• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Bush/Field/Obituary 6-8”

JLTX

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
North Texas
Good evening, I would love some real world guidance in terms of recs for a 6-8” fixed blade that is multi-purpose (Bush/field/cemetery).

I am stocked under 6.5” with ESEE, Winkler, Hinderer and Fallkniven. Essentially looking for a pretty bitch that can perform as a bushcraft, fieldcraft and cemetery knife. Knowing this may not be possible, I would greatly appreciate your recs on each of the individual needs.

Thank you!

I’ve never heard the term “cemetery knife”. What doth thou mean?

Martial purposes?

Its all in how much you wanna spend.

Seems you have several nice choices.

I never need a big knife. Not sure why you do?

Just saw a nice Randall Smithsonian Bowie on CL in Denver. That would be an old school bush knife and plenty of blade.....

Reactions: JLTX
Having purchased one 1/4" thick blade tactical knife in my life (blade is about 7"), I'll say that its general uses outside of bludgeoning kindling are somewhat limited. I'm sure it would make a dandy stab wound, but even then the ability to slash flesh of any kind deeply seems lacking. The grind angles on blades that thick just don't lend to making a great cutter. Therefore I'd lean more towards the side of getting a good bushcraft knife. Chances are you'll be using it way more for that anyway.

If my arm were twisted until I made a decision on a do-all knife for your criteria though I'd go old school with something like a Ka-Bar I guess. I think its still just about the perfect compromise for everything field/combat/steel quality related and a good deal for what they cost. Serms to me though that you may already have something better.

I will never crap on a great (expensive) knife. I know that you are getting what you pay for in regards to hours of labor put into them. I'm sure there are some guys out there who list for this that will have great option or two for you.

I appreciate all of your well thought out guidance. Knives are personal and it seems no two people have the same preferences for their individual uses. Went over to a neighbor’s house and he showed me his INFI Ratmaandu (Swamp Rat Custom shop) and Spartan Harsey Difensa. Both were incredibly well crafted, enormous attention to detail, balanced and fit like a glove in my hand. Ordered the Difensa (Black/Black/S45VN) from DLT. It met a need/gap (size/steel/optionality) that I preferred for this search. The Swamp Rat was beautiful and felt great in my hand, but I already had the size/style covered. I did add Swamp Rat/Busse to my daily feed from Arizona Custom Knives just in case! Take care everyone and enjoy your weekends!

After a career with Uncle Sugar, my experience has taught me that a Big pig sticker of a knife has little utility for me. A multi tool was what i used the most. opening rations...cutting cord....pliers/wire cutter to cut banding straps....scissors to cut stuff.

When I was a no nothing Dumb ass E nothing, I bought a big "Rambo" knife at the PX. I promptly lost it in the deserts of Ft Irwin during my first NTC rotation.

You live in the field enough...You're going to lose a knife... make sure it's not a custom $500 one... I still have the same original Leatherman Wave I bought in the PX. Just my $.02, worth what you paid

All that Said, now that I just like to roam out in the woods, I purchased a LTWright Bushcrafter knife. American made of good solid materials with a 3.5" blade. Should be a good GP all around knife.