• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bushing a boltface

alibi

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
MI, USA
Has anyone ever heard of a 223 sized bolt for a long action 700. I'm thinking about putting together 1 rifle with multiple barrels and bolts for hunting, from 17 rem to 338 Lapua on a long action. I've never seen anything like this, looking for ideas.

Last edited:
It could be done. PT&G has a long action .223 bolt face. I would prefer bolt swapping over bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would work. I was kinda hoping to use 3 different .473 factory bolts. Leave one alone, have one opened up and a m16 type extractor fitted, and the third bushed down somehow.

Alibi,
On a damaged 722 308 bolt, bored the inside of the nose straight and shrunk in a bushing then cut the extractor groove. The old 222 sized extractors were kept from turning with a stepped ejector pin. Have had no problems with the conversion on my live varmint 22-04 rig. These extractors are long gone so don't know about machining the relief for the current style. Dale

^ now that's some ingenuity. Were you able to retain use of the ejector?

Alibi,
Yes the factory ejector pin hole is the same on both bolt faces,on the 222 size about 1/3 of the hole is in the outer ring. You could also use the riveted extractor available from Brownells. Dale