• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 1-6.5x24???

Slu54

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi all, I'm interested in this scope, particularly the FFP version with the BTR-2 reticle. I don't know if anyone has experience, but my primary concerns are

1.) Is the illumination bright enough for Aimpoint-like use at 1x?

2.) Is the illumination clear or does it cloud? Does the illumination bleed through the objective? I wouldn't expect the latter two on a product at this price point, but I know at least the last one has been historically a Bushnell problem.

Not only am I interested in comparing this scope against similarly priced 1-6s, but I'm also wondering if the illumination is good enough for the FFP to work.

Thanks.

Re: Bushnell 1-6.5x24???

Pretty good video review here:

Bushnell SMRS video review

I have the SFP BTR-2. From what I have seen and heard from those with the FFP version is that it is VERY small at 1X. Illumination is very good, in very bright conditions the illumination can still be seen on max brighness, but it appears brownish instead of bright red. It depends on the color of the object you are looking at really. For me, the illumination is very useable in daylight, and the reticle is easy to pick up quickly. No bleed through that I have noticed.
I dont need FFP, because if I am shooting at 200 or farther I will be using max power anyway. Just my 2 cents, but it is a very nice optic.

Thanks for the reply. I've also seen that review, but I was looking for more info on the FFP.

I agree with you, and I'm thinking the exact same thing: I know that I will probably only be flipping between 1x and 6.5x instead of using any of the in between magnifications, in which case SFP would be fine.

On the other hand I just feel like I am getting less capability if I choose SFP over FFP, but you've got me leaning towards the SFP.

Have you seen the FFP in person? If so, can the reticle be used as an Aimpoint-style dot at 1x? Ideally, either the detailed reticle is usable, or the entire reticle is so small that it can serve as a fine aiming dot. I can only go off this picture from opticsthoughts:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/BigJimFish/Picture008.jpg

It looks fine to me, but would still like some first hand opinions.

I have not seen the FFP in person, but I have seen reticle pictures at 1x. I dont like the tiny reticle at 1x.

There is also a 7 page thread on it over on the Enos Forum:

Link

It pretty much looks like a dot at 1x, but some have said that the illumination module does not work as well on the FFP models due to its small size. Maybe somebody that actually has the FFP model will chime in.

I have the BTR-2 in SPF, and like it. Reticle is easy to pick up and not so large that it causes any issues. I have shot it in several 3 gun matches and have not been disapointed. The ilimination is not as bright as an Aimpoint or Meopta or even the Burris Tac 30. However, it is still usalbe and stands out on dark targets. I do not use the mil tree unless I am shooting past 300 yards with the zero I use so what ever power I am on is ok. If shooting past that I will be at max power on what ever scope I am using 4x, 6 or 6.5 so then the tree is accurate.

I've seen the FFP in person and it is nowhere near aimpoint bright. Seems pretty well built for a bushnell though and if the illumination was better I would probably take it over the swaro.

I purchased this scope and wound up returning it. The reticle is very tiny at 1x and when the illumination is turned up I saw a lot of bleed through. I may have gotten a bad scope though.

You really shouldn't see much reticle at 1x, it's a dot. IMHO, I will use mine as a dot or at 6.5 with reticle. You can take the nobs off and dial in mil's. It seems very fragile and I wouldn't recommend it, but you can. Im thinking of putting one on a 338 win mag hunting gun for heavy brush situations, or eastern US hunting where 300 is a long shot.

I have a 300 win mag with NF, so I'm thinking this wood stock win model 70 would enjoy this scope.

I currently have one on a 14.5 AR I DIG IT.

I shot with one for a limited time and absolutely could not stand it. At 1x the dot bleeds so bad you cant pick up where the reticle is and where it isn't. At 6.5 the reticle is fine, but the lack of any information with the scope made it a pain in the ass to decipher. For the money they are asking I will stick with a NF 1-4 or new Vortex 1-6

Thanks for the replies. Seems like a lot of contrasting opinions.

Those who report reticle bleeding (Deadly0311, Bullitt2075) were both on the FFP?

I'm firmly on SFP if I get this. The main attraction is that it is 1 to 3 hundred dollars cheaper than the Razor and the NF.

those of you that actually own(or have used it) any of these 4 bushnell 1-6.5x24 scopes,..does it have any amount of barrelling at 1x?,..if so,how much?

for reference,some people call barrelling simply as fisheye or distortion or barrel distortion.

pictures are worthless when it comes to this,you must have the scope in front of you to tell,and even then it's most evident when you pan from side to side.

i really want to know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Have you considered the SWFA 1-6? $1000
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

Review:
http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3287137&page=1 </div></div>

Most definitely. I think it has the superior FFP reticle and all reviews indicate it is a great optic. My only reason for not choosing the SS is I think it looks fugly.