• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 3200 10x40 tactical...good for the money?

rweldon

Sergeant
Minuteman
I just bought a Savage F/TR in 308, while I am saving coin for a Nightforce, I want to start shooting it up to 250 yards. I can get a Bushnell 3200 10x40 tactical w/ mil dot reticle and 30mm main tube for 150 plus shipping. Is it a decent scope for the money? Any limitations to it? thanks

That sounds like a real good deal to me. However, you might want to check that tube diameter. The one I have and all those I have seen advertised are 1 inch tubes. I am planning on running mine on a 6.5x55 out to 1200 yards.

I've had one for a couple years. For $150 it is a decent scope. The glass isn't great, the turrets aren't great, parallax is fixed, etc. But as a placeholder while you save for a nice scope, it should work. I wouldn't spend much more than $150 though, get a little higher and the $299 SS (often available used for less) is a better option.

The tube is 1" diameter.

I have one on my .308 now and I'm using it until I can upgrade to some better glass. I've been able to hit out to 1300 yards (24" steel) with it. Last time I went shooting, I could not see a 12" unpainted steel plate at 875 yards. I just could not resolve it. I could see it through the better (20x+) NightForce glass though.

It'll due for 250 yards no problem unless you're shooting at very small targets.

1" tube.

20130706-LU4C0088-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yep its a good scope, for the $, I like the adjustments, I like the ET glass, they make two versions, Midway has a 30 mm tube version on sale every now and then, at least they used to last year. That being said, I recently got a primary arms FFP mil mil 4-14 x for a 160+ $ for my AR guns, I like it a lot and would go with it over the Bushnell 10X, glass is almost good, tracks well, a bit more power, you can learn mil mil ranging and get used to it for the day you get the NF.

Yep its a good scope, for the $, I like the adjustments, I like the ET glass, they make two versions, Midway has a 30 mm tube version on sale every now and then, at least they used to last year. That being said, I recently got a primary arms FFP mil mil 4-14 x for a 160+ $ for my AR guns, I like it a lot and would go with it over the Bushnell 10X, glass is almost good, tracks well, a bit more power, you can learn mil mil ranging and get used to it for the day you get the NF.

Mine is actually the MidwayUSA special model. The only difference is that it has 0.1 mil adjustments instead of 1/4 MOA. It's still a 1" tube and I think everything else is the same as a standard model.

The Bushnell is made in Japan, I believe at the LOW factory that makes lots of high end glass (which is not to claim that it has high end glass, it doesn't). I assume the PA is made in China. I am cheap and like caviar at value menu prices, but I am skeptical that anything worth having comes from China. A used 10x42mm SWFA SS is also in the $200 range and would be another good option for a placeholder type scope - it's also made in Japan (different factory), and has the improvements of better glass, adjustable parallax, and an etched reticle. The SS would be my #1 placeholder scope recommendation, but I don't think you'll get one quite for $150.

Yes it is good for the money. But I would say it depends on how long it is going to be before you get your coin ready for the Nightforce. I have one mounted on my .22 and its great for that. The same scope was mounted on a .308 and withstood some abuse too. I have no problem seeing what I'm shooting at with it out to 400 Yards. But if its going to be a while before you get the Nightforce and you can drop the $300, then I would say get the SS without a doubt. I had one when I got started and loved it. I was thinking about buying the 12X just to have it for whatever reason. I've become a Vortex fan, but I wont regret a SS purchase either.

Mine is a 1" tube. It's held up well. Mounted on a T/C Encore barrel in .30-06.

The package is very light so it is subjected to some stout recoil.

It's a good bare bones scope for $200 or less.

Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40.

Excellent choice at $300, or a lil less using a Midway code. 1" tube with less elevation than the Bushnell but the flexibility of a variable and decent optical quality.

Or, a SWFA SS off the Sample List.

For a budget scope, the SWFA SS is the ticket. I have never been impressed with the Bushnell in any way.

I've had a few of the Bushnell scopes through the last few years. Make sure you get the mil/mil version for obvious reasons. I've been very happy with them. I had one on a hunting rifle, which was less than ideal with the fixed 10x. I recently replaced that one with the above mentioned Midway special 3-10x40 Weaver. The Weaver is almost identical to the Bushnell, weighs 1 oz more, basically the same turrets with the same feel, and the glass at 10x is indistinguishable. The Bushnell is the only <$200 scope I would consider anymore. I keep one around for load testing new rifles, etc.