• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Burris xtriii for hunting

mj23polaris

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2019
Has anyone used a xtriii for hunting? Getting a new rifle and on the search for a scope. I backpack hunt here in WY year round pretty much. I know there's lighter scopes but I've tried them. Like the razor lht 3-15 and I currently have a 4-16 credo. The razor was a whimp I was constantly re zeroing. The credo has done well until it let me down and was 2moa off this fall on a elk hunt.

I have vortex precision rings and I always clean, locktite and retorque my whole rifle before spring and fall seasons. So my scopes are not slipping in the rings from small bumps and riding in a Sxs or on a pack.

I like illumination, I like the mag range of 3-18, capped windage, I like a tree reticle "scr2" for the wind holds and make quick corrections if need be, I like ffp. The xtriii checks a lot of boxes I'm just wondering if it can take the bumps and hold a zero. I'm not abusing my scopes but if the gun tips over on the bipod I wanna know it's held zero.

Basically I'm trying to save a buck vs going NF nx8 or atacr haha. The price of the burris is appealing and I can used money saved for ammo, trigger, rings, base etc.

Reactions: xphunter
I can't comment on the ruggedness since I have yet to drop or knock over a rifle (knock on wood) - but the SCR2 is very thin - one of the reasons I like it so much in the 5.5-30 for target. However, in 3.3-18 it might be an issue hunting at low power. The new illuminated scope XTR3i made in Philippines instead of USA does have a thicker SCR2 than the earlier non-illuminated US made models (which I have). Another data point with the 3.3-18 is that it has been reported that the glass is not as good as in the 5.5-30. I only have the 5.5-30's, so can't confirm.

I used a xtriii 3.3-18 us model yesterday for hunting and killed a deer. Glass is clear to me. However I would recommend a second focal plane for hunting since the ffp reticle is small at low power.

I also have a xtriii illuminated 5.5-30 and the glass in both models is very nice.

Well I can confess to all the above. I've been using XTRIIIs for big game hunting here in the northwest since they came out.

I picked up the new illuminated version in the 30x for my 300 Norma mag and tromped it all over hill and dale chasing mulies, elk, and wolves last fall. I did a triple gainer off some rocks and dropped my rifle right on the scope. It hit the rocks on the illumination/parallax knob and busted the illumination cap. I found the cap, it was destroyed, no idea where the battery went.

I did have to re-zero, not at all surprised. It's a 12lb rifle and it hit those rocks hard. Zero had shifted .3 right. But after re-zero the scope is fine. XTRs are tough as nails.

I've seen a guy post that he felt his glass wasn't great past 15x on his 3-18, but its not something I've seen. Both of mine are bright and clear.

The Race Dial is the bomb for hunting. As is that big FOV and edge to edge glass sight picture. I can make a custom turret for any rifle or load with the Race Dial, range it, dial the yardage, and send it.

I can say without a hint of bias, based on my experiences that the illuminated XTRIII is an excellent hunting crossover optic.

Race Dial and post busted ass illumination cap pictured here 🤣

Last edited:
That's for the replies guys the reticle being small on low power is a concern. I looked through a nx8 the other day with a mil xt and with my eyes it seemed fine. The tree and side post drew my eye to the center.

I hunted with one this last fall. Mule deer, elk and bear out west. Overall, the scope seemed durable and well built. Glass was pleasant to look through. I did find the reticle too thin for a hunting rifle, so I have since replaced it.

The reticle will be to thin for low light hunting without illumination. It’s just the way it is for ffp scopes. I hunt with several NF atacr and Burris XTRII and when you dial them back in low light the reticle disappears. But this will be the case with almost all ffp scopes. My sightrons were the same way

If you get ffp for hunting. Get illuminated reticle

The xtr line has built a reputation on being tough. I’ve had a decent amount of Burris E1 and XTR scopes and that has always been my experience. I would hands down trust them over a vortex any day

Reactions: YotaEer
Used a 5.5-30x illuminated version for deer season and killed one with it at last light. Shot wouldn’t have been possible without illumination. However, same could be said for any FFP scope.

I like the XTR3 a lot and may get a pro someday. I just don’t like the floating cross. Floating dot is much better IMO

That's for the replies guys the reticle being small on low power is a concern. I looked through a nx8 the other day with a mil xt and with my eyes it seemed fine. The tree and side post drew my eye to the center.

If I'm reading the specs right, the Mil-XT reticle is .33 in thickness for the 25x and 35x ATACR, and .43 for the 16x ATACR. I don't see any specs for the NX8.

