• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bushnell 1mile conx problem

sutter

Registered from Belgium
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2018
Belgium
Hi ,

I got a bushnell 1mile conx but i have some issues regarding setting up the device.

I use the GUN 1 setting and entered the values:

_____________distance_______holdover.
sight in:--------30----------------------0 MIL
point 1:--------60-------------------2.0
point 2:--------90-------------------4.0
point 3:-------120------------------8.0

So far all goes well but when i use the laser range finder the mill holdover values are incorrect…

example : range 33m
angle -3°
holdover 101,6 mil

range 83,3m
angle 13°
holdover 341,3 mil

Is there something i'm missing? I know the ballistic curve is not a normal one but for the rangefinder it's just a mathematical calculation right?

Thanks in advance,

sutter

Hi ,

I got a bushnell 1mile conx but i have some issues regarding setting up the device.

I use the GUN 1 setting and entered the values:

_____________distance_______holdover.
sight in:--------30----------------------0 MIL
point 1:--------60-------------------2.0
point 2:--------90-------------------4.0
point 3:-------120------------------8.0

So far all goes well but when i use the laser range finder the mill holdover values are incorrect…

example : range 33m
angle -3°
holdover 101,6 mil

range 83,3m
angle 13°
holdover 341,3 mil

Is there something i'm missing? I know the ballistic curve is not a normal one but for the rangefinder it's just a mathematical calculation right?

Thanks in advance,

sutter
Do you have the Bushnell app? Can you post a screenshot of the setup?

some screenshots from the app:

IMG_5918.PNG
IMG_5922.PNG

IMG_5919.PNG
IMG_5920.PNG

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5918.PNG
    IMG_5918.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
What is that angle and what does it mean?
Why use two angular measurements on one screen?
Maybe a good read of the manual for this thing is needed?

Your sight in is at 30 and your first drop is at 60 and you are coming up 2 full mills ? Unless you have a muzzle velocity of 500 FPS I think you should have 0.2 mill hold over.

I'm just guessing but it seems you are entering drop incorrectly. Your holdover values are being entered in MILs.

1 MIL = 3.6 inches at 100 yards. Your point 1 is 2 mils @ 60 yards. This means that your bullet would drop 4.4" at 60 yards when it is zeroed at 30 yards. Your next point is 4 mils at 90 yards which is about a 13" drop.

A 6.5 SAUM doesn't drop like that. I would reshoot those distances and measure using calipers.

I think your problem will go away

Your device setup is totally wrong based on the displays you are showing.
Go back and reread the manual and spend a very good deal of time studying it until you know what you are doing.
You are also going to have to calibrate the instrument to your actual drop data and muzzle velocity to get anywhere close.
The angles you are measuring are huge? Are you up on the 6th floor of a building and targeting stuff on the ground? Are you, perhaps, hand holding this thing and not paying attention to angle when you make a measurement?
Range finders require a learning curve and even 1 degree of angle can effect trajectory calculations. I'm seeing 13 degree angle which would place you over the berm at 100 yards on relatively level ground. No wonder the drops are so far.

Hi,

First of all ,thank you all for the reply's.

I know that the ballistic curve does not match the one from a firearm. (as stated in my first post)

It is used in combination with a high powered big bore pcp gun ,so the ballistic trajectory is way different.

The 13° angle from my example is measured ground to tree.

About reading the manual : it says that if you use a different ballistic trajectory other then the standard ones ,you have to use setting "custom 1"

And that's it. i've red it a couple of times...

The main thing i'm confused about is when i zero it at 30 yards and you measure 36 yards it gives you 190,7 mil holdover?? especially when my point 1 is set at 60 yards - 2 mil..

greetings,

Pieter

I'm unsure what to tell you.
You might try setting a full trajectory in there. Let's say your max range is 100 yards. Shoot and plot impacts every 10 yards from say 10 to 100, shouldn't take too long. Now input that data as your custom trajectory.
There is a possibility that this instrument is not capable of dealing with the super short ranges you are working with and it is incapable of handling the velocities and drag coefficients that your gun is producing.
It almost seems as if it thinks you are hand throwing golf balls or fishing weights.

I wonder if it has to do with your decimal separator when setting your holdover.

Maybe try changing it like this:
2.0->2,0
4.0->4,0
8.0->8,0

Scratch that idea. Curiosity got to me and there isn’t an option on mine to do a comma instead of a decimal.

Looks like the calculator may do some weird things with only 3 data points. Try adding a 4th and 5th data point if you have them.

Last edited:
Hi,

First of all ,thank you all for the reply's.

I know that the ballistic curve does not match the one from a firearm. (as stated in my first post)

It is used in combination with a high powered big bore pcp gun ,so the ballistic trajectory is way different.

The 13° angle from my example is measured ground to tree.

About reading the manual : it says that if you use a different ballistic trajectory other then the standard ones ,you have to use setting "custom 1"

And that's it. i've red it a couple of times...

The main thing i'm confused about is when i zero it at 30 yards and you measure 36 yards it gives you 190,7 mil holdover?? especially when my point 1 is set at 60 yards - 2 mil..

greetings,

Pieter

I didn't realize you were shooting an air rifle. One idea that you may want to consider is to go to the JBM ballistics website and use the free SW to generate a range card based on the pellet that you are using. You can play with MV and see what it tells you against what you are measuring in the field. That may put you on the right track

One thing I just thought of, doesn’t the input in those profiles want your drop in inches not mils? I seem to remember that. I’m about 2000 miles from my conx so I can’t verify.

I never use mine for that but I know it will display in either MILS, MOA or inches. Not sure what the input units need to be

It appears to be user choice. Notice the screen shots for the input, the first input is "0 mil" and mil is selected at the bottom.

You know, just wondering, why you would choose a 1 mile rangefinder for a 100 yard application?
I suppose it can be made to work but I would consider trying it with a known rifle say in 308 and get familiar with how the software works first.
The rifle input should encompass things like sight height over bore and angle of shooting, maybe things like twist rate and the like.
The bullet input needs to be for BC and muzzle velocity.
The suggestion for getting the inputs right using JBM is a good one. That software is very versatile and adjustable for many factors. This ConX doesn't seem very forgiving.
But then we have ID-10-T to consider. Also GIGO.