• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes bushnell 4200 3-12x questions

FishingFool

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
NOLA
1. It seems a lot of distributors had these scopes on clearance earlier in the year. Does that mean there is a newer generation out in the market?

2. I'm considering going to go with a brobo for my ar15. I'm used to red dots and 1-4's mounted on extended eye relief rings for quick and dirty shooting with my ctr stock clicked out only 1-2 clicks (i'm a 3 gunner spray and prayer). For precision shooting on an ar platform, is it really necessary to extend the stock so far out?

3. How forgiving is the eye relief on the bushnell? In odd positions how far off can I go before the scope blacks out?

Thanks.

Re: bushnell 4200 3-12x questions

1. There is a newer generation, but there is nothing new about it, except it has white paint on the knobs instead of green, and it goes by the name "Elite" instead of "4200 Elite".

2. You will still need an extended mount. Not because of the scope, but because of the weapon. AR-15 buttstocks are higher, and in-line with the receiver, unlike most other rifles. This design is great of recoil control, but unfortunately does allow the shooter's cheek to fall closer to the receiver. The closer you get to the receiver, the farther forward the scope needs to sit. Even with a standard A2 buttstock, you'll find that you're crowding the scope without an extended mount, expecially when you shoot prone.

3. The folks around here call that feature the scope's "eye box". The Bushnell is nothing special, meaning it doesn't tolerate much eye misalignment before it blacks out. You can consider this a detriment, but also remember it will force you to maintain a more consistent cheek position. Consistency is the name of the game in precision shooting.

Bushnell did roll the 3200 and 4200 into the same series called "Elite" now. The 6500 remains as well as the "Tactical Elite" series. One slight modification this year was the new "WB" or ultra wide band coating. This is a system of coatings that that Bushnell states uses 60 layers to bring the light transmission to 99.73% per lens. Otherwise, very similar.

Trevor B
OpticsPlanet

It has about five mils more elevation also.A little sensitive to eye position but never bothered me.Do some dry fire with it in the evenings and you'll acclimate quickly.

I have 2 of these scopes-- one on a .22 and another on a precharged air rifle. Very happy with them.

The eyebox gets somewhat "touchy" (but not unbearably so) above 10X and is the most sensitive to position at 12X. Shoot it at 12X all the time and you will learn the value of a consistent cheekweld. Also worth noting is there's a bit of a fisheye effect to the image down around 3-4X.

Between 3-10X the eye relief is more forgiving. At higher powers I've found if you get out of the sweet spot rather than losing all or part of the image the reticle goes out of focus compared to the rest of the image and that is the hint to adjust your position.

I have the 4200 Elite Tactical model, 1/10th click adjustments, clear glass, fine adjustments, etc. Got it for 599 and it was in my opinion well worth it.