The illuminated XTRIII SCR-2 is .42

The non-illuminated XTRIII SCR-2 is .22.

Last edited:
I have one and plan to use it hunting, but haven’t gotten the opportunity yet. I think the reticle is useable at 3.3 power if you really need it. Illumination is not daylight bright too. If you want a scope that’ll hold zero, my 3-15 SWFA has been beat to piss and holds zero perfectly. Knocked the rifle over a couple times, bumped it into trees, and rolled over on it and never recall losing zero.

3.3x at 100 yards with illumination on 11

D687EAEB-5CDA-4392-A8AB-CB15CA892D36.jpeg

No XTRiii experience, but my first XTRii 4-20 survived a week long LE precision rifle course, a few deployments (LE usage, not military), and several hunting expeditions. Bang-for-buck, I’m very happy. It’s only ever had to have the zero adjusted when I was dialing in new ammunition.

I like my first one so much I put the same thing (except with the silver ring) on my Aero M5 (.308). If I find another need for an optic, it’ll be another XTRii (unless I happen upon an incredible deal on something else.

First one on a Remington 700 PSS:

01D0131F-A004-443F-BF43-36FFCB40EAA5.jpeg

3A6CBAD2-3ED4-4BB4-967D-EFBE01D5E73B.png

The newer style on the Aero M5:

C3113CB1-4FF0-431D-AD6C-F23B6270C5C4.jpeg

71133799-9C0E-4353-9232-B5482EADF26E.jpeg

Reactions: mj23polaris
I used the 3.3-18 illuminated version this past year to kill a mule deer. The reticle is definitely on the thinner side, but it wasn’t a problem, and the scope performed when it counted. The glass is also excellent in mine.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I've got two of the 3.3-18's without the illumination, and I love them. I've had one on my 22" 6mm arc ar15 now for over a year. I hunt coyotes year round, and typically a couple days a week, and I've killed coyotes at dusk and dawn, no problem. The 35mm tube lets in copious amounts of light. I don't think the reticle thickness is an issue, at least it's never been a issue for me. I've had a couple NX8 scopes, and I think the xtrIII is superior in every way for the hunting I do, especially the eyebox and the light gathering ability. I have a half dozen of the xtrII scopes as well. I just don't think you can go wrong with them for the money, especially since you can buy two of them for the price of one NX8.

I have a 3.3-18x50 model. Glass is good, but my first one failed on top an 8# 300 norma improved. The replacement has a elevation turret that's not near the quality the original was.

Has anyone used a xtriii for hunting? Getting a new rifle and on the search for a scope. I backpack hunt here in WY year round pretty much. I know there's lighter scopes but I've tried them. Like the razor lht 3-15 and I currently have a 4-16 credo. The razor was a whimp I was constantly re zeroing. The credo has done well until it let me down and was 2moa off this fall on a elk hunt.

I have vortex precision rings and I always clean, locktite and retorque my whole rifle before spring and fall seasons. So my scopes are not slipping in the rings from small bumps and riding in a Sxs or on a pack.

I like illumination, I like the mag range of 3-18, capped windage, I like a tree reticle "scr2" for the wind holds and make quick corrections if need be, I like ffp. The xtriii checks a lot of boxes I'm just wondering if it can take the bumps and hold a zero. I'm not abusing my scopes but if the gun tips over on the bipod I wanna know it's held zero.

Basically I'm trying to save a buck vs going NF nx8 or atacr haha. The price of the burris is appealing and I can used money saved for ammo, trigger, rings, base etc.

Yes, I use the 3.3-18 XTR-III for hunting. Reliable, good glass, good reticle, good turrets.
I have the 5.5-30 too, but I prefer the 3.3-18 for a do everything scope (including hunting) over the 5.5-30.

It’s a great hunting scope and the reticle in mine is daylight bright also.

Buy one and go kill stuff!

My 5.5-30 version has suffered some abuse on PRS barricades with nary a zero shift.

I have an xtr iii made in Greely and the xtr pro. Both are 5.5-30x. My wife was backpacking with 15# gun and had the strap come loose. The gun with the xtriii fell on its side while she was standing. Took it home and shot a 1/2 moa group on 6" steel at 450 yards. I was worried, but nothing moved.

Also have an old 8 mil/rev xtr2 that has been rock solid.

I thought the reticle would be WAY TOO SMALL to hunt with, but it has been fine. Even in low light. In full disclosure, I have 20/10 vision after Lasix, but my wife is worse than 20/20 in her right eye and has stated that she sees the reticle just fine.