• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Burris Xtreme rings shifting under recoil

CTone03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2009
Virginia
fateoflegions.blogspot.com
Hello everyone. I had a quick question. What can I do about a scope shifting in the rings under recoil? The gun is a flattop DPMS LR-308 with a heavy barrel; the scope is a Horus Vision Hawk, and the rings are Burris Xtreme 30mm high.

The rear ring sits pretty close to the front of the ocular housing, about an eighth of an inch. After a few trips to the range, I can see where it has shifted ever so slightly until today when I noticed that the ocular bell was touching the ring. This has happened before, and the last time it did I readjusted the scope, then locktighted the ring screws and torqued them to 20 inch lbs with a FAT wrench. I think my groups are suffering as the scope moves about the thickness of a credit card with each range trip.

At this point, I don't trust the rings. Should I get new ones, or is there some sort of trick to getting them to stay in place? The rifle is pretty heavy, so I can't see why these rings can't withstand the recoil of the mighty 308 Winchester.

Thanks much!

Re: Burris Xtreme rings shifting under recoil

I would most likely get new rings....or a new scope, it could be the tube is less than 30mm.

However, I'd probably try this first just for kicks. Get some clear silicone, put a super thin layer on the rings (top and bottom) and I mean super thin, then tighten em down. A little will squish out, just clean it off, let dry a couple days and then go give it a try.

Report back.

I have a set of those on my .308 Rem. and have not had any problems. Could be a bad set of rings that are not completely wrapping around the scope, only a portion of the ring is holding the scope. You may need to lap the rings? Another thing you can try is put rosin (rosin pouch from a bowling lane) on your scope and rings, then torque to specs, this gives the rings something to grip too. I have used this method and never had a problem on my rifles or revolver with the scope moving, old timer told me this one. Also make sure the shaft that goes threw the rings are pulled tight in the slot towards the muzzle while on the rail, that will keep them from shifting.

Good Luck

I would clean and re-mount using the silicon.

Failing that, mic the scope tube. If it's 30mm then call Burris and see if you can get new rings before you start grinding on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost_Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also make sure the shaft that goes threw the rings are pulled back tight in the slot while on the rail, that will keep them from shifting.
</div></div>

The shaft (lug) on the rings should be pushed as far forward as possible in slot in the rail. In other words, push the ring towards the muzzle then snug it down on the rail (scope base).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost_Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also make sure the shaft that goes threw the rings are pulled back tight in the slot while on the rail, that will keep them from shifting.
</div></div>

The shaft (lug) on the rings should be pushed as far forward as possible in slot in the rail. In other words, push the ring towards the muzzle then snug it down on the rail (scope base). </div></div>

Sorry I worded that improperly and you are correct

Just went through this with the same rings on 6.5lbs. .300WSM. After messing with the several times, with no luck, I called Burris. After about 5 minutes of getting the details straight, they offered to send me a free pair of signature "Z" rings! So far these rings are holding well, only 35 rounds, but I just got it mounted on Friday. Great customer service, not real good rings though(the XTR anyway)!!!

I have a pair on my 50 Beowulf, have not had any issue rock solid, for now.

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I'll try all of the above; anything to save me from buying new rings. I know these are decent quality, so I thought I'd ask.

I've put about five hundred rounds through this thing so far, and this is the second time this has happened. I'll give an update after awhile.

Thanks again!

I got a pair of Burris Xtreme rings a few years back from Chris at SWFA.....I hand lapped them to a 10x SS and mounted them on a LTR. This rifle was student teaching mule and I have to say those rings held that scope perfectly for several thousand rounds and rifle drops and one pretty good roll down a rocky cliff. Never even put ring marks on the scope and never lost zero.

Maybe you have a bad set of rings or your scope isn't a true 30mm........I have heard about more problems with the scope you are using than with the rings you have. However trying other rings would be a cheaper way to start. I'd call Burris and tell them your problem.....maybe they would swap you for a new set?

Derek

It looks to me like it's the rings that are the problem. I could call Burris and see if they would exchange them, but I don't have a replacement set to use in the meantime. I'm thinking about buying a lapping bar and lapping these rings, which would probably void any exchange with Burris. I could use it in the future on other rifle projects either way.

For starters, I put a thin layer of black silicon on the rings last night and torqued the rings down to 20 inch lbs. It was pretty interesting as the scope wanted to slide around inside the rings until it was completely tight. I let it dry overnight, and then put it back in the safe because it will be a few days before I can shoot it again.

Here is a look at the scope tube when I removed one of the rings. You can see the ring wasn't making full contact with the tube:
104_6020.jpg

The silicon should fill in all the gaps and ensure that the scope is fully supported around the ring. I applied it very thin, and the excess squished out. I got that all off with q-tips. Once I shoot it again, I'll post to let y'all know if it worked or not.

Lap the rings. In addition to increasing surface area, it removes the slippery surface coating.

This solved a similar problem I had on a 7.5 lb 300WM.

John

I'd call Burris and tell them your story......email a rep your pic.........tell them you are thinking about lapping.....do they want to chip in for your lapping equip? Tell them you are a Hide member and serious shooter. Tell them if they won't take lapped rings in return that you have a match this weekend and would they overnight you out a new set and include a prepaid return shipping label for you to return your old ones. I don't shoot Burris scopes but for I have beat Burris rings to death and their tactical rings are nice.....they look good and personally I can't tell the diff between them and rings that cost more than double. Just my opinion. Also after you go through all of that.....it might be the scope. Derek

Gee........i really wanted to use the same rings (Burris XTREME) with my BLACK DIAMOND scope......not sure now.....

does anyone else use a layer of scotch tape on the inner surfaces of the rings? there is a guy that has a little shop here in my town and he does it to every scope/ring combo he sells. i have bought rings that had what looked like ribbon in the inside too. ive often wondered about the finish on the scopes contributing to the slippage. i have these rings myself and i get good contact. i cant imagine them letting the scope slip like that but the pics dont lie. try the silicone or rosin. these rings are huge, i just cant imagine them not having the surface area to grip.

Remember a gas gun recoils differantly then a bolt gun, back THEN forward, on the front ring push it all the way forward and on the rear ring push it all the way back, that's what I do on my ar-10.

Now that I've had this problem, I've heard of others using rosin, silicon, liquid electrical tape, real electrical tape, etc to keep scopes from shifting.

I used to have a Win M70 in 300WM that was feather light. The recoil was pretty nasty, but the crappy BSA Contender that I had on it never moved under the Leupold rings. Thinking about that though, the BSA had a very thin rubber like layer on it that probably provided some grip. I'm reasonably sure that the silicon will take care of the problem. If not, I'm gonna lap these rings.

This weekend I plan on firing some plinking rounds through it to see if it moves. It took less than 100 rounds last time to make it shift. Now I know why sometimes my groups are good, and then for no reason become bad.

Stay tuned. . .

Another update:

I finally got to shoot this rifle today. The snow in Virginia has hosed everything up, so outdoor time has been limited.

I'm convinced the silicon did the trick. I shot about fourty rounds today and I can't see that anything moved. I need to put the calipers on it if I can, and then see if it moved even a teensy bit after the next shoot, but I doubt it will.

Thanks for all y'alls help!

Am I crazy or should he try torquing to 30 inch pounds?

I have started bedding my rings along with bedding the bases takes some time but I know that I am getting good contact and getting ride of some of the stresses.

just noticed how old this post is man I need to go to bed.