• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushmaster ACR

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
I am stongly concidering trading either my Colt or M&P Ar-15 for an ACR. Anyone have any thoughts on this gun? From everything I've read and heard it seems to be a nice AR evolution.

Re: Bushmaster ACR

I'd spend a little more money and get a SCAR 16. It's lighter, more accurate, and has better factory sights. I personally think it's a better built gun overall too. I have had both and stuck with the FN for all of the reason above.

The SCAR 16 is the better gun.
The ACR is a love-it-or-hate-it gun. It's not a terrible rifle, but it's a shadow of what it was supposed to be when it was still the Masada rifle. Until Shrubmaster gets in gear and offers the weapon with the barrels it was supposed to, as well as for the cost that it should have been, I don't think it's as good of a purchase as competing options like the SCAR.

I have posted this same comment before on the ACR and I stand by it still today...it was an excellent concept when it was originated by the geniuses at Magpul, but once Bushmaster got through with it, it was just over-priced, overrated, underfeatured white noise among a host of better products in the same (or lower) price range!

I have had a chance to put rounds through a couple and while I think that they are decent rifles...for the same or less money, I would buy a lot of other things before the ACR and I'd end up with more for my money (that includes the SCAR 16 which is a damn nice rifle if you are so inclined).

I haven't shot either, but I've handled both the ACR and the SCAR. The SCAR seems much nicer overall and has a better balance. The ACR seems front heavy for a 5.56 carbine.

Recently bought an enhanced model ACR, not all that impressed with it. Ran a scar 16 quite a bit over the past year or so and was happier with it overall. I really liked the foward charging handle on the acr though, just not sure if it will hold up w/time and use.
Got rid of both, decided I'm just to used to running an AR, got one all setup w/adams arms push-rod ("piston") kit and am pretty dang pleased with it so far.

ACR-

Ambi bolt release and the locations of the bolt/mag releases (very quick!)
Foward charging handle, very handy, great location ... just skeptical if it will hold up
Shoots nice, easy follow ups, straight back recoil (quick recoil though)
Runs clean
Runs dry (I think the bgc is all melonite coated, really slick)

Dislikes:
Plastic folding stock latch, can't see it lasting
Cheek piece a little too short (face hits rear edge)
Mag release buttons are like hair-triggers, drops mag way too easy
Non changeable grip (sure you can buy a new lower if needed, but)
Safety just kinda bobbles in place, opposite side lever is too big, seems like it'd break easy if hit
The whole plactic lower setup in general, just can't see it lasting years and years (swear by Glocks though, so I'm not really anti plastic)
Really front heavy, ...w/can would be really bad
When you rotate the rifle, the barrel lever moves resulting in a tink noise (safety wire fix I guess).
Not to sure about the barrel removal deal, accuracy? repeatable?
Be nice if the enhanced fore end was as long as the standard and had less diameter, pretty huge with even low prof rail covers.
If the grip insert would go mia, there is nothing to stop dirt/sand/gravel from going into the trigger/safety

Looks like you might have found your answer... Take a look at the Robinson XCR, its something different and affordable. Though I do love my SCAR 16 also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bryanZ06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot either, but I've handled both the ACR and the SCAR. The SCAR seems much nicer overall and has a better balance. The ACR seems front heavy for a 5.56 carbine. </div></div>

+1 for front heavy! Especially if you get the enhanced version!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you might have found your answer... Take a look at the Robinson XCR, its something different and affordable. Though I do love my SCAR 16 also. </div></div>

+1 for the XCR! A great rifle for a great price!

These may help. From MAC.

ACR/SCAR pt1
ACR/SCAR pt 2
ACR/SCAR pt 3
ACR/SCAR pt 4

I finally had the chance to shoot both last weekend. Here are my impressions.

ACR
Awesome concept with the caliber changes, ETC, but if you watch the ACR/BM shot show video from 08 they say the conversions and barrels will be out later that year. Fast forward shot 10 They said mid 2010 for conversions and barrels, Fast forward to 2011 same story so I would not hold my breath.

The SCAR/ACR weigh the exact same with their barrels assemblies removed 5.2 lbs. but when assembled the ACR is about 1.2 lbs heavier than the scar.

The ACR is extremely nose heavy, this leads to the perception that it is heavier than it is. (Compared my AR with goodies that comes in about 3/4lb heavier than the ACR but its balanced perfect the guys at the range all thought the ACR was heavier even though it was lighter due to the poor CG. If BM ever comes out with a LW barrel it should correct this issue. Also its 1/9 m4 profiled

The safety selector rotates like an AR and if your a righty chances are its going to dig into your hand. Does on me. Some people have dremmeled the shit out of it, to make it work. Poor design.

Bolt catch and release are located similarly to an AR with a BAD lever. Excellent unless your used to the old smack the release with your off hand.

The stock is very nice allot nicer than the SCAR, but does not lock to side it is held in place by friction and a spring tension.

The 51t muzzle device works well but its not as nice as the PWS-556 on the SCAR so there is slightly more recoil, Swap brakes it would be a mute point.

The non reciprocating/forward assist charging handle is in a great spot and works well and had no issues with any skin hitting mounts ets.

Takes unmodified Pmags

Can change out stocks, and hand guards

Uses a basic AR trigger pack, Barrel,

It is still shooting the 5.56 so its not some miracle gun don't expect it to be a miracle gun or you will be disappointed.

SCAR

It is stupid light and balances perfect out the box.

Safety selectors rotate about 45* to engage very easy to manipulate, and the ambi swith is a hair smaller so no rubbing.

Bolt catch is just like an AR on the side,

Stock feels cheap and brittle and some have broken during shipments, but when using it comfortable etc. Locks in the folded position with a detent. Tango down is MFG an aluminum parts for the brittle plastic ones.

2 There are a few after market rail extensions that are available if you find the rail too short.

3.Like BM shorter Barrels are supposed to be available but they are not currently and they are proprietary to FN (importation issues i have been told) The Scar runs 1/7 pencil thin barrel

4. The gun shoots like a .22 with the PWS brake it really barely kicks. Would like to shoot the ACR with the brake to see if that is the real difference in Recoil.

5. Need to modify pmags to fit in the scar minor but tedious.

6. CH reciprocates. I don't care that it reciprocates as my hands are out of the way, but when charging the SCAR I have really torn my knuckles up on the eotech sitting on the rail. but that is me.

There are no spare parts available for either gone, but I would suspect since the ACR is made in the USA you should be able to obtain them easier due to the 922R and importation laws.

So my opinion as the platforms are today. The Scar wins, IF you see caliber conversion kits, barrels from BM then the ACR will be up there or passing the SCAR.

SCARs can be found for about 2300.00 and the Enhanced for about 1800.00-1900.00.

Like I said I don't own either but had a chance to shoot them side by side for a couple of hundred rounds.

Crap
my tacticool side wants it soo bad. why, why lord? did I pick the thing up and touch it?

2500 or so buys a really sweet and very accurate AR15, what is the use of this rifle? if any type of precision work is needed I would look at building you a AR15 the way you want it. Having fondled both I do prefer the scar to the acr.

I have to agree with USACS and ORD. When Magpul had it before Bushmaster bought the rights, I was on board waiting to get one. When Bushmaster got their hands on it and started cutting production cost, such as cheaper barrels, I passed. I love the idea, but for what Bushmaster and Remington is charging, I will build my own. It is not rocket science to build a reliable sub MOA AR-15 with a better trigger !

I'd buy an enhanced ACR for 1800-1900, but can't find anyone selling them that cheap. I've seen a couple used sell for that on here, but the cheapest I can find a new enhanced is $2050