• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3 vs XTR Pro Initial Showdown

And a pic of the Burris Pro which is about the same size as the XTRIIIi on my centerfire in a 1.35” mount I believe.

A19B7115-81F2-4CAE-9743-6B3243789886.jpeg

Oh and order from @LibertyOptics as Scott has some great prices. Put in cart to get the price.

Here’s an idea of height. This is a 1.18” height mount and a 56mm scope on my Vudoo. That barrel is heavier than the Bergara factory barrel. Plenty of height.

View attachment 8073579
Awesome - thank you, I will reach out to Scott. The XTR rings come in 1" and 1.5 for the 35 mm, think I will try the 1" and see how it fits.
Love the look of that Vudoo, that's probably the next stop for me.

Reactions: Rob01
Awesome - thank you, I will reach out to Scott. The XTR rings come in 1" and 1.5 for the 35 mm, think I will try the 1" and see how it fits.
Love the look of that Vudoo, that's probably the next stop for me.

The Burris are 34mm. 1” should work. I have used that height before too.

Thank you
I have looked at every scope on the market below a ZCO. Currently, I've settled on the Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 with SCR Mil Reticle.
I have three of these, they all have excellent glass. Compared side x side with three different 3.3-18x50 SCR Mil versions, the 5.5-30's have a "nicer picture" with more clear glass at all mag levels. At least that is the way it was with my 6 Burris XTR3 scopes.

I recently purchased a Zeiss LRP 3.6-18x50 and compared it with my two Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18x50 PR-1 Mil scopes. The after hours of adjustment, the Zeiss was "barely" nicer in resolution, contrast and color were identical.

I had two of my 5.5-30 XTR 3 scopes that weren't mounted, so I compared those both to the Zeiss. My XTR3's were better in every way.

I sold the Zeiss.

I just got a great deal on a Burris XTR Pro with SCR 1/4 Mil. Just arrived today from Sportoptics. I spent a good portion of today, off and on comparing it directly on a tripod from ranges of 70 yards to 1200 yards from the front of my house to the mountainside in my neighborhood.

I know that my examples of the Standard XTR3 5.5-30 have OUTSTANDING glass, i've tuned the eye piece perfectly for optimum resolution for my eyes. They must be "good ones" because they are incredible.

The Pro initially "didn't look as good". I played with the eye piece "reticle focus" some more and tuned it to where things started to come together. I also realized that the parallax on the Pro is more "finicky" than the standard XTR3. You have to fine tune it more than the regular XTR3 to get the parallax out and resolution perfect.

After spending a good portion of today looking through these, and fucking with adjustments on the pro.

Here is the conclusion.

XTR Pro
Parallax adjustment is more finicky, more critical to "tune". 1200 yards parallax was "out" with setting just past 750 yard mark on dial. Closer to 750 than infinity mark. When set to infinity, parallax was present and clarity suffered at 1200 yards. I'm assuming this may be good set at infinity at ranges closer to a mile.
Colors.......Deeper Green, Darker Browns(notably "different" than the XTR3)
Resolution.......Excellent, BARELY better than my standard XTR3, (depending on what I looked at)
Contrast.........Excellent, notably better than my standard XTR3 (still very close optically)
Brightness.........Both, bright as hell

XTR3
Parallax adjustment very forgiving......set to infinity, 700 to 1200 yds objects seemed focused well.
Colors......a little lighter looking, one might think "brighter", but not really, just not as deep color
Resolution......Excellent, slightly less than XTR Pro
Contrast.........Excellent, slightly less than XTR Pro
Brightness..........colors seem lighter, greens are a lighter green, browns are a lighter brown.

I think I have 3 excellent 5.5-30x56 standard XTR3's. The one that currently isn't mounted, is probably the "best" of the bunch.

It is the only one that isn't mounted, so It's the only one I compared the pro to.

In my examples................they are fucking close.

They are both fucking awesome.

As far as the pro, the illumination choice of Red, or Green is awesome. (it's not daylight bright), which is fine for me.
The SCR 1/4 Mil reticle is AWESOME!!
The elevation Turret is AWESOME.

P.S...................
I've compared this standard 5.5-30x56 XTR3 to my Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36 and on 25x and 30x the Vortex was slightly better.

So, without having the Vortex available to put on the tripod, it didn't get a direct comparison to the pro. I know from experience though, that the Vortex will be slightly "nicer" than the pro.

Conclusion...........

The $1100 Camerland deal on the Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 (If you can live with the SCR reticle)................is a FUCKING STEAL.

I'm happy with the Pro though (for under $1900 shipped NEW) .....................it's sticking around. Well done Burris, and thanks to SportOptics for the hookup.

