• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bushmaster- Your Thoughts

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I am considering buying a Bushy. Who owns one and what are your experiences? Also, what about their customer service.

Thanks for your responses.

David

Re: Bushmaster- Your Thoughts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering buying a Bushy. Who owns one and what are your experiences? Also, what about their customer service.

David </div></div>

No reason to buy when when you can have a vastly superior BCM or LMT for a comparable price. My 2 cents

I know nothing about Bushmaster customer service, but the rifle quality is reasonably good.

The guns are reliable. The barrel threads on my 16" Bushmaster (only one I have) aren't that hot [eccentric]. But I once owned an M4 from them and it ran like a top.

Used to have a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine...never had any issues with it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I have a Bushmaster which has now been bastardized, but in it's factory configuration I put thousands of rounds through w/o issue. If I found a good deal on one, I'd buy again. I did hear about chambering issues with one of their varmint models though, but have no hands-on experience. My service rifle was GTG.

like them. had a brand new mag catch go tits first day once but the place i bought it from replaced free without question so maybe customer service is good enuf they didnt even think about it?

The biggest problem I've heard of with BM is improperly staked gas keys on the BCG. This will result in leaking gas between the gas key and BCG, your bolt not cycling properly and picking up the next round. I have had this problem with my BM Patrol Carbine. Otherwise, it has run fine. Another problem I've read about but not experienced is canted front sights. I don't like the 1:9 twist. I wish it had a 1:7 twist which is needed for the heavier bullets (77gr). If I was to buy it again, I'd look for a BCM upper in a similar configuration instead of a BM, but it has otherwise not been bad.

They are middle of the road on rifles. I have had several. Real poor service. But that was before Rem. Bought them out. They do make nice barrels. I have one of there 1/7 M4 barrels on one of my rifles. Chrome lined. Good deal for the money. If the price is right I would go for it. But BCM or Colt Or LMT make better rifles. And have better service.

I bought one about 5 years ago and have put thousands of rounds through it without significant issues. It has been my primary 3 gun for the past 3 years and I have run it hard in two high round count classes. The only modifcations that I have done to it have been a trigger job, Michlek comp, and free floated hand guards. The level of accuracy has been pretty good but not match grade.

However, the bolt was badly machined (gouges on the interior of the bolt carrier body) but that hasn't effected performance at all.

I have never had to experince the customer service so I have no comment on that front.

Good luck.

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what caliber you looking at bro?
.308 or .223? </div></div>

I think I am going with the .223, brother Rick.

then again, my experiences are dated by at least 11 years and now i see walmart carries them....so they must be good right?

I had a Bushmaster DCM rifle and it was quite nice. Was able to easily hit 10" targets at 400-500 yards with it using iron sights only.

I have seen some bad Bushy stuff, but it's their MUCH older stuff. Like the plastic AR-15, their bullpup, the Bushmaster Assault Rifle, and some older AR-15s where the anodizing looks like dark purple instead of black.

Their current stuff seems to be slightly above average.

I would look elsewhere as there are excellent rifles in same price range from BCM, DD, LMT, Colt.

As mentioned before, Bushy is know for problems with BCG (gas keys, bolts) out of spec chambers (their 5.56 chambers are almost always out of spec) and bad service.

Too many other great options out there to mess with bushmaster. If you own one and its working or you made some small upgrades/fixes, stick with it as will probably keep on working.

The issue I have with Bushmaster is the assembly of the rifles. I had one the other day that for some damn reason Bushmaster had used high temp lock tite on castle nut. After further investigation this is normal practice for Bushmaster and people have cracked receivers due to this issue. But hell there is no reason to use that method of assembly and it is causing damage.

Outside assembly I think Bushmaster makes an acceptable firearm. But for the money I'd rather build my own.

I own an O.R.C. in 5.56 and love it. Changing a lot of stuff out on it because my preferences have changed. Originally wanted a K.I.S. rifle and now upgrading because I can(and the wife wont let me get another rifle since my last one was an AI AW). I would buy a Bushy again as I have never had issues with mine. They aren't that bad any more, I think a lot of people dont realize that just because it's a big company doesn't mean poor quality.

I have 2 of them (both 16" )I've had one since 2000 and never had 1 malfunction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering buying a Bushy. Who owns one and what are your experiences? Also, what about their customer service.

David </div></div>

No reason to buy when when you can have a vastly superior BCM or LMT for a comparable price. My 2 cents </div></div>

^^^ X2; BCM would be my choice (actually <span style="font-style: italic">has</span> been my choice more than once...) as I've heard mixed reviews of LMT's quality control.

I have a Bushmaster "Dissipator" bought it new about 5 years ago. It was my first AR15, it is stock, and has had several thousand rounds put through it. No problems what so ever, but I have moved on to a better platform since then...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am considering buying a Bushy. Who owns one and what are your experiences? Also, what about their customer service.

David </div></div>

No reason to buy when when you can have a vastly superior BCM or LMT for a comparable price. My 2 cents </div></div>

^^^ X2; BCM would be my choice (actually <span style="font-style: italic">has</span> been my choice more than once...) as I've heard mixed reviews of LMT's quality control. </div></div>

If it helps I've owned 10 different LMT's, still own 2 and have never had an issue with any of them. They are my go to guns.

I've never had a bad experience with bushmaster personally. My friends own them and they function every time. But after reading a lot of complaints I decided to spend a little more money and get a Daniel Defense upper and put together a lower to go with it. And I'm very happy with my choice.

I have one Bushmaster that took some work to get running. Whoever put the barrel on at the factory was having a bad day. Once I found out the barrels torque way outta spec I simply pulled the barrel and set the barrel torque to 35-40ft#'s. Runs like a champ now. Although there were other internal parts that were replaced as well.

Personally if I were to buy instead of build one it would be a BCM.

I have 2, my buddy has... several. Neither of us have ever had a minute's trouble out of one, this includes SBR and select fire stuff. They have run everything from SS109 to Wolf without a hiccup, and are not the least bit finicky about cleanliness. One can pay less and get less, but I fail to see how one can spend more and get very much more...

I run 2 uppers,a 14.5 w/ perm. and an A2 Dissaptor on Colt lowers. Never a hiccup. I don't shoot 1000's of rds or abuse them since I live in f#*k,n Kalifornia

I have at least 10k rds through my bushy carbine and have never had any problems. So far I've only changed out the factory gas tube once and that rifle eats anything (no problem with cheap russian steel). I've been giving my BCM a little more attention lately because I prefer the midlength gas over carbine, but I've never has any issues with bushmaster. I can't comment on their customer service because I haven't needed it yet.

I bought the patrolmans carbine when I got hired because we are allowed to carry personal rifles on duty. I carried it on duty with patrol and with the TACT team for 5 years and never hand any issues the rifle ran perfectly. our dept. runs 62 grain bonded bullets and it shoots them and the 55 grain green tips as well as any stock iron sighted rifle ive ever carried. I know that there are better choices out there now like LMT, model 1, larue. but i think for the price you cant beat it.