with the mildots seeing how the turrets are moa, get confused etc...? I'm very happy with the Burris Fullfield II I have on the rifle now, the glass is very clear for a scope costing around $300. That's the main reason I'm considering the Burris, meaning my experience with them. I've read a lot of negative responses about scopes with a mildot reticle and moa turrets, was this not the norm for a very long time? I don't want to lay down close to a thousand dollars before I get some insight into what I'm purchasing. I will definitely at least look through both scopes before making a purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.thundervalleyprecision.com
www.raynersrange.com
</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.thundervalleyprecision.com
www.raynersrange.com
</div></div>

Thanks, each range is within an hour or so from my house, looking forward to seeing what these places have to offer! Hell I might even spend some of my moldy money and take a course! Thanks for the info!

Holy shit! I agree that mil/mil is the way to go, but if you decide to go the other way its not going to make it so you cant make accurate hits at long distance. My point was that people tend to overstate things just because they hear it on Snipershide. Stop being tools and think for yourselves. I would go mil/mil, but if you can find a deal on a mil/moa or if you happen to find one with features and glass you like go for it! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman10-32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we have never made long distance shots until we had matching reticle and adjustments. My goodness!</div></div>

Damned right! I'm not going to try something new even if it might be better! God forbid I may end up liking it and have to spend money. </div></div>

When I was at the 2010 shot show I asked the Burris reps if they had plans to make a FFP scope and they looked at me like I was nuts, LOL.

I tried to explain the advantages of matching turrets and reticle, specifically mil/mil. To put it plainly the experience was a total flop. They were grinning at me like a smashed cat on the highway not knowing what to say.

If you want to compare Burris to Leupolds from a decade ago they'll be close but otherwise Burris has tried to rest on their reputation and been left in the dust as far as tactical scopes go. I wouldn't even consider Burris because there are so many other better choices nowadays.

I just bought a BSA 4-14 FFP from midway. Yeah it's a cheap scope at $250 but it has most of the modern features I'm used to with my expensive FFP scopes. I'd rather have it than any Burris scope honestly.

Luke,

Here is my advice to you. I like Burris because it is a durable optic with great CS. They are very clear and track well. The mil/moa set up is done by a lot of scope companies. It is all in what you get used to. For the price, the moa/mil is not an issue for me. I shoot long ranges by simply investing my money into other equiptment to help my shot. I have a range finder that tells me the yardage to my target. I also have a let if fly app for an ipod touch that I plug all the information into and it does all the caluclations (click wise) specific to your scope and set up. Ranging with reticles is a great concept but I like to be precise. Once you go above the 600 dollar range on scopes your bang for your $ starts closing in fast. I own leupold mark 4's Burris xtr, US Optics, Vortex, Schimdt bender ect... My experience is dont go with the fad or you will lose $. Get something of quality and learn off of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke Pace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you have any problem when ranging with the mildots seeing how the turrets are moa, get confused etc...? I'm very happy with the Burris Fullfield II I have on the rifle now, the glass is very clear for a scope costing around $300. That's the main reason I'm considering the Burris, meaning my experience with them. I've read a lot of negative responses about scopes with a mildot reticle and moa turrets, was this not the norm for a very long time? I don't want to lay down close to a thousand dollars before I get some insight into what I'm purchasing. I will definitely at least look through both scopes before making a purchase. </div></div>

There's nothing really 'wrong' with the burris, mixed scopes, or sfp scopes in general. If you take a tactical class that involves shooting at unknown distances it can get to be a headache though.

I have 'mixed' and 'matching' scopes and I would take the matching scopes every day and twice on Sunday. Once you start twisting knobs, holding for wind etc it is just easier.

Don't see how you'd go wrong with the 6-24 PST FFP model. They fly off the shelves whenever they are in stock. There is a reason for that.

Another couple options under a thousand are the bushnell 3-12 FFP and Weaver 3-15 FFP but neither is as good as the Vortex PST in question. They are less money though and easier to find.

I've owned a Burris XTR and now own a Vortex PST. They are not even in the same class, not by a longshot. The Vortex is hands down a better scope. If you bought a Burris XTR and then looked at A Vortex PST, you would have buyers remorse.