P.S.
For those who don't think it's worth dicking around with the "reticle focus" to "tune resolution", your missing out. EVERY scope I've put on a tripod and spent time with has benefited, sometimes greatly by a slight tune to the "fast focus" reticle adjustment.

ajLGXwq.jpg

xqIGknt.jpg
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank you for your review. Based on this I just ordered the XTR III off ExpertVoice for (don’t put their prices in public). I had looked at a lot of scopes in the $1000-1500 range and was hoping to find one on sale for less that $1000. I considered the XTR II in 5-25 but was concerned about the glass. I was also looking at the Athlon Ares ETR. I was even looking at the Nightforce SHV 5.5-20. Your review among others, the sale price and the fact they are in Greely CO, my home state, sealed the deal. BTW, I will be putting this on a Tikka T3x in 6.5C in a MDT chassis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christoph
How are the xtr3s holding up in terms of tracking, and zero retention with hard field use?

How are the xtr3s holding up in terms of tracking, and zero retention with hard field use?
Mine gets pretty light duty, on a 17 hmr, but goes into the field all the time varmint hunting, I still really like it, no problems, only thing I would note is the Bergara B14r is kinda heavy anyway and with this scope and the Burris rings, it really adds up. I don't really mind, as this rig has racked up hundreds of bodies, I'm always a little surprised if I miss a prairie dog (out to 150 y). On my other varmint gun I run a Vortex Razor HD LHT and like it too, but with both I rarely shoot past 200 y.

Mine hasn’t had any hard field use, but it’s had hundreds of shots fired on my bolt-action 6 ARC. Not much recoil, but I do twist the turrets a lot. It always tracks true, and returns to zero.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Just giving this a quick bump to see how folks are feeling between the XTR Pro and XTR III now that it's been a few more months. I'm about to order one of these for my Bergara B14R Precision Rimfire build, but can't decide if the Pro is worth the extra money over the XTR III. It seems like "feature wise", all you really get is the adjustable zero stop. I believe on the XTR III you can only set it to zero, and not a half-mil past zero.

Anything else I'm missing? I know there are other scopes available in this price range, but I don't see one that matches up, AND has a locking diopter for reticle focus. The locking focus ring is a feature I want to have on this scope.

Thanks.

Just giving this a quick bump to see how folks are feeling between the XTR Pro and XTR III now that it's been a few more months. I'm about to order one of these for my Bergara B14R Precision Rimfire build, but can't decide if the Pro is worth the extra money over the XTR III. It seems like "feature wise", all you really get is the adjustable zero stop. I believe on the XTR III you can only set it to zero, and not a half-mil past zero.

Anything else I'm missing? I know there are other scopes available in this price range, but I don't see one that matches up, AND has a locking diopter for reticle focus. The locking focus ring is a feature I want to have on this scope.

Thanks.

Not much in the XTR III price range competes with the XTR III. Some guys like the DMR3 or XRS3 Bushnells, but I have no experience with those, and therefore no worthwhile input.

Optically, the glass between my XTR Pro and III were very close. I think that the Pro had the edge some, but you're talking within a couple percentage points if I had to assign arbitrary values. Mechanically, my XTR III was just used yesterday...and my Pro is in for repairs- so there's that 😄. However I much prefer the magnification ring on my Pro. My III is a U. S. Made one, and it is far too stiff with overly aggressive knurling. Flexibility goes to the Pro for sure.

If you're capable of affording the Pro, check out the LRP S3, T6Xi, Tract, Mk5 HD, NX8 as well...each has its lovers and haters for various reasons, but you may find the feature set in one that fits you best.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I’ve owned both and still have an XTRIIIi 3.5-18 and Pro. I sold the higher power xtriii and got the pro. I like it better but not sure it’s hundreds of dollars better. They both have really good glass. I like them better than DMR 3, which tunnel and don’t have as good FOV.

Reactions: Earnhardt

Thanks.
I run a XTRIII 5.5-30 on my RimX for NRL22 and PRS22. Does great. I zero at 50 yards and - yes - the zero for me locks at "0" not past it. Occasionally we have a 30/35 yard target and I just hold slightly low. Never been an issue. I do not think you will regret a XTRIII for rimfire.

Deciding factor between the 2 should come down to:
Do you want tool less turrets as on the pro or if you are ok using an Allen to reset the turrets.

Do you want to easily be able to remove the elevation turret to swap between the all black or the whiteboard?

Those to me are the biggest differences performance wise to me. The glass on my pros are a noticeable improvement over the xtr3’s I have had or used. The improvement for me is better resolution and ability to cut through the mirage. It is not a night and day improvement but it is there.

