• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushings for dies?

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
I just picked up a FL 338 lapua die set from Redding. Am I going to need bushings? My set did not come with any bushings. I'm new to reloading so please bear with me. Is there a certain bushing I should be using for the .338 lapua? Kind of confused about the bushing part. Thanks

Re: Bushings for dies?

Are they Type S dies? Those and the Competition die sets require bushings. The easiest way is to measure a loaded round and subtract .002-.003" from that measurement to determine your probable bushing size.

I'll be using Lapua brass and yes its the type s full length body die with the competion seating die. Would I be measuring OAL of the loaded round?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nut up and get the Ti bushings, they are worth it.</div></div>
BAHAHA !!!! i am rolling.. but yes get the ti bushings.... hahahaha

Make sure you take the brass you plan to use..sounds like lapua....load a "dummy round" than measure the outside diameter....than subtract .002; .004; .006 and order these (3) bushings....that way you can try a couple different neck tension, and you don't pay a ton in shipping. I bought 4 different sizes before I found the one that worked the best for my Winchester brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nut up and get the Ti bushings, they are worth it.</div></div>
BAHAHA !!!! i am rolling.. but yes get the ti bushings.... hahahaha</div></div>

What they said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be using Lapua brass and yes its the type s full length body die with the competion seating die. Would I be measuring OAL of the loaded round? </div></div>

I'll save you the trouble...get the .365" TiNi bushing and if you have a desire for a bit more neck tension with Lapua brand brass (or Norma for that matter) get the .364" TiNi bushing.

99.9% of the time, I use the .365" bushing with those two brands of brass.

Chris