• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bushnell 4.5-30x50...anyone got experience?

powasky

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2008
Delaplane, VA
I don't see much about this scope but am looking to pick one up for my Model 54. There's a lot of talk about the 2.5-16, but I'm surprised there's not more out there for a scope with such a great zoom range. Plus it focuses down to 25 for us rimfire guys
grin.gif
. So, anyone have experience with this optic? How does it compare to others in the same sub $1000 price bracket?

Re: Bushnell 4.5-30x50...anyone got experience?

Good glass, accurate tracking,well made and tough. Anything over 20x and the image quality is not as clear. Great for bright light and sunshine, but don't expect it to be anything like a NF.

I have had 2 of them and i liked them,they tracked well and were clear below 25x, however, i am now shooting vortex optics. The pst is about the same price with a better warrenty and i feel there glass is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ollie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had 2 of them and i liked them,they tracked well and were clear below 25x, however, i am now shooting vortex optics. The pst is about the same price with a better warrenty and i feel there glass is better. </div></div>

The selling point of the Bushnell is the side focus that will adjust down to 25 yards; I shoot rimfire and my closest shots are at 25. Part of me wants so say screw it and pick up a PST, but I'm worried that the 50 yard min setting on the side focus will mess with my shots on high mag at close ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm worried that the 50 yard min setting on the side focus will mess with my shots on high mag at close ranges. </div></div>

That's exactly what will happen. Also consider the Leupold EFR series. The "Extended Focus Range" line gets all the way down to 10 yards. It's nice to be able to out focus your ranges.

If you're shooting at 25 yards and you scope focus ends at 25, any tolerancing or lack of glass quality will mean 25 yards is still out of focus but 27 or 28 yards starts to clear up.

A typical Leupold EFR 6.5-20 is also going to be in that same under 1000 price range (800 brand new, 700 used). At that point you're trading focal range and glass quality for magnification range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm worried that the 50 yard min setting on the side focus will mess with my shots on high mag at close ranges. </div></div>

That's exactly what will happen. Also consider the Leupold EFR series. The "Extended Focus Range" line gets all the way down to 10 yards. It's nice to be able to out focus your ranges.

If you're shooting at 25 yards and you scope focus ends at 25, any tolerancing or lack of glass quality will mean 25 yards is still out of focus but 27 or 28 yards starts to clear up.

A typical Leupold EFR 6.5-20 is also going to be in that same under 1000 price range (800 brand new, 700 used). At that point you're trading focal range and glass quality for magnification range.

</div></div>

I've been considering the EFR line but am not sold on Leupold anymore. I personally have no experience with the newer scopes but most of what I have read has me steering away from that direction.

I hadn't considered your point on tolerances in regards to focus, but there are literally no scopes with a 10yd focus that come with any sort of ranging reticle... I'd be stuck with the SII Big Sky line for anything that's close to good quality. I suppose I could send an EFR to the custom shop but as I said above, I am shying away from Leupold. Alternatively, I could just use the scope at lowest mag when shooting closer than the min focus distance - I've found that parallax only becomes an issue on my current scope over 6x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but there are literally no scopes with a 10yd focus that come with any sort of ranging reticle...</div></div>

The Bushnell Elite 3-12 FFP has 10Y parallax and can be had with mildot, BTR, and my favorite-- the G2DMR reticle. I have a pair of the G2DMR versions on my air rifles.

A friend has the 4.5-30 Bushnell and while the tracking is good the glass is pretty dark especially above 20X.

You could also plunk down 3K+ for the S&B 12.5-50 field target scope... but the parallax on that is set specifically for field target competitions and works from 7-70 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see much about this scope but am looking to pick one up for my Model 54. There's a lot of talk about the 2.5-16, but I'm surprised there's not more out there for a scope with such a great zoom range. Plus it focuses down to 25 for us rimfire guys
grin.gif
. So, anyone have experience with this optic? How does it compare to others in the same sub $1000 price bracket? </div></div>

I own the elite tactical version of the 2.5-16 and at a time was considering the 4.5-30 as well. Obviously the two models are vastly different in mag ranges but these were my thoughts:

-20x + mag = save for better glass quality for this range (If 20-30x is not useful)
-If using 30x mag, I probably won't need a low of 4.5x
-At near 30x I would appreciate a finer and possibly different reticle
-The higher mag model is a couple hundred more than the other with little gain in useful magnification and comes in a larger package

The 2.5-16x42:
-Great range and clear throughout
-Better FOV at lower magnification
-Slimmer design
-Parallax down to 10 yards
-120 MOA

Ultimately, I decided to purchase the lower mag tactical model and continue to save for glass that I will be happy with at high mag settings. In my opinion, it has several benefits in design over its big brother and can be had for much cheaper. I picked mine up ($550).
I just believe their are better dedicated high magnification scopes that are just worth saving a little more for... It takes a lot of finesse in manufacture and cost to make everything bright and clear over 20/24x
Also, are you looking at the 6500 or tactical models?

Good luck with your search-

do you seriously need a 4.5-30x50 for shots at 25yds? What are you shooting pennies?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762Mirage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you seriously need a 4.5-30x50 for shots at 25yds? What are you shooting pennies? </div></div>

With that magnification he could shoot seed ticks of a dogs ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762Mirage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you seriously need a 4.5-30x50 for shots at 25yds? What are you shooting pennies? </div></div>

I'm shooting from 10-150 yards. And no, actually smaller than pennies...bulls on the target are dime sized.

Aim small miss small, right? Anyway, I'd rather not turn this into a discussion of whether or not my magnification needs are warranted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powasky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see much about this scope but am looking to pick one up for my Model 54. There's a lot of talk about the 2.5-16, but I'm surprised there's not more out there for a scope with such a great zoom range. Plus it focuses down to 25 for us rimfire guys
grin.gif
. So, anyone have experience with this optic? How does it compare to others in the same sub $1000 price bracket? </div></div>

I own the elite tactical version of the 2.5-16 and at a time was considering the 4.5-30 as well. Obviously the two models are vastly different in mag ranges but these were my thoughts:

-20x + mag = save for better glass quality for this range (If 20-30x is not useful)
-If using 30x mag, I probably won't need a low of 4.5x
-At near 30x I would appreciate a finer and possibly different reticle
-The higher mag model is a couple hundred more than the other with little gain in useful magnification and comes in a larger package

The 2.5-16x42:
-Great range and clear throughout
-Better FOV at lower magnification
-Slimmer design
-Parallax down to 10 yards
-120 MOA

Ultimately, I decided to purchase the lower mag tactical model and continue to save for glass that I will be happy with at high mag settings. In my opinion, it has several benefits in design over its big brother and can be had for much cheaper. I picked mine up ($550).
I just believe their are better dedicated high magnification scopes that are just worth saving a little more for... It takes a lot of finesse in manufacture and cost to make everything bright and clear over 20/24x
Also, are you looking at the 6500 or tactical models?

Good luck with your search- </div></div>

Thanks for the thought-out response. I'm looking at the 6500 Elite. I'm starting to give the 2.5-16 a hard look but I really wanted that high mag.