And I could be wrong but I believe if you loosen the turret on the xtr3 and slightly raise it you should be able to go below 0 on the zero stop.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Deciding factor between the 2 should come down to:
Do you want tool less turrets as on the pro or if you are ok using an Allen to reset the turrets.

Do you want to easily be able to remove the elevation turret to swap between the all black or the whiteboard?

Those to me are the biggest differences performance wise to me. The glass on my pros are a noticeable improvement over the xtr3’s I have had or used. The improvement for me is better resolution and ability to cut through the mirage. It is not a night and day improvement but it is there.

And I could be wrong but I believe if you loosen the turret on the xtr3 and slightly raise it you should be able to go below 0 on the zero stop.
FYI - Burris sells a "white board" turret for the XTRIII - use allen wrench to swap.

Yes, I have the white board for my xtr3 as well but I prefer the black turrets unless I’m actually going to write on the whiteboard. The pro just makes it so easy to keep the white board in my match bag and swap it only when I need it.

Plus the pro has a larger turret

Yes, I have the white board for my xtr3 as well but I prefer the black turrets unless I’m actually going to write on the whiteboard. The pro just makes it so easy to keep the white board in my match bag and swap it only when I need it.

Plus the pro has a larger turret

^ Larger turrets with greater spacing between numbers is a plus as we get older. Yes, they make magnifiers, but I prefer not having to use one. I like the way Burris did their hash marks on the turrets for sure.

I do prefer the 12 mils on the Pro's turret as well.

Reactions: db2000
Not much in the XTR III price range competes with the XTR III. Some guys like the DMR3 or XRS3 Bushnells, but I have no experience with those, and therefore no worthwhile input.

Optically, the glass between my XTR Pro and III were very close. I think that the Pro had the edge some, but you're talking within a couple percentage points if I had to assign arbitrary values. Mechanically, my XTR III was just used yesterday...and my Pro is in for repairs- so there's that 😄. However I much prefer the magnification ring on my Pro. My III is a U. S. Made one, and it is far too stiff with overly aggressive knurling. Flexibility goes to the Pro for sure.

If you're capable of affording the Pro, check out the LRP S3, T6Xi, Tract, Mk5 HD, NX8 as well...each has its lovers and haters for various reasons, but you may find the feature set in one that fits you best.
Thanks, of the ones you mentioned, only the T6Xi and NX8 (and also the ATACR) have locking reticle, and focus down to at least 25 yds. I'd pass on the Steiner only because it's a Burris clone, and I've had such good luck with Burris over the years, if I'm going away from Burris, it would not be to Steiner. But, now I don't recall why I had previously crossed NightForce off my list of scopes for a PRS Rimfire platform???

It seems the ATACR vs NX8 is similar to the XTR Pro vs XTR III in that there is a serious price difference, but with the NightForce, it is easier to see what you get for the difference, more magnification, and a 56 vs 50mm objective among other things.

Just great, instead of narrowing my selection, I've doubled my choices.

Burris has a black XTR Pro going into production right now.

For me, the Pro has better clarity than the XTRIII, especially in mirage. And for comp use, the 12 mil turrets and removable turret with tooless zero and whiteboard Race Dial is huge. I honestly believe the Race Dial is a big time-saver, and it's simpler. You will get more shots off in time with it. I've used both extensively, I'm sold on the Race Dial. I have XTRIIIs with the Race Dial as well, but the bigger removable turret is much nicer.

Just look at all the people in PRS putting white tape on their turrets imitating the Burris. I've even heard Leupy has a write on turret on the drawing board. The GenI version didn't really get off the ground as their entire turret is too short and there's no room to write. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Burris is way ahead of the curve with this innovation.

Burris has a black XTR Pro going into production right now.

For me, the Pro has better clarity than the XTRIII, especially in mirage. And for comp use, the 12 mil turrets and removable turret with tooless zero and whiteboard Race Dial is huge. I honestly believe the Race Dial is a big time-saver, and it's simpler. You will get more shots off in time with it. I've used both extensively, I'm sold on the Race Dial. I have XTRIIIs with the Race Dial as well, but the bigger removable turret is much nicer.

Just look at all the people in PRS putting white tape on their turrets imitating the Burris. I've even heard Leupy has a write on turret on the drawing board. The GenI version didn't really get off the ground as their entire turret is too short and there's no room to write. Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Burris is way ahead of the curve with this innovation.
How does the Black XTR Pro differ from the regular XTR Pro?

Nevermind, I just saw your other post with a pic.
Thanks.